Cruising with 84 yr old mother

BLJ1

Hi, I have cruised many times with my partner, however, this time my mother who is 84, has decided she wants to come, which is great as she has never flown or travelled very far.

We are going on a transatlantic in October on the Celebrity Eclipse from Southampton, and fly home from Miami, I'm worried about how she will cope with the excursions, as she sometimes suffers with pain in her feet !! we usually do our own excursions when we disembark, do anyone know if we can have a lightweight wheelchair and if there would be a cost for this ? She's adamant that she won't need one, but I have a feeling that she will be glad of it. Also any suggestions about getting around will be gratefully appreciated, we will be doing Boston, New York, Bahamas and Bermuda, ending in Miami. I didn't have the heart to tell her that it may be to much for her as she was so excited when she rang told me she wanted to come.

A very worried daughter

Hi, I have cruised many times with my partner, however, this time my mother who is 84, has decided she wants to come, which is great as she has never flown or travelled very far.

We are going on a transatlantic in October on the Celebrity Eclipse from Southampton, and fly home from Miami, I'm worried about how she will cope with the excursions, as she sometimes suffers with pain in her feet !! we usually do our own excursions when we disembark, do anyone know if we can have a lightweight wheelchair and if there would be a cost for this ? She's adamant that she won't need one, but I have a feeling that she will be glad of it. Also any suggestions about getting around will be gratefully appreciated, we will be doing Boston, New York, Bahamas and Bermuda, ending in Miami. I didn't have the heart to tell her that it may be to much for her as she was so excited when she rang told me she wanted to come.

A very worried daughter

Celebrity Cruises provides wheelchairs to assist guests during boarding and departure of their cruise vacation. During peak times, there may be a wait for assistance.

If a guest would like to ensure they have a wheelchair onboard available, they can bring their own or rent one from an outside vendor who will deliver it to the ship. The following vendors rent wheelchairs to guests with disabilities and have security clearance to get on and off our ships:

Care Vacations: 1-877-478-7827 or 1-780-986-6404

Special Needs at Sea: 1-800-513-4515 or 1-954-585-0575

Guests may bring and use wheelchairs, mobility scooters and other assistive devices onboard our ships. Due to safety reasons, Segways may not be used onboard.

Assistive devices including mobility scooters must be stored and recharged in the guest’s stateroom so fire doors, corridors and elevators are kept clear for emergency evacuation. When parked throughout the ship, they must be parked out of the way to allow safe and easy access by other guests and crew members.

Assistive devices must fit through the stateroom doorway – at least 23 inches for standard staterooms. We offer accessible staterooms with wider doors - at least 32 inches wide which may accommodate larger devices. If the guest has a device larger than 32 inches wide, they should contact the Access Department at 1-866-592-7225.

Mym Mum is 101 and still cruising:D

We have a Diamond de Luxe travelchair/walker. It has proved invaluable.

As a walker it provides stability and can be used as a wheelchair when she gets tired.

Don't worry! When my parents were 84 my husband and I surprised them with a Caribbean cruise with us. As it turns out, mom fell (nothing broken) two days prior, and was really bruised and sore, and the ship provided a wheelchair and a cane. By the end of the cruise she didn't need either one, but the service and attention given to her was amazing.

It was great flying with her in a chair too -- first on, first off, whisked to the front of all the lines!!

A very worried daughter

We have done this cruise [before they added Boston and Bahamas to the itinerary and we had to miss Bermuda because of the weather] and also cruised with my mother when she was 80 so I hope I can help a little.

First I note that Celebrity Cruises has quoted wheelchair providers from the USA. Not sure how that works on a TA so you may find it more helpful to speak to Celebrity in the UK. The last page of the UK Confirmation Invoices is a special needs form. I do not have one to hand but the form may give useful information.

If your mother has pain in her feet, New York needs special planning. It was very cold when we were in New York but the HOHO bus was very crowded and needed a lot of walking to from the bus stops to the places we may have wanted to see [had it been warm enough to get off the bus]. We spent most of our time stationary in traffic. You also had to cross a very wide road to get from the dock to the HOHO bus stop and I would not want to do that with my elderly mother.

On the second day, we took the round the whole island boat tour. This starts and finishes very close to where the ship docks and is a very easy walk. For a supplement [i think US$25 pp] you can "upgrade" to a sectioned off area of the upper deck where you get a good view and hostess service. Well worth doing. We saw much more from the boat tour than the HOHO bus and did it in a great deal more comfort.

We also found that to get a taxi we also needed to cross the road from the dock and I am not sure that I would recommend taxis for getting round New York. In your circumstances, I would make a big occasion of the spectacular sail-in to the city right past the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and other sights. Try to book a room/rooms on the port side. Then spend the day on board enjoying the ship. Then, the next morning, when disembarkation will be less busy, take the round the island boat tour.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Project_gal

You sound like a very caring and concerned daughter. I'm sure both of you will have a lovely time.

I only wish other daughters would show as much concern. I have twice had something to do with mother/daughter pairs, and each time I could see the daughter trying to foist her mother off onto other passengers so that she could do whatever she wished.

Have a great cruise. Proper planning, as you are doing, will help to iron out any problems you may encounter.

A very worried daughter

Hi BLJ1,

I cruise with my Mom, who is 91, and continues to love each day onboard Celebrity's ships. IMO, your concerns are valid, and it's wonderful that you are thining ahead !

With all due respect to Celebrity, I wasn't entirely comfortable with their reply. Yes, they do have wheelchairs, but they arent the lightweight style, and they are often in short supply. In addition, I doubt they'd let you take them off the ship for the entire day, but I could be wrong about that. I highly recommend renting a wheelchair - or better yet... purchasing one, and taking it with you on your sailing. I recently purchased an excellent lightweight wheelchair for my Mom, and think it's a very wise investment. For the amount you will pay for a rental, you can own a lightweight wheelchair.

Another option could be renting a mobility scooter from the 2 places that Celebrity mentioned above. We've rented from both companies, and they are highly recommended.

Here's a link to the type of wheelchair we purchased, and it's great ! : http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical-Lightweight-Transport-Wheelchair/dp/B000TW0CQ6

Hope this is helpful. If you have additional questions, please feel free to post on this thread, or email me. Wishing you, Mom, and your family a wonderful time on Eclipse. We will be getting on in Miami, the day you are departing the ship.

Edited by Host Andy

BLJ1, I went on a terrific cruise with my 86 yo mother a couple of years ago. Lots of people on these boards gave tips that were very helpful. The best tip was to go to a supermarket that has motorized shopping carts and have my mother try using the cart to decide whether or not to rent a scooter. She practiced riding, turning, and backing up. We decided to rent a scooter through the agency the cruise line works with and we were glad we did. The scooter gave my mom a level of independence she wouldn't have had with a wheelchair or walker. Celebrity also sent us a list of excursions that were better suited than others for cruisers with mobility challenges, which was helpful when making plans for ports. Lastly, the staff were great! My mom felt like a superstar because it seemed that whenever she needed assistance someone was there to help out.

My Mom will be 90 this year and is still cruising. She isn't very mobile and uses a wheeled folding tri walker. I plan on having a wheel chair for our next mother daughter cruise. Mom may not like it, but it will ease the swelling in her legs from the long walks. My suggestion would be to avoid the buffets and plan on the dining rooms, specialty restaurants, and room service for breakfast. Be sure to note your cruise reservation as needing a wheelchair to board and disembark. Also add wheel chair assistance to your air reservation. I think it's great that at their age our Moms still have a great sense of adventure 😀

We took my MIL cruising when she was 89. We took this transport chair, because it's light and easy to push, and it's collapsible. Just leave it at the end of the jetway just before you get on any airplane, and they have it there for you when you get off.

Trust me: you don't want to be pushing her around in a big and heavy wheelchair while in port.

We still use it when we take her out to dinner. We are on our third very elderly relative, and have used transport chairs for all three as they aged.

http://www.1800wheelchair.com/product/steel-transport-chair-by-drive/

A very worried daughter

Please don't worry.

My Mum was cruising up to 87, last year we enjoyed 2 cruises, my Mum like yours was in quite a lot of pain as she had very bad Arthritis. Like you it took a lot of persuasion that a wheel chair was needed, but eventually she agreed and we purchased a very light folding chair that turns really easily. As soon as Mum discovered she could get to places that were previously out of reach she was more than happy and never looked back.

We used ship tours when she could manage the coach steps, latterly accessible tours if available, as well as our own tours all were possible with this folding chair. I found ship staff more than helpful when boarding/disembarking and on solstice class there is even a motorized chair lift for tender, not that I think you may need this on your itinerary. My only problem was wrestling the chair away from staff they seemed to have a fascination to push her.

As one other writer said I don't think I would suggest the ship's chairs as they look quite heavy.

Sadly my Mum passed away recently, I still have the chair my email is jmthorpe28 at hotmail dot com. If it would help you and you are interested please contact me.

Your Mum will love the cruise, perfect for someone who doesn't get around quite so well.

Ann

A very worried daughter

Hope she loves it.

We took my MIL cruising when she was 89. We took this transport chair, because it's light and easy to push, and it's collapsible. Just leave it at the end of the jetway just before you get on any airplane, and they have it there for you when you get off.

Trust me: you don't want to be pushing her around in a big and heavy wheelchair while in port.

We still use it when we take her out to dinner. We are on our third very elderly relative, and have used transport chairs for all three as they aged.

http://www.1800wheelchair.com/product/steel-transport-chair-by-drive/

I am sure that anyone dealing with the elderly & infirm know this, but it is worth emphasizing: look for a transport chair, not a wheel chair. A wheel chair is a heavier sturdier device usually powered by the arms & hands of the occupant. A transport chair does not need the special extra grips on the wheels etc as it is meant to be pushed by an assistant. I help my mother-in-law all the time and every time I bless my wife who had the wisdom to buy the lighter easier to carry and store transport chair.

I have just thought of a situation that the other posters have not covered - US Immigration! You will go through this twice - Boston and Miami.

I mentioned that our itinerary was changed due to the weather. The huge compensation for this was only having to go through US Immigration once but that was in New York and horrendous. Even with priority for being in a suite, we ONLY had to stand queuing in a freezing cold shed for about 40 minutes. The majority of passengers had to endure hours of this.

Everyone on board had to go through this even if they did not wish to go ashore. As I said, you will go through Immigration in different ports. We have not sailed into Boston but some of the worst immigration experiences we have had have been at Boston airport.

Miami Immigration takes place in somewhat more comfort than New York but it will require standing for some time.

I strongly suggest that you request wheelchair assistance from Celebrity at both of these ports. This will give you a certain amount of priority because they need to free-up the pushers for other guests. You could use your own chair but this will not speed up the process and, in Miami, you will be trying to push the wheelchair and all your luggage. You could do what we do and use a porter but they tend to move fast and you may have difficulty keeping up if you are not an experienced wheelchair pusher. [believe me, my husband requires assistance in certain situations and I have spent so much time in ports and airports virtually running to keep up with him.]

The more I think about this cruise, the more I think that it is not the best for your mother to try as her first. Not every first timer enjoys the number of sea days that a TA requires. Experiencing US Immigration twice. The potential for bad weather - the more northerly Atlantic route will not necessarily be a smooth as you would want with your elderly mother.

There are some great things as well - Eclipse is a beautiful ship, sailing into New York passed the Statue of Liberty, the [hopefully] good weather by the end of your cruise - but it is a challenging cruise for a first-timer. I know it is so difficult as your mother is so excited about joining you ...

My brother, sister and I cruise regularly with our 80 year old mom, she doesn't have any specific mobility issues but is gradually slowing down with age. We got her a wheelchair last year which we take with us, easy to store in the cabin. Mom isn't too happy we have to wheel her around, but she can conserve her energy for other things and doesn't hold us up. We always do private tours and I inform the operator in advance, we've never had any problems. Just returned from a Med cruise a couple of weeks back and mom was able to go with us almost everywhere, even Cinque Terre.

Please request Celebrity for wheelchair assistance when you check-in for your cruise, that way your mom will have help at embarkation. We usually use our own wheelchair for disembarkation.

Am sure your mom will have a great cruise, enjoy the special time with her:)

Firstly I must say that I can not thank you all enough for your replies, I have only just returned from a day out with my family (including my mother) we are making the most of the summer weather... we have decided to look at a lightweight travelling wheelchair, after a chat over a traditional Sunday dinner, with the family she is now quite happy to give it a try, thank goodness. I will let you all know what we decide, I am going to look at having assistance at embarkation and flying home, as stated I haven't had chance to have a good look at all your replies, again I thank you all.

Firstly I must say that I can not thank you all enough for your replies, I have only just returned from a day out with my family (including my mother) we are making the most of the summer weather... we have decided to look at a lightweight travelling wheelchair, after a chat over a traditional Sunday dinner, with the family she is now quite happy to give it a try, thank goodness. I will let you all know what we decide, I am going to look at having assistance at embarkation and flying home, as stated I haven't had chance to have a good look at all your replies, again I thank you all.

I can highly recommend invacare Alulite lightweight travelling wheelchair dimensions H92 D64 W50 when folded W23 weight 10 kilo ( I can pick up with one hand) . If you need any more information I included my email in a post above.

Reference embarkation, if you arrive using your own chair you will be able to use this, you will also skip the normal lines and go to desks set up specifically for wheelchair users. As another contributor said the same goes for airports you will be able to use your own chair to the aircraft door & often brought back to the door when leaving the aeroplane.

Attached to your 1st invoice should be special requirements form, this just asks if you require any special requirements in state room, asks for dimensions of chair, special food requirements etc. the normal sort of questions. You will find all staff more than helpful, well I always found this

Hope this helps.

... and also remember to note your need for airport assistance on your flight booking. You can do this easily on line for BA and, I am sure, for all/most other airlines. The walks at airports can be very long on hard flooring.

A very worried daughter

Many of the ship's excursions are geared for people who can't do much walking, so you can check that out.

I don't know about the other places but you shouldn't have much trouble getting around in New York on your own. Buses stop every few blocks and the trains stop about every six blocks (don't take a cab, it will take forever to get anywhere and will cost you a fortune). Do you know what you want to see in New York? The bus that runs along Fifth Avenue stops in front of Saint Patrick's Cathedral. Almost every train line stops at Times Square. If you have a limited time in New York City you can take a city tour on a double-decker bus or take a Circle Line boat around Manhattan. If you let me know what you want to see in Manhattan (if you are only there for a day you won't have time to leave the island) I can tell you the best way to get there.

If you are worried about the long lines in Customs, have you considered applying for the Global Entry program? It has been opened up to UK citizens and in most cases you skip the long custom lines and just go to a kiosk.

Edited by basil's mom

I had my first experience of wheelchair use owing to a temporary (hopefully) mobility issue when travelling to Australia and cruising Solstice earlier this year. It really was so much better than struggling and being in pain.

The only issue I had was how cold my feet got with the air conditioning in the airports! I had worn sandals and would have been much better in socks and shoes! With some of your trip being in cooler areas be aware that your Mother may feel the cold more sitting still than you will moving!

Edited by chemmo