Allure Star Class - first and maybe continuing impressions 5/29

I did. Apps were great. Steak was over priced. I get a better steak spending 16 bucks at my butcher. Wife said that the Maine lobster was great.

Biggest disappointment though? The mud pie. Granted it has been a few years since we last cruised but it always used to be light and delicious. This time it was rubbery and almost hard.

Still a nice meal, but not worth the 61 dollars ahead.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Sorry to read that the steak didn't "do the job". I might skip the bacon this time and go for the cream of mushroom soup instead. Choices I tell you.:)

As for the steak, we used to have a cow calf operation and always had one of our own in the freezer. It had no hormones, was free range and grass feed with love. When the time came, once a year, one was hung at the butcher for 21 days prior to coming home. We no longer have the cattle, but my taste buds can still tell the difference. After your review I will go with the "regular" cuts this go around.

Once they started to make their own deserts at Chops (Red Velvet and Mud Pie) it has never tasted the same as the premade ones from a supplier. DW notices the difference as well.

All this food talk, and no packed lunch today. Argh. :eek:

Ok. A few things to comment on.

So I went back and tried to blow up my original photo of the bottles in the bathroom. Unfortunately with my new iPhone those photos were taken in what's called live mode. Which is like mini six second movies. In case you want to animate a photo. So whenever I try to blow it up too far it starts playing little six second movie. So I can't read the labels any better. Sorry. All I can say is they were very pleasant scents in the shower. :-)

We got the questionnaire about a month out. And personal email about 2 weeks out. So I would not hold my breath on the 8 days after booking.

Terkov- I'm sorry you are not having the ideal experience. Having you wait at guest services like that should not happen. I remember when I stopped at guest services to take care of something, and later told that the Francesco, and he was sort of horrified that I had not asked him to do it. You're not supposed to be waiting in line like that. They're not Butler's, but they are your personal assistant on board. That is a definite drop the ball moment. Hope it improves for you!

All I can say about inconsistencies with the genies is that all of them are still in their very first contracts. All of the genies working today started in the same group. I would hope that there will be some weeding out of those that aren't delivering the standard.

And Chops - I always go to chops when a ship offers it. Personally I found chops on allure to be one of the less than great Chops in the fleet. I'm pretty sure I noted in my original review that the service was not spectacular and I was not impressed by the sides. The filet itself was fine. But yes, I like the fillet better at Giovanni's. In retrospect, I definitely would have done dinner twice at Giovanni's instead of Chops.

Matt,

I was able to enlarge your photo from my ipad and here is what the bottles looked like.

IMG_0183

Edited by DiamondSuiteCruiser

Sorry to read that the steak didn't "do the job". I might skip the bacon this time and go for the cream of mushroom soup instead. Choices I tell you.:)

Decisions, Decisions -- but give up bacon! I'm shocked Andrew.:D

Once they started to make their own deserts at Chops (Red Velvet and Mud Pie) it has never tasted the same as the premade ones from a supplier. DW notices the difference as well.

All this food talk, and no packed lunch today. Argh. :eek:

Don't forget to pack the Tim's Andrew! Can't wait for your review/periscopes.:)

Thanks DiamondSuiteCruiser - I guess there's no way to read the fine print at the bottom of the bottle.

And I'm struggling reading all the food stuff since I didn't have lunch. :) and now I'm back at my dealer. Something else broke on the car. I'm in need of a cruise. :)

Ok perhaps someone can help me as I am quite frankly disappointed. Maybe someone telling me I am wrong and my expectations are too high is all I need:

In the one and only email from our genie with a welcome (no questionaire) I told her we could use advise on what to do in jamaca. We wanted a relaxing day at the beach. Stated this again when she met with us on embarkation day at 3. She arrived last night at 9:40 during dinner with one option. At over $250 per person. Jamaca is today. I said no something less $$ and she seemed upset and said none of her passengers ever take group excursions. She then told me to look on the tv. I said we arrive tomorrow and it is 9:40 at night. We are still eating dinner!?!! But I said fine and said I would call her. She looked at her watch and said how late?!!!? Sorry but you are the one coming to me st 9:40 pm. Fast forward to booking a basic transfer to the beech.she states tickets will be outside our door. I confirm there is nothing else we need; there are no towels at all. Wouldn't that be thinking ahead? They have no towels on the gangway unlike Disney who has them everywhere as you leave the ship. We had a great time despite no towels. We arrive back to our room and decide to shower and order lunch in from Johny rockets. Sure No problem it will be 50 min and a charge for my daughters milkshake?! Really?! I just do not get it

Edited by terkov

Terkov - I understand your issues. She seems problematic.

I'm surprised you had no blue beach towels though? Our cabin attendants left us those as a matter of course every day. And the towels on the gangway thing seems to be ship to ship. Most do. But you still should have had them already.

Others have commented on the milkshakes. I agree that stuff like that makes no sense. It should be a true all or nothing experience but there are those little things that aren't included and make you shake your head.

Matt,

I was able to enlarge your photo from my ipad and here is what the bottles looked like.

IMG_0183

Thanks for that, DiamondSuiteCruiser!

Just for future reference, for anyone just curious or that might have sensitivity to scents, using the information you all provided I believe I've found each item on the L'Occitane website:

Soap - http://usa.loccitane.com/shea-butter-extra-gentle-soap-milk,82,1,29193,262550.htm#s=29481

Shower Gel - http://usa.loccitane.com/aromachologie-revitalizing-shower-gel,82,1,29249,604018.htm

Shampoo - http://usa.loccitane.com/aromachologie-repairing-shampoo,82,1,29249,262843.htm#s=29453

Conditioner - http://usa.loccitane.com/aromachologie-repairing-conditioner,82,1,29249,262836.htm#s=29454

Next time I'm in the city, I'll take mom to the L'Occitane store to have her check if the scents will be fine or if we'll have to make other arrangements.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

The gratuity is included too. But you are always welcome to tip your favorite bartenders.

Thanks for all the scoop on this class, really helps if we can lets say obtain one of the star class suites in the future.

Also, your cruise number 50, do you have the wrong year posted on your signature?

Safe travels.

In a couple of weeks, we will be in the Star Class Owners Loft Suite w/ Balcony on the Allure. When should we expect the Genie to contact us? We haven't heard anything from the Genie. Also, we are Pinnacles. The SL Conierges haven't sent their welcome form letter, either. We are not high maintance cruisers, and we are disappointed we haven't heard anything.

In a couple of weeks, we will be in the Star Class Owners Loft Suite w/ Balcony on the Allure. When should we expect the Genie to contact us? We haven't heard anything from the Genie. Also, we are Pinnacles. The SL Conierges haven't sent their welcome form letter, either. We are not high maintance cruisers, and we are disappointed we haven't heard anything.

We are sailing on Allure in a couple of weeks as well and we received the pre cruise Genie survey last Monday.

Edited by chef_christoph

If I was to guess those who not heard have marla as ourselves and another family that have her never got the questionnaire. We did get the email from her with time to board one week prior. Seems those who hot the full lust of question hotbitbabout 2 weeks prior. Here is a muss u think as genies are busy on board with guests. Why not have a land genie in charge or reaching out to everyone? Would avoid some getting emails others not. There is nobeeadin this contact couldn't book dinners etc and pass the info onto the genie. I referenced several things in my email back to marla none of which I think she read.

We are going to be sailing on the Oasis (in star class) in late September and we just received the questionnaire two days ago.

However it was in my SPAM filter and I just happened to recognize and retrieve it.

This was the questionnaire with all the silly random question such as what is your perfect day etc..

I will certainly now be watching my SPAM filter for the welcome email from our Genie.

I'm also hopeful I won't be getting one of the more lackluster genies as well.

I don't think that's unreasonable considering the cost associated with the new suite program

and all of the advertised niceties.

Edited by stevekc

We do check both our spam and our trash boxes everytime we check emails. There is nothing from the Genie or the SL concierge. I guess we have that female Genie who needs to be more responsive to the Star Class guests. Does she have the same staterooms each cruise?

No they move/switch cabins so if you are lucky you will get someone else. I will post a full review when we get back but I can tell you for what we paid, what is advertised and what the brochure promised our experience was far from even meeting our expectations( which to be fair might be to high. We have had a nice trip (it is vacation after all!!!) but no where near anything special in terms of service.

No they move/switch cabins so if you are lucky you will get someone else. I will post a full review when we get back but I can tell you for what we paid, what is advertised and what the brochure promised our experience was far from even meeting our expectations( which to be fair might be to high. We have had a nice trip (it is vacation after all!!!) but no where near anything special in terms of service.

Did you tip the genie. Since the service wasn't up to par.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for all the scoop on this class, really helps if we can lets say obtain one of the star class suites in the future.

Also, your cruise number 50, do you have the wrong year posted on your signature?

Safe travels.

I can't see my signature on tapatalk, but it should say May 2017. That is our next time on Allure - and again in 1720. :)

Yes - they switch up cabins all the time. I think mainly because there must be rotations where someone gets stuck with the long hauls to the ATS's.

Still so sorry to hear about Terkov's experience. All the "original" genies will be going to vacation in October - or so I was told. Except for one who is a former concierge, who already had their time off planned when the genie program started. So they were coming on at some point in the fall.

Hubby and I were just talking about tip amounts. We will still tip our genie but it will be less then our planned amount. I am also very much about feedback ( giving and receiving ) so will share a few basic things she can do to maybe improve. Again, could be my expectations were too high!

One will be if a family states they like to sleep in and the do not disturb sign is still up don't call at 8 am on a sea day And if everyday someone orders the very same coffee perhaps by day 5 when you call them you ask if they want it vs seeming surprised when they order it again. Especially if everyday they repeat this will be our daily breakfast?

Edited by terkov

So i know a bunch of you are asking about if the genies switch rooms or not throughout the weeks and a majority said they did, however, this is a question I asked Francesco last week and he said that they no longer switch. He said it is easier on them if they have the same cabins every week so they are no longer on a rotation like they use to be when this program rolled out

So i know a bunch of you are asking about if the genies switch rooms or not throughout the weeks and a majority said they did, however, this is a question I asked Francesco last week and he said that they no longer switch. He said it is easier on them if they have the same cabins every week so they are no longer on a rotation like they use to be when this program rolled out

Good to know. So now we just have to hope the bad apples get weeded out ;) it obviously says something about Francesco if he has the RLS permanently.