Mendenhall Glacier following Tracy Arm excursion?

limoncello07

Hi all: We're taking a 7-day RT cruise onboard the Ruby Princess in late July. For the Juneau portion of the cruise, we are booked on this 6-hour small boat excursion that goes up the Tracy Arm Fjord to see the Twin Sawyer Glaciers, and then continues onward to Juneau. For purposes of trying to allocate the rest of our day in Juneau (as discussed in greater detail here), I'm trying to figure out to whether a visit to Mendenhall Glacier should be a priority for us. I'm specifically wondering whether it will seem repetitive after the morning excursion, in which case we might want balance out our time in Juneau with other types of activities.

From people who have done both -- whether on the same day or at different times -- I'd love to hear how the two experiences compare. Do these seem like two totally different activities to you? Apart from the fact that we'll be seeing the Sawyer Glaciers from a boat, and be viewing Mendenhall Glacier on foot, are the glacier views significantly different? My impression is that we will be seeing the Sawyer Glaciers fairly close up and from below; would hiking in the vicinity of Mendenhall Glacier give us a more "wide screen" perspective on a glacier? It's hard to get a good sense of this from the images I've seen online.

Part of my concern with having variety in our day stems from the fact that two of my traveling companions are 14-year old boys; I'm wondering if, e.g., taking the Mt. Roberts tramway and walking some of the trails up there might be a better alternative for us then 2 glacier experiences on the same day.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and suggestions!

Edited by limoncello07

It would not be for me. I find Mendenhall underwhelming to visit IMO. It is ok but not outstanding. I have been several times to Mendenhall so it is not like I haven't seen it and I have never been overly thrilled with it.

Now, if you were going to take a helicopter and land on Mendenhall, that would be a different story.

Yes they are different but Tracy Arm will be outstanding for you.

Been to both and they offer different perspectives.

One idea...

• when you return from Tracy Arm.... get on the shuttle. I don't think the shuttles require a reservation, so it's flexible on your Tracy arm arrival
  • catch on the last Mendenhall shuttles back to the dock or plan for a taxi
  • keep in mind the last shuttles of the day are very popular.
  • what time does the ship leave Juneau? what time are you expecting to arrive in Juneau from the small boat excursion? How much time do you want at Mendenhall?

I have done both viewings of both glaciers. After seeing Sawyer Glacier and then shuttling out to see Mendenhall is not really worth it. You don't get the true grandeur of Mendenall that way.

As someone else mentioned, taking a helicopter out to it is another thing altogether. I did this last week and it was awesome. VERY much worth the cost involved.

Here's one of many pictures I took while on the glacier:

0?url=http%3A%2F%2Fuse-opa-thumb1-s3.ciggws.net%2F524%2F551%2Ffb8%2Fm%2Ff3bf25e31a10b82a04a9bd9f97384a5b05cff2d6.jpg%3FExpires%3D1465488096%26Signature%3DZVdPC9qWc302-vV6Nnm%7E0o0tbtEJ89dyKtAu-nuX187SXfwEsa6GALe115HumTYFk-1H0BRcdqf%7E0bNuJLVerZr%7EqvYBzhKg78q47PDQyY41cL%7E4u9z38rVMkN%7EOt2tApqu2JafNUmcRBIFXIn-p7a5ibfws7yT%7EvweO9tHdMok_%26Key-Pair-Id%3DAPKAI6Q7XM4O2UGWCGGA

And here is one as we fly over it:

0?url=http%3A%2F%2Fuse-opa-thumb1-s3.ciggws.net%2F1dc%2Fe71%2F8c7%2Fm%2F4ff8c9d8294987d8feb2365600a9268710475e15.jpg%3FExpires%3D1465488154%26Signature%3DCzgC7b8etEvQXqLlz7R1lZ5o4Au5Y1GYPKsHdziq1pMk-ABBnnq489lwJyFvdAl4b0AvAcQYcmsLKhYT0ufxthdnd7h0VfEr7PIdLgZLD8YXI8GRU8kmNEl0oGBlW-Z1VjNgVarvMQ8TcW2UIWm7D%7EaR0v%7EeRL6RD%7EB9Slorh5I_%26Key-Pair-Id%3DAPKAI6Q7XM4O2UGWCGGA

I have done both viewings of both glaciers. After seeing Sawyer Glacier and then shuttling out to see Mendenhall is not really worth it. You don't get the true grandeur of Mendenall that way.

As someone else mentioned, taking a helicopter out to it is another thing altogether. I did this last week and it was awesome. VERY much worth the cost involved.

I completely agree with you!

Thank you very much for all the replies, including the photos! The comments are definitely helping me to get a better picture in my head of what we'd be seeing (or not seeing). Alas, I don't think a helicopter is in the cards for us on this trip. And I think we'll want to be on dry land for a while before going on a whale watch later in the evening. However, maybe as epixx suggests I'll consider Mendenhall as a potential location to do some hiking with distant glacier views as a bonus, rather than going to "see" the glacier per se. It also makes me think we can leave this as a "wait and see" activity, depending on how we're feeling after the boat excursion, what the weather's like, etc. Many thanks again to all!

We much enjoyed going out to Mendenhall despite the fact that we'd been up Tracy Arm in the small boat. One is sitting, the other walking-- and we enjoy walking. The trail up to Nugget Falls is very nice, and up-close view of the falls is great. Of course Mendenhall Glacier doesn't hold a candle to Sawyer and others, but we enjoyed the walk-up aspect.

Thanks very much poss for the additional perspective. I had been thinking mostly about still being distant from the glacier itself, but you make a good point about being able to walk up to the falls. I think indeed we're now going to do a bit of hiking in the area around the glacier, just for purposes of having a nice walk. (And I've eliminated another activity from the schedule so we're not running from one excursion to the next, which will make it more relaxing). We may or may not wind up doing the Nugget Falls trail, but I'm sure we will enjoy being outside in some nice scenery.

It would not be for me. I find Mendenhall underwhelming to visit IMO. It is ok but not outstanding. I have been several times to Mendenhall so it is not like I haven't seen it and I have never been overly thrilled with it.

Now, if you were going to take a helicopter and land on Mendenhall, that would be a different story.

Yes they are different but Tracy Arm will be outstanding for you.

Agree completely. Since you are doing Tracy Arm, I would try to get on a Gasteneau Guiding whale watching/Mendenhall Glacier tour. They do a great job. Mendenhall will be a lot more meaningful with one of their quality guides. Book the glacier landing. Pay for it then forget how much you paid and just enjoy. Temsco does a great job. It's almost like a taxi service.

Agree completely. Since you are doing Tracy Arm, I would try to get on a Gasteneau Guiding whale watching/Mendenhall Glacier tour. They do a great job. Mendenhall will be a lot more meaningful with one of their quality guides. Book the glacier landing. Pay for it then forget how much you paid and just enjoy. Temsco does a great job. It's almost like a taxi service.

Do you have to book Temsco helicopters only through the cruise line, or do they have representatives on the docks?

Thanks again for the additional comments. I agree that being on the actual glacier would be much more exciting -- I've done that before in the Canadian Rockies before, which is one of the reasons why I've been finding the descriptions of a typical visit to Mendenhall Glacier a bit underwhelming. I wish I could figure out a way to give the boys a similar experience of standing on the at least the edge of an actual glacier without a helicopter -- apart from the cost, one of them has had experience with a helicopter crash in his family. I saw a really interesting "paddle and trek" option that would allow us to do just that; unfortunately, it leaves too early in the afternoon for us. Oh well, can't do it all! I have instead gone ahead and booked us on one of the Gastineau Guiding combo tours, which get great reviews, and will make the transportation a bit less complicated. I'm sure we'll enjoy it -- thanks again to everyone for the input!

Thanks again for the additional comments. I agree that being on the actual glacier would be much more exciting -- I've done that before in the Canadian Rockies before, which is one of the reasons why I've been finding the descriptions of a typical visit to Mendenhall Glacier a bit underwhelming. I wish I could figure out a way to give the boys a similar experience of standing on the at least the edge of an actual glacier without a helicopter -- apart from the cost, one of them has had experience with a helicopter crash in his family. I saw a really interesting "paddle and trek" option that would allow us to do just that; unfortunately, it leaves too early in the afternoon for us. Oh well, can't do it all! I have instead gone ahead and booked us on one of the Gastineau Guiding combo tours, which get great reviews, and will make the transportation a bit less complicated. I'm sure we'll enjoy it -- thanks again to everyone for the input!

Have you looked at Glacier Point Wilderness Safari in Skagway - it is not standing on a glacier but it would be a great tour for teenage boys. And it gets outstanding ratings. You can book direct with the company and save some money.

I would take this over a Mendenhall tour (though not familiar with Gastineau Guiding combo tours).

Edited by Coral

Have you looked at Glacier Point Wilderness Safari in Skagway - it is not standing on a glacier but it would be a great tour for teenage boys. .

Wow. Had not seen that, and it does sound great. In terms of scenery and the catamaran experience, it also sounds similar to the Tracy Arm excursion that I've already booked, although more active in a way that's appealing. Do you (or anyone else) have any basis for comparing the two from the perspective of scenery and overall experience? I actually picked our Ruby Princess itinerary for the opportunity to do the Tracy Arm excursion (and was excited to get that booked), but maybe this would be a better option for us. Argh, so many options, so little time! :)

Wow. Had not seen that, and it does sound great. In terms of scenery and the catamaran experience, it also sounds similar to the Tracy Arm excursion that I've already booked, although more active in a way that's appealing. Do you (or anyone else) have any basis for comparing the two from the perspective of scenery and overall experience? I actually picked our Ruby Princess itinerary for the opportunity to do the Tracy Arm excursion (and was excited to get that booked), but maybe this would be a better option for us. Argh, so many options, so little time! :)

You may want to post a separate post comparing the two. I am all about glaciers and the more the better.

This is one tour that has been on my list forever and I will do it on my next trip.

I honestly think both tours are worthy. They are both expensive but if you only go to Alaska once........

Not sure what your plans are in Skagway.

Do you have to book Temsco helicopters only through the cruise line, or do they have representatives on the docks?

In Juneau, getting any helicopter tours without advance reservations is iffy. Many times they are fully booked. IF you don't reserve ahead, you must be accepting of not going, other negative, is inconvenient times. A better chance item if you only need one seat.