Flight question

Suzez

Well done Sue,

........as a general rule early evening arrivals are not so bad as there tend to be FEWER Caribbean and South American flights arriving at that time.

CM

Oops! Surprised nobody picked up on my error (missing out the word fewer).

This would appear because it seems to take longer to process folks arriving from the Caribbean and South America. Unfortunately folks arriving from Europe have to use the same line.

Note for our American friends:

I'm not complaining - just explaining why it takes longer at certain times of the day.

I know you have a similar problem in that you have to join the same line at LHR as folks arriving from areas where we are extra vigilant about potential abuse of limited period visitors / student visas.

Oops! Surprised nobody picked up on my error (missing out the word fewer).

This would appear because it seems to take longer to process folks arriving from the Caribbean and South America. Unfortunately folks arriving from Europe have to use the same line.

Note for our American friends:

I'm not complaining - just explaining why it takes longer at certain times of the day.

I know you have a similar problem in that you have to join the same line at LHR as folks arriving from areas where we are extra vigilant about potential abuse of limited period visitors / student visas.

I am liking the word 'fewer'. This gives me hope :)

We won't :) I don't mind standing for a while after a long flight.

We never let these types of things spoil the vacation experience. It's just that I don't have a high tolerance for inefficiency in areas where just a small bit of customer service and attention to detail could enhance the experience. So, I don't just say "oh well" and give them a pass! They are government agencies, that we all subsidize ... and they could do better.

Edited by BigGuy25

We won't :) I don't mind standing for a while after a long flight. We only go to a hotel afterwards to sleep, then 'bring on the cruise' :)

Standing for 'a while' is one thing, standing in a slow moving queue for three hours is another thing entirely..

We have used a Princess package using through a travel agent and direct with Princess Direct.

If you explain your requirements to Princess, they will attempt to accommodate you. Speak to Princess Air or travel agent to change flights if necessary!

We were booked on a direct LHR to MIA , BA flight over Easter a few years back, when there was a strike and our flight was cancelled. As we had booked the whole lot through Princess, it was their problem to get us on another flight....which they did, but it had a stop. The direct route is much simpler as some elderly passengers struggled through Philadelphia airport after Immigration to make the connection.

As far as the hotel is concerned, we were put in Intercontinental Hotel at Doral, Miami which suited us, ( we requested on subsequent trips )as there is a Walmart within walking distance for last minute necessities, although a few side roads to cross. Also fast food restaurants nearby for snacks and/or breakfast if you don't want to use hotel restaurant. Check with travel agent where they have booked you and if not happy request change !!

The transfers involved being picked up from airport and dropped at hotel, then being collected on morning of sailaway and driven to airport. You need to put bags out quite early and coach transfer is at noon. We chose to watch our bags as they were left outside hotel...with many others but without security.

Sorry I can't help with the return from Barcelona.

I think travel agents and Princess need to give guests step by step instructions when they cruising from 'new' ports, to avoid unnecessary stressful situations.

Standing for 'a while' is one thing, standing in a slow moving queue for three hours is another thing entirely..

I must admit, I am not looking forward to that bit of our holiday. It may be the only time we have to do this. If its really so bad, we won't do it again.

I must admit, I am not looking forward to that bit of our holiday. It may be the only time we have to do this. If its really so bad, we won't do it again.

Hopefully it will be a good day and you'll breeze right through!!!

For what it's worth, our last 4 trips through Miami were 15-20 minutes or less for immigration, as B1 visa visitors - we're not even visa waivers like UK citizens. These trips were in March, April and 2 in May. We use the APC kiosks, and get right on through. The lines for the kiosks moved quickly. Fortunately, no X for either of us, however even those lines were 10 people or less on all 4 occasions. The set-up for customs has been changed - again - since January and flows much better than it has for years. And all our flights arrive around 6:40/7pm, as obviously, we're coming from the Caribbean.

The hangup on the kiosks is generally people not being familiar with them and thus taking lots of extra time.. They're quite easy and ask similar questions as the forms, take your picture and fingerprints right there, and you're on your way. I wouldn't be too worried, we'll be through Miami again next week, will be happy to update you if you like..

You're correct ... the automated kiosks asked fewer questions. But, that didn't really matter because we had already filled out the "old' customs form (that we didn't need) on the plane. The old paper form really doesn't take long to fill out ... just name and address, where you were plus your passport number. Then you just check the boxes and say you didn't spend over the max. I'd gladly still do that if the long lines that come with the automated process remain!

I have yet to be given the simplified paper form.

I have yet to be given the simplified paper form.
That's the only kind there is ... unless you've been filling out more than you need to. The top is just name, address and passport number ... then list the countries you've visited. After that you check the boxes saying that you were not traveling for business, not bringing fruits, etc. ... and that you haven't exceeded the maximum spending (that would require you to list everything you purchased on the back of the form). You do nothing on the back of the form if you're under the minimum. It takes about two minutes. Have you had some other form?

That's the only kind there is ... unless you've been filling out more than you need to. The top is just name, address and passport number ... then list the countries you've visited. After that you check the boxes saying that you were not traveling for business, not bringing fruits, etc. ... and that you haven't exceeded the maximum spending (that would require you to list everything you purchased on the back of the form). You do nothing on the back of the form if you're under the minimum. It takes about two minutes. Have you had some other form?

On the front of the form it says to enter "the total value of all goods.....acquired abroad". No box that asks if you have exceeded the max allowance. It also says that on the back "Space is provided to list all the articles you must declare."

On the back it says "Declare all articles that you have acquired abroad and are bringing into the United States.....Declare all articles on this declaration form and show the value in U.S. dollars." Then further down on the back is the section to list the articles and their values.

Edited by caribill

For what it's worth, our last 4 trips through Miami were 15-20 minutes or less for immigration, as B1 visa visitors - we're not even visa waivers like UK citizens. These trips were in March, April and 2 in May. We use the APC kiosks, and get right on through. The lines for the kiosks moved quickly. Fortunately, no X for either of us, however even those lines were 10 people or less on all 4 occasions. The set-up for customs has been changed - again - since January and flows much better than it has for years. And all our flights arrive around 6:40/7pm, as obviously, we're coming from the Caribbean.

The hangup on the kiosks is generally people not being familiar with them and thus taking lots of extra time.. They're quite easy and ask similar questions as the forms, take your picture and fingerprints right there, and you're on your way. I wouldn't be too worried, we'll be through Miami again next week, will be happy to update you if you like..

Yes please, that would be great, thank you :)

We don't mind which airport we fly from, Heathrow or Gatwick, Heathrow is easier for us too. we have included a hotel in either Miami or Fort Lauderdale, I don't know which yet. If we book to fly direct to Fort Lauderdale, we could end up transferring to Miami to a hotel could we not? I don't know how Princess allocate these things. I was told its only about 20 minutes between the 2
Ground transportation between Miami and Fort Lauderdale is readily available - about $50 for a shared shuttle, and $75 - $85. for a private car. Prices are total, (not per person), and in U.S. $ And of course, there's the new upstart - UBER.

Look on these boards; North American Homeports, Florida Departures. We live in Canada and usually sail out of Fort Lauderdale, flying from a nearby U.S. airport. Sometimes it made more sense from a flight cost perspective to fly into Miami.

Edited by Grimsby

We already have included transfers from between airport , hotel and port. Thank you

Sorry another flights question. We are flying to Miami next year to meet Royal Princess. We have never done this before. Our flight lands about 4.55 pm. I am guessing we will get a decent meal on board BA/AA flight. Once we land, we then have the 2-3 hours dreaded immigration to deal with. During this dragged out affair, is there time to eat in the airport? Or at least grab a drink? By the time we have been through the process, it will be late getting to the hotel, about 8.30pm I think we will be too tired to go out and find somewhere to eat. What do others do please?

Hi there,

We flew into Miami at the end of March on the ESTA programme and they now have self service machines there for you to do everything yourself, photos taken, hand prints recorded and paperwork typed up by yourself. There are Customer Service reps going up and down and helping you and we were through in about 15 minutes. Hope that helps.

Lynda & Marty, London

Our flight lands about 4.55 pm. I am guessing we will get a decent meal on board BA/AA flight. Once we land, we then have the 2-3 hours dreaded immigration to deal with. During this dragged out affair, is there time to eat in the airport? Or at least grab a drink? By the time we have been through the process, it will be late getting to the hotel, about 8.30pm I think we will be too tired to go out and find somewhere to eat. What do others do please?

Time, yes. Opportunity, no.

There are no food or beverages available (other than a water fountain) from the time you get off of the plane until you exit customs.

We already have included transfers from between airport , hotel and port. Thank you

Sorry another flights question. We are flying to Miami next year to meet Royal Princess. We have never done this before. Our flight lands about 4.55 pm. I am guessing we will get a decent meal on board BA/AA flight. Once we land, we then have the 2-3 hours dreaded immigration to deal with. During this dragged out affair, is there time to eat in the airport? Or at least grab a drink? By the time we have been through the process, it will be late getting to the hotel, about 8.30pm I think we will be too tired to go out and find somewhere to eat. What do others do please?

With BA you will get a hot lunch about 90 minutes into the flight, followed by afternoon tea (half a sandwich) shortly before arrival. The lunch, as with most economy airline meals, is not exactly substantial. Personally I make sure I have a hot breakfast at the airport before boarding. Alternatively, take a couple of snack bars with you, just in case.

With BA you will get a hot lunch about 90 minutes into the flight, followed by afternoon tea (half a sandwich) shortly before arrival. The lunch, as with most economy airline meals, is not exactly substantial. Personally I make sure I have a hot breakfast at the airport before boarding. Alternatively, take a couple of snack bars with you, just in case.

Thanks, sounds fine to me, we won't starve i'm sure.

Hi Sue,

Been away from the thread for a while and just catching up.

For What It is Worth, my PROVISIONAL plans for my Christmas 2017 (Yup, I plan that far ahead - even though I cannot book flights until 330 days before departure) are as follows:

Fly in from LHR to MIA on American 57 four days before the cruise, aiming to make a two hour connection to American Eagle down to Key West which will get me into bed by 20.00, but knowing that if I miss it American will put a very tired me on a later flight at 21.00.

Fly back up to MIA the day before the cruise, arriving as a domestic passenger in early afternoon, and take a Princess hotel and transfer package which means I don't have to worry about my bags or transport the following morning.

At the end of the cruise I am planning to fly out of FLL to LHR via CLT (Charlotte). Two choices of flight 12.45 with a three and a half hour wait in CLT or 2.45 with a one and a half hour transfer arriving at LHR 06.30 We will go for the 12.45 flight as I would rather get on my way and spend an extra two hours at CLT without my bags than have to hang around FLL for two hours or around MIA until 17.00.

Just so many ways of doing it and tagging the EYW excursion onto the original long haul booking is a lot cheaper than renting a car, which I would not need in Key West.

Edited by Corfe Mixture