Opinions needed regarding MSC

kim826

I have only just become aware of MSC through emails offering some decent pricing on balconies. I have previously been loyal to NCL, Royal, Princess and have tried Celebrity and Holland America. My husband and I are in our early 60's. We enjoy good food, entertainment (but don't need a lot), and a good deal :) Would we be happy trying MSC? Do you have any recommendations? Thank you in advance for any help you can give!

We just booked our first cruise with MSC and very excited about trying something different. Read some of the reviews here...it helped me A LOT in making my decision. PLUS...great people here to help with any of our questions. Good Luck to you!!!:)

MSC is outstanding, read the reviews from experienced cruisers, and for sure check out Radios live from that ended today. The Divina is a beautiful ship with great food,crew, and the best entertainment we have seen on any of our cruises.

We enjoy good food, entertainment (but don't need a lot), and a good deal :) Would we be happy trying MSC? Do you have any recommendations?

I'd say yes and I would recommend taking advantage of a deal that suits your price point. You may be pleasantly surprised with the overall product. The Divina is beautiful and service was very, very good for us.

I have only just become aware of MSC through emails offering some decent pricing on balconies. I have previously been loyal to NCL, Royal, Princess and have tried Celebrity and Holland America. My husband and I are in our early 60's. We enjoy good food, entertainment (but don't need a lot), and a good deal :) Would we be happy trying MSC? Do you have any recommendations? Thank you in advance for any help you can give!

You hit the nail on the head with 'decent pricing". While I am truly a fan of MSC, I think it's wise for US consumers to take price point into consideration when choosing this line. I believe that MSC is currently an EXCELLENT value, however there are some things about MSC that are different than the main-stream lines. Consumers should understand that while the product is not necessarily inferior, it is different with some things being better and some things 'less friendly". (imo).

I notice you have sailed on Royal, Celebrity, and Princess. One of the things you may miss is an adults only area on Divina. There is no solarium and kids sail free (look at the photos posted around the internet and you will notice lots of children). This is fine and all, but there is no real adults-only area to escape unless you consider the pay "deck 18 solarium" which is nothing more than what would otherwise be wasted space with some lounge chairs.

You mentioned you are in your 60's so I'm thinking you may be looking for a quiet spot poolside? That isn't likely to happen on the Divina. I have photos in my review, but Radio also recently posted photos of the pool crowding situation. Think NCL Breakaway/Getaway (only worse).

Food is very subjective, but other than the pizza at the buffet, I found the selection to be less than stellar. Certainly nothing to complain about, and you shouldn't go hungry, but the carving station had meatloaf and corned beef instead of prime or tenderloin and the breakfast had herring instead of salmon. Just a quality thing. Price points on MSC are great, but I think it's wise to remember they must cut corners somewhere to compete.

Entertainment was entirely different. No comedy clubs, no broadway shows (with a plot), no live music with the shows, but I thought the entertainment was really really good! It's just different.

IMO, The ship is GORGEOUS. But again, slightly different. A few have complained that the ship interior is dark. I would tend to agree with this assessment, although it didn't take away from the beauty in my opinion. For me, the difference is that the connection to the ocean from the interior was lacking. The promenade deck is not wide open (covered by life boats for most of the area), therefore many of the interior lounges do not have windows to the exterior. The cabins are decorated in dark colors also. While I personally prefer ships with more natural light in public spaces (think Radiance class), I did find the Divina one of the most beautiful ships I have ever sailed on.

A final difference I think worthy of pointing out is lack of my time dining. This doesn't matter to those who appreciate a fixed table and time, but I notice you have been loyal to NCL and the dining is entirely different on Divina. I had two choices (5:45/8:30, or was it 5:30 and 8:45?? I forget). I was assigned to early and was told quite abruptly that changes were not allowed. I also requested a small table, and was again denied. Many people prefer fixed dining and that's terrific. But for those of us who prefer anytime dining, it simply isn't a choice on Divina (although recent reports indicate the Yacht club might finally be catching onto the my-time vibe).

One of the things MSC does is carry the booking value to the on-board experience. They currently offer the most reasonable drink packages of any of the lines sailing the caribbean and things like laundry, internet, etc.. are also popularily priced. I never once felt gauged or nickle-and-dimed once on-board which was a delightful change.

It may sound like I am thrashing Divina to many of you who are so passionate about the MSC product (known on other boards as MSC cheerleaders). I wouldn't consider myself a cheerleader of any cruise line as I've found they all have positives, but I'm not a hater either :). I liked my March trip so much I'm sailing again in June, but this is largely due to cost-effectiveness and perceived value.

I am just trying to paint a reasonable picture of some of the differences between what you have experienced and MSC (based on my experiences). I find that managing expectations is key to enjoying any vacation and the negative Divina reviews seem to come from those who don't realize that Divina is different. Better in some ways/less desirable in others.

Hope this helps in some small way.

Food is very subjective, but other than the pizza at the buffet, I found the selection to be less than stellar. Certainly nothing to complain about, and you shouldn't go hungry, but the carving station had meatloaf and corned beef instead of prime or tenderloin and the breakfast had herring instead of salmon. Just a quality thing. Price points on MSC are great, but I think it's wise to remember they must cut corners somewhere to compete.

Yes, food is very subjective. However, on our cruise the carving station had a steamship round on the first day and many excellent offerings of various meat, fish and fowl for the rest of the cruise. As for the herring, MSC has many Europeans on board and herring is what is commonly eaten in their culture. My husband (German-Dutch ancestry) was thrilled to see the herring and I also like herring. The herring was excellent and certainly is not a "cost-cutting" measure by any means.

Otherwise, the food selection in the buffet at breakfast, lunch and dinner was wide ranging across a variety of cultures, well prepared, and a large selection of foods. It certainly beat the limited offerings of the buffets on Carnival, RCI, or NCL. It will depend on your own food sophistication as to whether it is "stellar" or not. In any case, there are the ubiquitous hot dogs, hamburgers and fries for the less adventurous.

Yes, food is very subjective. However, on our cruise the carving station had a steamship round on the first day and many excellent offerings of various meat, fish and fowl for the rest of the cruise. This is true, the first day "chicago round" served was the best cut of meat served the entire week at the buffet (imo), but it was in no way a prime. Also true, there are many offerings of foul and fish including things like roasted turkey, bbq chicken legs (no white meat), hoki fish, meatloaf, and Salisbury steak. All all dishes I would consider cost-cutting measures based on prices in the U.S. (which is all I can speak to). I have photos in my review if interested. We can simply agree to disagree about the motives of MSC when making their buffet selections.

As for the herring, MSC has many Europeans on board and herring is what is commonly eaten in their culture. My husband (German-Dutch ancestry) was thrilled to see the herring and I also like herring. The herring was excellent and certainly is not a "cost-cutting" measure by any means. Herring averages 50-75% of the cost of Salmon in the United States. I can link you to multiple sites with the exact pricing if interested, but basically, in the US, herring is significantly cheaper and considered a 'less sophisticated' choice ';-).. You can certainly make the argument that MSC chooses herring because European clientele prefer it and that pricing is not a consideration, and that it is 'more sophisticated'. However, I'm sticking to my belief that it's a cost-cutting measure. The general consumer can make their own decision. PS: I did see salmon one morning, but herring all the rest. We can simply agree to disagree.

Otherwise, the food selection in the buffet at breakfast, lunch and dinner was wide ranging across a variety of cultures, well prepared, and a large selection of foods. It certainly beat the limited offerings of the buffets on Carnival, RCI, or NCL. It will depend on your own food sophistication as to whether it is "stellar" or not. You can't possibly be suggesting that MSC has somehow managed to serve "sophisticated food" on their buffet? Of course, you are welcome to label those of us who found the Salsberry Steak, Hoki Fish, and Herring an odd choice for buffet food as less 'sophisticated' than you in our tastes. I'll stick to my belief that ultimately it's a cost-cutting measure.

My replies to Homosass in red above.

To the OP, Just trying to give you an idea of the differences so you can make an informed decision. Like I said, I'm sailing MSC a second time within a few months and find the value exceptional.

Kim, you don't have your location in your profile, nor do you say where you're considering sailing on MSC.

Just be aware that the Divina sailing from they USE is a bit od a different "animal" form the rest of the fleet. Most of your replies so far, seem to be in respect of the Divina.

I have sailed several times with MSC - as far back as 2001 when they had the smaller ships in their fleet (Melody, Rhapsody and Monterey). I have also been on Poeisa, Lirica and Orchestra - the latter two cruises were from Dubai and sailed around the Emirates. My son and family are based in Dubai and those cruises were great. There are so many places in the UAE that we would still like to see on the itinerary and others we would love to re-visit so we have booked to sail on MSC Fantasia this coming Dec.

For us the prices are good especially as my twin grandsons travel free and my MSC Club Membership bonuses more than cover the dreaded single supplements I have to pay! We booked well in advance and managed to get the All Inclusive Drinks Package included and some on board credit and opted for the Fantasica Experience which although a little more expensive does afford you the options for good cabin selection, good dining room options and other on board discounts.

We have always found the food to be very good, the staff are well trained and most of the Head Waiters are Italian and make sure good standards are maintained at all times. The ships are kept spotlessly clean, entertainment is varied but still enjoyable.

We have always found there is plenty of time in each port making it easier to arrange private excursions as opposed to paying over the odds for the ship's tours.

I have written reviews of my cruises around the Emirates which can be found at:

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=253499

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=273028

Of course, I appreciate that you may not be considering the UAE but from the reviews you will gain an insight into why I like MSC.

The previous poster AmoMondo has travelled MSC extensively and was a great help to me when I was planning my UAE trips and like her I love returning to Dubai.

Good Luck with your plans

Suzanne (Bristol,UK)

Edited by suron
wrong spelling

Give it a try and you can draw your own conclusions. Beautiful ship and great entertainment.

Kim, you don't have your location in your profile, nor do you say where you're considering sailing on MSC.

Just be aware that the Divina sailing from they USE is a bit od a different "animal" form the rest of the fleet. Most of your replies so far, seem to be in respect of the Divina.

This is an excellent point and I need to remember to be specific to Divina when making my replies. Sorry for any confusion. If you are planning MSC outside of the USA, there are things that are significantly different.