Contacting other cruisers on board

kugamuga

When I was on the NCL Epic in 2014 the ship had an on board WiFi that made it possible to contact other cruise members through an app on my smart phone if they also had the app installed. It was very helpful for finding and meeting other people on the ship. In 2 weeks I will be on the Silhouette. Does that ship have anything like that for keeping in touch with fellow cruisers?

Do you KNOW the "fellow cruisers"? I mean, everyone on the ship is a fellow cruiser....not sure I understand what you're after....

NCL's app allows you to do several things onboard (check your balance, reservations, etc.). One of its features is that it issues every user a temporary ID. I can then add people who give me their ID into my app and we can stay in touch by calling or texting each other on the ship using our own devices on the ships Wi-Fi (free once you pay the fee for the app). Our NCL cruise last year I could contact my wife, kids and in laws as to where to meet rather than having to go back to the cabin or have pre-established meeting places. Very convenient for a group, but I like ditching my phone when I'm on board too.

Disney has a similar app that is both free to download and uses the wifi for free for accessing the daily schedule, location info, and messaging between personal devices. The big plus is that you don't need a wifi package to use their app - but any other usage of the internet does incur a fee. It's great to be able to have the daily schedule on your phone - I still carry mine as a camera on the ship, so the added functionality is great.

That said, we have unlimited internet on our first Celebrity cruise, so I'm hopeful we won't have any issues staying in touch with each other on the ship.

NCL's app allows you to do several things onboard (check your balance, reservations, etc.). One of its features is that it issues every user a temporary ID. I can then add people who give me their ID into my app and we can stay in touch by calling or texting each other on the ship using our own devices on the ships Wi-Fi (free once you pay the fee for the app). Our NCL cruise last year I could contact my wife, kids and in laws as to where to meet rather than having to go back to the cabin or have pre-established meeting places. Very convenient for a group, but I like ditching my phone when I'm on board too.

This is what I was hoping for.

Disney has a similar app that is both free to download and uses the wifi for free for accessing the daily schedule, location info, and messaging between personal devices. The big plus is that you don't need a wifi package to use their app - but any other usage of the internet does incur a fee. It's great to be able to have the daily schedule on your phone - I still carry mine as a camera on the ship, so the added functionality is great.

That said, we have unlimited internet on our first Celebrity cruise, so I'm hopeful we won't have any issues staying in touch with each other on the ship.

I was hoping for something similar on the Silhouette :(

This is what I was hoping for.

As far as I know the only way to do it with celebrity would be to have unlimited internet for each person (so multiple devices at same time) and use a messaging system that uses data and not cell service.

As far as I know the only way to do it with celebrity would be to have unlimited internet for each person (so multiple devices at same time) and use a messaging system that uses data and not cell service.

That's not quite how unlimited internet works on Celebrity. What you get is a plan with no limit on minutes used. But only one active device at a time.

When we were on the Millennium a few months ago, if I was logged in and my wife tried to log in, she got a message that another user was active and she had the option to force me off and log in herself (useful if one person forgets to log out). But we could not both be logged in on different devices at the same time.

Edited by bob278

That's not quite how unlimited internet works on Celebrity. What you get is a plan with no limit on minutes used. But only one active device at a time.

When we were on the Millennium a few months ago, if I was logged in and my wife tried to log in, she got a message that another user was active and she had the option to force me off and log in herself (useful if one person forgets to log out). But we could not both be logged in on different devices at the same time.

That's why I said for each person. You would have to have internet for each person (individual accounts) to have multiple devices.

My bad. I didn't read closely enough.

No problem, I just re-read my response and realize I came off kind of terse, sorry for that.

You are correct, just off the Solstice and each internet account is allowed only one device online at a time. Each person would need to register a separate account in order to have their individual phones hooked up at all times.

No problem, I just re-read my response and realize I came off kind of terse, sorry for that.

You are correct, just off the Solstice and each internet account is allowed only one device online at a time. Each person would need to register a separate account in order to have their individual phones hooked up at all times.

At 299 per person its not worth the cost. I'll just make my connections using Messenger on shore from a free WiFi like Mikey D's or Starbucks. Thanks to everyone for their in put.

Just caution with the unlimited internet if this is what you're wanting it for. When we had the unlimited in Janaury I didn't log out but after a while of being unable to send a message I realized that my device would periodically end up getting disconnected and I'd have to log in again. Just something to be aware of if you're thinking a message should be coming in but hasn't.