What to do in Barcelona

We just booked the Epic for the end of July and are flying in 2 days prior. On the 2nd day, we plan to do a walking tour, but for our 1st day, after we arrive and check into the hotel, what would be recommended to do for a half day?

TIA!

I take it that you've never been to Barcelona before. Where is the walking tour that you plan to take, and where are you staying? What kind of things are you interested in?

If your walking tour is in the Bario, I'd probably visit the Eixample on the other day, and vice versa. I've got walk suggestions for both.

If you like museums, there are some good ones. Catalan Art is impressive for both the collection and the view.

Most people go to the Sagrada Familia. Barcelona's metro system is very good and easy to use.

Also the hop-on-hop-off buses are a good way to see a lot of the city. We don't normally do hoho's but when we were there a few weeks ago we decided to save our feet, parked ourselves on the upper deck and just enjoyed the view. Did both of the gray line loops (the red buses, not the light blue sides) in half a day, with a long stop on Montjuic for the castle and Joan Miro museum.

on the first day, just walk around as Barcelona is a walkable city.

head to Las Ramblas and stroll down that road with everyone else.

drop in to the La Boqueria market which is there (pick up some fruit salad or snack on some jamon/ham).

you could visit the Barcelona Cathedral - free entry and very beautiful.

On the day we are flying into Barcelona we also have a half day.

We have late afternoon tix to Parc Guell. This allows us some flexibility if the flight is late and we have less than a half day. Assuming we are on time we will go to the Placa Catalunya area and walk around (probably visit the roof of the Corte Ingles). After Parc Guell we plan to take a taxi to Placa Espanyol and the Magic Fountain.

on the first day, just walk around as Barcelona is a walkable city.

head to Las Ramblas and stroll down that road with everyone else.

drop in to the La Boqueria market which is there (pick up some fruit salad or snack on some jamon/ham).

you could visit the Barcelona Cathedral - free entry and very beautiful.

Walking along Las Ramblas was one of the least favorite things we did. Too many walkers and gawkers and “tourists.” I was wanting a set of big bolt cutters to snip off all of the selfie sticks blocking our way.

Every chance we had we slipped into the side streets of El Raval and the Bario. Even when these streets were busy is was a much nicer place to be than on las Ramblas

The Boqueria was interesting, but too crowded going up the middle. The rear and sides were less crowded, but had many closed stalls.

The cathedral is a good place to. It is free at some times and charges a fee at others. I also visited Santa Anna which is one of the older churches in the Bario Gotic.

We just booked the Epic for the end of July and are flying in 2 days prior. On the 2nd day, we plan to do a walking tour, but for our 1st day, after we arrive and check into the hotel, what would be recommended to do for a half day?

TIA!

You can go to http://www.visitacity.com/en/barcelona and put in for a 1 or 2 day easy tour and modify it your your liking and time frame, that's what we are doing. There is a ton of things to do and see there.

Edited by ken_nyc

We just got back from our 14 day trip to Spain with a 7 day cruise included and had a fine time in Barcelona. We arrived at the AP about 10;30 am. Stored our luggage at our hotel. Because we had to board the ship at 2 the next day we kept it easy and did some walking around mid town and checked out the beautiful buildings ,fountains and sat in a few sidewalk cafe's sipping Shangria. If you are walking up to the park, I hope you are if decent physical shape. Picasso museum and the Barcelona cathedral are pretty close together and would work in your time frame. I suppose it depends on how long you look at things. That evening we took in Flemico show with a good Tapas dinner. La Rambla was a bust for us.

No matter what you decide, have a wonderful time.

TIA, not sure where you are staying or flying in from or what you have in mind on the second day but you could visit Las Rambles and take a several hour walk there.

Keith

Thanks, we are staying at Hotel Jazz and flying in from the U.S.

I take it that you've never been to Barcelona before. Where is the walking tour that you plan to take, and where are you staying? What kind of things are you interested in?

If your walking tour is in the Bario, I'd probably visit the Eixample on the other day, and vice versa. I've got walk suggestions for both.

If you like museums, there are some good ones. Catalan Art is impressive for both the collection and the view.

Most people go to the Sagrada Familia. Barcelona's metro system is very good and easy to use.

Also the hop-on-hop-off buses are a good way to see a lot of the city. We don't normally do hoho's but when we were there a few weeks ago we decided to save our feet, parked ourselves on the upper deck and just enjoyed the view. Did both of the gray line loops (the red buses, not the light blue sides) in half a day, with a long stop on Montjuic for the castle and Joan Miro museum.

Great information, thank you!

On the day we are flying into Barcelona we also have a half day.

We have late afternoon tix to Parc Guell. This allows us some flexibility if the flight is late and we have less than a half day. Assuming we are on time we will go to the Placa Catalunya area and walk around (probably visit the roof of the Corte Ingles). After Parc Guell we plan to take a taxi to Placa Espanyol and the Magic Fountain.

Thank you for the suggestions!

We had 2.5 days in Barcelona a couple of years ago before our TA. I did a mini review of where we went and how we got there.

Please note that prices for taxi have changed and I am sure the cost of attractions may have gone up. but, the time it took to see these things should be the same.

We are taking another TA from BCN this fall.

Have a great cruise.!!

edit: sorry, I forgot to add the link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1943583

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas