Sailing Anthem out of New York

Hi everyone we have been a few cruises however not out of New York in February. So I have a few questions I need your help with.

If staying in ear Times Square what is the best way to get to the port on a Tuesday?

Do you sail past Miss Liberty?

Is the Solarium pool warm enough on day 1 or 2? We are normally on the pool deck soaking up the rays have a few drinks getting to know our fellow cruisers? Thank you, Alison

Hi everyone we have been a few cruises however not out of New York in February. So I have a few questions I need your help with.

If staying in ear Times Square what is the best way to get to the port on a Tuesday?

Do you sail past Miss Liberty?

Is the Solarium pool warm enough on day 1 or 2? We are normally on the pool deck soaking up the rays have a few drinks getting to know our fellow cruisers? Thank you, Alison

Anthem sails from Cape Liberty in Bayonne, NJ. The best way to get there from Times Square is a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo (look for online coupons). You can see Miss Liberty from Cape Liberty, but you do not sail past her.

Don't know about the exact pool temp but there is a covered solarium pool as well as a covered pool and an outdoor pool.

Guest maddycat

The solarium in completely enclosed. It will definitely be warm enough to use on the first day. It's also a great place for viewing sail away in colder weather.

We could see the Statue of Liberty as soon as we boarded the ship, so you will be able to see her.

We were on in early March (it snowed the day before we boarded). Solarium water was tolerable...not as warm as we would have liked, but not cold.

I can't speak about getting there from TS. We drove from home.

Another important piece of advice - do not take a NYC cab to Cape Liberty. Once that cab leaves NYC, none of the NYC fare regulations apply (except for trips to EWR). You want to book a reputable car service for the trip.

For the adventurous (and those who don't bring a ton of luggage) you can take the PATH train from 33rd St to the Pavonia/Newport station in Jersey City, transfer to the Hudson-Bergen light rail (the one marked 8th St) and get off at the 34th St. light rail station. You can catch a cab to the port, which is only 3 minutes away.

You can get to the PATH by walking in nice weather or taking the subway (R, N, Q, B, D, F, M lines) to 34th St. You walk underground 1 block to the 33rd St. PATH station.

Subway: 2.75

PATH: 2.75

Hudson-Bergen Light Rail: 2.25

You will be able to take great pictures of Miss Liberty

Don't forget the Tear Drop Memorial too. It was given to us by Russia after 9/11

Going under the V bridge is quite an experience as it appears that the ship will not make it. This happens very soon after sail a way

Leaving from Bayonne is one of the easiest and stressless ports to sail from.

Have a great cruise :)

For the adventurous (and those who don't bring a ton of luggage) you can take the PATH train from 33rd St to the Pavonia/Newport station in Jersey City, transfer to the Hudson-Bergen light rail (the one marked 8th St) and get off at the 34th St. light rail station. You can catch a cab to the port, which is only 3 minutes away.

You can get to the PATH by walking in nice weather or taking the subway (R, N, Q, B, D, F, M lines) to 34th St. You walk underground 1 block to the 33rd St. PATH station.

Subway: 2.75

PATH: 2.75

Hudson-Bergen Light Rail: 2.25

You need to be careful with relying on getting a taxi to the port from the light rail. My daughter lives in Bayonne, and I was leaving my car at her house, I called a taxi, (she couldn't drive me, she was at work) and because of the backups at the port, I had to wait over an hour. The taxis don't want to pick up in Bayonne for the short ride to the port for $6.00 and get stuck waiting for 30-45 minutes in the port waiting to drop you off.

Why would you find it more difficult leaving from NJ? Most of the people who've sailed out of both say Jersey is much easier.

We sailed on her in April, we used Carmel limo, they were very good but the driver did mention tipping several times during the journey, also, I printed off a voucher from their website, called them on the morning we were due to be picked up to confirm and confirm the voucher but the driver would not accept it. It was a good journey though and happy it was a set price as there were long queues to drop off at the port. If I sailed from there again I would use them. The indoor pool and solarium pools were nice temps on our cruise, solarium did get a bit warm as we approached Bermuda so the outdoor pool was busy.

As for the point above, it was easy leaving from NJ, but, as an international tourist coming into JFK I would love to sail out directly from NYC.

You need to be careful with relying on getting a taxi to the port from the light rail. My daughter lives in Bayonne, and I was leaving my car at her house, I called a taxi, (she couldn't drive me, she was at work) and because of the backups at the port, I had to wait over an hour. The taxis don't want to pick up in Bayonne for the short ride to the port for $6.00 and get stuck waiting for 30-45 minutes in the port waiting to drop you off.

My suggestion would be to go early by 10:00 am. The one time I did it I used Bayonne taxi and they sent me a town car that stopped by the light rail on his way into the port for a pickup. That short detour was a quick extra $10 for him. The taxi dispatcher does send out shuttles that go to the light rail and the shopping center, so there are cars servicing the local area. I don't know where your daughter lives in Bayonne, but I can understand the problem of getting local taxi service from an area that is not close to the port.

Why would you find it more difficult leaving from NJ? Most of the people who've sailed out of both say Jersey is much easier.

I am sure anyone who said it lives in Jersey. I love NYC hotels night life, broadway. if a decent line would sail from there they would get my cruise dollars.

What is the earliest boarding time slot for Anthem out of Bayonne?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After the Suites, Diamonds, etc, the masses are allowed to board. The time is just a control, not enforced. Our slot was 1:30, we got there around 10 and were aboard by 11 as Platium.

Edited by Ocean Dancer

After the Suites, Diamonds, etc, the masses are allowed to board. The time is just a control, not enforced. Our slot was 1:30, we got there around 10 and were aboard by 11 as Platium.

Thanks.

I have a 12:30 slot plus I have priority boarding so I didn't know what time Suites and diamond begin to board. So get there about 10am?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The view of the Statue of Liberty is not very good from Bayonne. Battery Park in Manhattan has about the same view. You will be sailing in the opposite direction. The only cruise ships that go past the Statue of Liberty are the ones at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal which is used by Norwegian.

Bayonne NJ is not in a particularly touristy area and is inconvenient for those who are coming from Manhattan since taxi fares are high and the bridge/tunnel tolls are high. The Brooklyn terminal that Carnival & Cunard uses is a little easier for tourists, but the Manhattan pier that Norwegian uses is easiest. The convenience of Bayonne is that it is very close to Newark Airport.

If you don't want to sit in traffic, you can stay in Newport NJ and take PATH trains into Manhattan. I've heard of people doing that to save money on hotels, but again in February you can find a 4 star hotel near Times Square for under $100 per night.

I highly advise NOT staying in Times Square and then leaving for the port in NJ on a Tuesday. Traffic will be horrific and all it takes is one accident on a main road (Turnpike) to shut it down and you missing your cruise.

I think that is a bit extreme. The Holland tunnel backs up in the afternoons and evenings, but it isn't going to be terrible leaving Manhattan on a Tuesday morning in February. I would suggest budgeting plenty of time, but a Tuesday morning in the middle of winter is not bad as long as it is not snowing hard. Trying to get there on a Friday afternoon in the summer when it is raining would be a mess. Normally that drive is about 45 minutes and doesn't involve the NJ turnpike.

We stayed at the Hilton at Penn station the day before our Anthem cruise on 5/14. We sent the day in NY by taking the path train and hopping subways and back via Penn station in the late afternoon. Nice little hotel and close to port.

We were able to see the Statue of Liberty, but not a good clear shot. It was a bit overcast, but going under the bridge was very cool.

Edited by libertybelle41

The view of the Statue of Liberty is not very good from Bayonne. Battery Park in Manhattan has about the same view. You will be sailing in the opposite direction. The only cruise ships that go past the Statue of Liberty are the ones at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal which is used by Norwegian.

Bayonne NJ is not in a particularly touristy area and is inconvenient for those who are coming from Manhattan since taxi fares are high and the bridge/tunnel tolls are high. The Brooklyn terminal that Carnival & Cunard uses is a little easier for tourists, but the Manhattan pier that Norwegian uses is easiest. The convenience of Bayonne is that it is very close to Newark Airport.

If you don't want to sit in traffic, you can stay in Newport NJ and take PATH trains into Manhattan. I've heard of people doing that to save money on hotels, but again in February you can find a 4 star hotel near Times Square for under $100 per night.

I think that is a bit extreme. The Holland tunnel backs up in the afternoons and evenings, but it isn't going to be terrible leaving Manhattan on a Tuesday morning in February. I would suggest budgeting plenty of time, but a Tuesday morning in the middle of winter is not bad as long as it is not snowing hard. Trying to get there on a Friday afternoon in the summer when it is raining would be a mess. Normally that drive is about 45 minutes and doesn't involve the NJ turnpike.

The Celebrity Summit goes up to the Statue of Liberty, does a full rotation so everyone gets an up close view.