Advice to Overseas Cruisers coming to Australia

i did sort of realise bpos meant it was a slightly risque comment but i could not really see how it was oh well made a few laugh so all good

Dear Hawka - I am sorry, I did not read the quote in your post on what you wrote and my subsequent comment was inappropriate now that you have rightly pointed out you were talking about a pav.

I apologise for thinking you were talking about something us old folk used to do but only dream about these days.

Edited by Bpos

Dear Hawka - I am sorry, I did not read the quote in your post on what you wrote and my subsequent comment was inappropriate now that you have rightly pointed out you were talking about a pav.

I apologise for thinking you were talking about something us old folk used to do but only dream about these days.

lol thats ok you did what my friends do to me all the time , i will say something and sometimes i realise as i am saying it there is another meaning to what was said or i won't know but my friends are very quick on turning it into the other meaning we all end up laughing cause i sometimes dig a bigger hole trying to get out of it lmao so all good :) apology accepted i don't mind being kept on my toes so to speak :D

lol thats ok you did what my friends do to me all the time , i will say something and sometimes i realise as i am saying it there is another meaning to what was said or i won't know but my friends are very quick on turning it into the other meaning we all end up laughing cause i sometimes dig a bigger hole trying to get out of it lmao so all good :) apology accepted i don't mind being kept on my toes so to speak :D

Being kept on the toes is like dating Fergie.;)

Alice Springs, no, not just a waterhole, but a famous outback town in the middle of Australia and miles from anywhere. Even the nearest big city is 1500 kms away.

Alice is great to visit and the gateway to Ularu (Big big rock) which thousands of overseas visitors each year. You really need to put this area on your bucket list when organising your land tour segment downunder.

In September, Alice hosts a unique spectacle which rates highly among the top world's sporting events - the Henley-on-Todd (Todd River) Regatta.

Forget the Olympics - this is the one to see, and no mozzies either. But I digress.

It is an event that attracts thousands from everywhere.

Oddly enough, the event has only been cancelled once in it's long history (ln 1993) becaused it rained!!! That is odd don't you agree?

Overseas cruisers, one word of warning, if planning to see the racing, please leave your rod and tackle box at home. Take your camera instead for photos for the folk at home.

Please observe the "No Fishing" ban imposed on the river when the event is being run. Signs will be posted and heavy fines/even jail imposed for offenders.

Should you ignore this advice (and this is what this thread is about), the locals will not tolerate your efforts to catch a rare, elusive and famous Todd River eight legged Sailfish and after your court appearance, will run you out of town.

What a sad end that would be to your wonderful outback adventure.

To give you some idea of this event and tourist attraction, see the attached

photo.

(PS - you can fish before/after the event, will need a licence and only use whitchetty grubs for bait - some people say eat the bait and throw out the fish, cannot be sure on this as I have not tried either)

image.jpg.6c592688621b024e79221122cd21f37b.jpg

Edited by Bpos
diction

Alice Springs, no, not just a waterhole, but a famous outback town in the middle of Australia and miles from anywhere. Even the nearest big city is 1500 kms away.

Alice is great to visit and the gateway to Ularu (Big big rock) which thousands of overseas visitors each year. You really need to put this area on your bucket list when organising your land tour segment downunder.

In September, Alice hosts a unique spectacle which rates highly among the top world's sporting events - the Henley-on-Todd (Todd River) Regatta.

Forget the Olympics - this is the one to see, and no mozzies either. But I digress.

It is an event that attracts thousands from everywhere.

Oddly enough, the event has only been cancelled once in it's long history (ln 1993) becaused it rained!!! That is odd don't you agree?

Overseas cruisers, one word of warning, if planning to see the racing, please leave your rod and tackle box at home. Take your camera instead for photos for the folk at home.

Please observe the "No Fishing" ban imposed on the river when the event is being run. Signs will be posted and heavy fines/even jail for offenders.

Should you ignore this advice (and this is what this thread is about), the locals will not tolerate your efforts to catch a rare, elusive and famous Todd River eight legged Sailfish and after your court appearance, will run you out of town.

What a sad end that would be to your wonderful outback adventure.

To give you some idea of this event and tourist attraction, see the attached

photo.

(PS - you can fish before/after the event, will need a licence and only use whitchetty grubs for bait - some people say eat the bait and throw out the fish, cannot be sure on this as I have not tried either)

Sailed (ran) in the Henley on Todd, a loooooooooooong time ago.

About two weeks later some people drowned there when they had an unexpected downpour and they were camped in the river bed.

Just wanted to say how much I am enjoying this thread.

We are from Scotland and coming over to your shores in 2017 for a cruise on Voyager and was looking for any advice you may care to share. It looks like I came to the right place!

Surprised myself by how much of the Australian slang I was already familiar with but,…also a lot of new ones in there for me to learn so I will be sure to print this off and take it with me.

Enjoying the banter very much.

Thanks and Regards

Ron.

We are from Scotland and coming over to your shores in 2017 for a cruise on Voyager and was looking for any advice you may care to share. It looks like I came to the right place!

Surprised myself by how much of the Australian slang I was already familiar with but,…also a lot of new ones in there for me to learn so I will be sure to print this off and take it with me.

Thanks and Regards

Ron.

Feel free to ask anything you want to know about.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

What banter?

Thanks and Regards

Ron.

Unfortunately you are unlikely to hear much of that slang these days, especially in the cities. You're more likely to hear American slang learnt from TV shows. :(

What cruise are you doing on Voyager? If it's an NZ cruise you might find yourself feeling quite at home if you have a port stop at Dunedin. We did a UK land tour a few years ago which included about ten days in Scotland. I could very easily see how Scottish immigrants to NZ felt so much at home in Dunedin.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Unfortunately you are unlikely to hear much of that slang these days, especially in the cities. You're more likely to hear American slang learnt from TV shows. :(

What cruise are you doing on Voyager? If it's an NZ cruise you might find yourself feeling quite at home if you have a port stop at Dunedin. We did a UK land tour a few years ago which included about ten days in Scotland. I could very easily see how Scottish immigrants to NZ felt so much at home in Dunedin.

Agree about the lingo, almost totally gone.

Agree about the lingo, almost totally gone.

Cannot say I agree with this. Still a lot of Aussie lingo and humour evident in the people I associate with - the older generation is where I fall into these days - unfortunately

Hi,

We are on a repositioning cruise from Sydney to Singapore. Unfortunately on this trip we won’t be going to New Zealand. However for 2018 we are considering a land tour there. Our son was over there a few years back for 8 weeks doing an extensive land tour and raved about it, so my DW and I want to go and see for ourselves how beautiful your country is.

As for Lingo, it is the same here. We visit London and also go to the US a lot, and it never fails me to find it strange that they find it hard to understand me whenever I speak and I have to slow it down big time. I blame the TV.

We sailed on Quantum last year from Dubai to Singapore and there were a lot of folks onboard from Australia. They were a great bunch who loved to party.

My wife and I are really looking forward to this trip very much. Not so much the flight but,….hey ho. We will survive.

Cannot say I agree with this. Still a lot of Aussie lingo and humour evident in the people I associate with - the older generation is where I fall into these days - unfortunately

Some of the lingo has long gone, some is still used but most have evolved and mixed with Americanisms and other forms of globalised language.:D