"Prime" Rib on Zuiderdam

Sandtrap328

Same with the porterhouse in the Pinnacle recently.

Re: KK's previous post about cheaper quality beef

Maybe someone can correct my thinking if I am mistaken about the "cheaper beef" issue. The previous beef provider, at least in the PG, was Sterling Silver Beef which, as I understood it, was beef from cattle that had been grain fed. The new beef provider whose name I cannot recall is from Washington State, I believe, and their cattle are grass fed.

It is my understanding that cuts of beef from grass fed cattle are more expensive than cuts of beef from grain fed cattle.

Thus, if my understanding is correct, the difference in beef "quality" that many believe exists is not due to a "cheaper" factor, but due to how the cattle from which the beef comes were fed.

Re: KK's previous post about cheaper quality beef

Maybe someone can correct my thinking if I am mistaken about the "cheaper beef" issue. The previous beef provider, at least in the PG, was Sterling Silver Beef which, as I understood it, was beef from cattle that had been grain fed. The new beef provider whose name I cannot recall is from Washington State, I believe, and their cattle are grass fed.

It is my understanding that cuts of beef from grass fed cattle are more expensive than cuts of beef from grain fed cattle.

Thus, if my understanding is correct, the difference in beef "quality" that many believe exists is not due to a "cheaper" factor, but due to how the cattle from which the beef comes were fed.

Like much else in life: the rule that which is more enjoyable is often less healthy applies to beef. Grass fed beef is leaner, is more eco-friendly, and can be more expensive to raise because the cattle take longer to put on weight - and they require much more pasture land - the usage of which is a cost factor. Grain fed cattle reach market weight much more quickly and can be raised in feeding pens rather than more expensive open pasture. When it comes to tenderness and flavor, the grain fed cattle have the desirable marbling (streaks of fat which largely melts when cooked) leading to better flavor as well as tenderness - but because of higher fat content it is seen as less healthy.

I sailed on the Fiords & Highlands cruising on the Zuiderdam in May.

Most of the food was quite good. The fish choices were very good. I especially liked the fish called "swaith". I had never heard of it but excellent tasting.

Anyhow, the beef served was, in my opinion as a lover of good beef, of low quality. The Prime Rib, which I had two nights, was not tender as prime quality beef is supposed to be and was quite flavorless. On the Surf and Turf, the "filet mignon" I was served was actually about a quarter inch thick. I asked the maiter d' what it was and he just shrugged. He brought me a second lobster tail - which was very good. The maiter d' and the wait staff cannot be blamed, of course, for the poor quality of beef. That blame goes to the Food Manager and the Executive Chef for accepting the poor quality of beef.

Is Prime Rib referring just to the location of the meat on the cow or is it ALSO referring to the USDA quality of the meat? The Zuiderdam prime rib might have originated from the proper place on the cow BUT sure wasn't of Prime quality.

Prime Rib refers to the cut of the cow rather than the quality of the beef. Ergo you can have Choice Prime rib, Select Prime Rib and hard to find Prime Prime Rib (even Aged American Wagyu Rib roasts for the low low price of $75/lb;)).

No difference on the other cruise lines either. Very much 'hit and miss'.

The food used to be very good, then it was very good-mediocre. Now it is mostly mediocre. Sometimes good, sometimes less than mediocre...but mostly very mediocre. It can sometimes be in stark contrast to the well laid out place settings. A dab of garnish on the plate does not make up for it either.

Edited by iancal

Or eat in the specialty dining venues.

I recently was disappointed with the quality of the prime rib at a land resort on Maui, so it is not just the ships that are using cheaper grades of prime rib.

igraf

....You might just have to switch from HAL to a more expensive line if food quality is that important to you.

DON

Edited by igraf

Or eat in the specialty dining venues.

I recently was disappointed with the quality of the prime rib at a land resort on Maui, so it is not just the ships that are using cheaper grades of prime rib.

igraf

Our last cruise was on the Prinsendam where they only have the Pinnacle and Canaletto. We had dinner in Canaletto one evening (which only costs us a few dollars since we get 50% off) and it was very good. Tried to go back, with our entire table, late in the cruise..but word had gotten around the ship and the venue was totally booked :). As to the Pinnacle, we have been totally underwhelmed the last few times we ate dinner in that venue (on several ships). Among the upper level alternative restaurants we have dined among multiple cruise lines, the Pinnacle would be in last place...by a mile. However, we still enjoy lunch in the Pinnacle...even though they have cut-back the quality (Wagu Beef burgers have been replaced by something akin to normal meat).

We will be on another HAL ship next month and will try and give the Pinnacle another try....unless we are having too much fun in the MDR :).

Hank

Dear Sandtrap 328

I see you just came off the Zuiderdam and that you are from the villages so you might be the perfect person to ask this question.

We will be going on the Zuiderdam shortly and my husband loves to play pickleball, I know they play a ton in the Villages, so do you know if it was played on the Zuiderdam. We read somewhere that some ships are now playing it. If so did you have to have your own paddle and balls? My DH would rather not bring his good paddle. If they did what kinds of times and how was it organized?

Thanks for any info you may have on this

Cruise Fan 1

Cruise Fan,

Yes, pickleball is a major sport in The Villages. However, I did not see it being played on the Zuiderdam. Our sea days were rather windy and very chilly. On port days, I was ashore. I did see in the daily program about shuffleboard lessons but nothing anywhere about pickleball.

Contact HAL headdquarters and ask them directly. Hopefully, it will be available. Have a great time on your cruise!

You might just have to switch from HAL to a more expensive line if food quality is that important to you.

We have cruised HAL for several years and were always satisfied with the food. Our last cruise on the Zaandam, San Diego to Buenos Aires, the food wasn't up to HAL's usual standards.

We have changed to Oceania and it is hard looking back.

Just off the Zuiderdam 24 night b2b and found the food in the Lido and MDR very good. I was surprised at how often there was lamb in the evening in the Lido and how infrequently beef was available. Prime rib was not available in the Lido those evenings when it was on the MDR menu so we went to the MDR more often than planned.

Whilst the prime rib and filet mignon were good they were still rather lacking in taste compared to those a few years ago on Celebrity and not a patch on the wonderful ones we experienced on Maui in the dim and distant past.

Maybe it's because, as a previous post suggested, the meat is leaner being from grass fed rather than grain fed cattle. There was certainly very little sign of marbling.