I should have listened to my gut- now I am hosed

We're going on a cruise with friends in January. Each of us is handling our own booking and just linking the bookings. That way if wither couple has to cancel, the other is not affected.

Unless you are staying the same room like the OP and her "friend" then this is totally different.

sounds like the friend's company should reimburse the friend and op's cancellation charges (or single supplement, whatever). no way the friend should accept a reimbursement of her charges without explaining to the company how the op is affected, as well. the conference is negatively impacting TWO people, not just one.

So....is the "friends" company reimbursing her lost expenses for not going on the cruise??

If that's the case - she should take their reimbursement but NOT cancel so that it will not effect you at all. Her company can reimburse her, she can be a no show...you still sail!

If the other party explains it to their company, I'm sure they won't give her a problem with it. She should no show. The port fees will be given back. Then she can submit the remainder for reimbursement from her company after the cruise is over. I'm sure carnival would be willing to assist in writing some kind of statement that the person was booked and no showed.

A few weeks out, I don't believe she gets a refund, so you wouldn't have to come up with "single supplement". Your cabin is paid in full.

When your friend calls to cancel her portion, they will just refund port fees but not the cruise fare, so you are still good to go.

Then go on a solo cruise and enjoy making new friends.....or as an option, pay the charge to change passenger and take someone else - who would reimburse your original friend....if she's lucky!

I don't think this part is true. She'd still have to pay the single supplement if her roommate cancels the cruise even though the roommate woud not get any refund other than taxes & port fees.

I am a few weeks out from a cruise I booked with a friend. Everything is paid for. She says she has to cancel last minute because of a bs work project (they are paying for her to go to a all paid conference in Colorado). She says she has to cancel the cruise or her company won't reimburse her for her losses.

Now if she just didn't show up I am pretty sure I could go on the cruise by myself at the same rate. But if she cancels I am going to have to pay extra for a single supplemental fee- it is even too late to find somebody to book her spot at a higher rate I think. This was all early saver.

I can't afford to pay double for the single supplemental so I am going to be out the cruise fare and airfare. My cruise insurance doesn't even cover this.

Sorry I am just venting but I just want to cry right now.

BTW, I don't understand the title of this post - "Listened to my gut".

I had a similar experience. I had booked and paid for a cruise for my so-called fiance's birthday. I booked it out of a location convenient for him (it was a long-distance relationship) and only booked a 5-day so he'd only miss 3 days of work (the other 2 days were a weekend). Well, 3 months prior to sailing, I find out he's been living with another woman for 3 years! So, I showed up on sailing day alone. When the person checking me in asked where the Mr. SoandSo was, I simply said, "he won't be joining me." They checked me in, handed me my Sign & Sail card, and credited my onboard account for the amount of his taxes and port fees. I had a fabulous time!

I don't think this part is true. She'd still have to pay the single supplement if her roommate cancels the cruise even though the roommate woud not get any refund other than taxes & port fees.

I don't think so. The single supplement should only come into play if somehow the friend was refunded their cruise amount - and I don't see how that can happen. OP should be fine to go solo.

No, the "single supplement" has been paid by the unfriend's share of the cruise fare. The unfriend would not get the cruise fare refunded and the OP would not have to pay more.

I don't think I can go now if I don't pay her part or the single supplemental. Lesson learned. But I feel horrible right now. I would never do this to somebody.

Actually you can still go alone with no changes. This happened to us on a girls trip and the person who roomed with her did nothing. They counted her as a no show and no more money was needed.

This is pretty simple in my opinion.

TWO options:

1) If the friend's company is willing to pay all cancellation fees, then they need to be willing to pay for the friends cruise fare AND the single supplement that will be imposed.

2) If the company is NOT willing to pay the single supplement and they will only pay for the friend's cruise fare, then the honorable thing is for the friend to pay the OP the amount that they receive from the company.

At NO point in time should the OP be out of any money because of the friend's decision.

Edited by Tapi

Actually you can still go alone with no changes. This happened to us on a girls trip and the person who roomed with her did nothing. They counted her as a no show and no more money was needed.

True, but the OP mentioned that the friend is required by her company to cancel the cruise in order to receive any type of compensation.

What the friend needs to tell the company is that if they require her to cancel, it's going to cost them more than if she's just a no show. Otherwise they need to fork over twice the amount so that everyone is covered.

let her be a no show. I would go and have a blast alone. I just got off one and have thought how fun alone it would be. You meet new people, you are on your own. Its a lot of fun. Do this for yourself. You deserve it. As around and see if someone you know is available to go.

I don't think I can go now if I don't pay her part or the single supplemental. Lesson learned. But I feel horrible right now. I would never do this to somebody.

Wow. No definitely not! That is not okay...I had a friend back out on my trip but my parents joined it with me so I wouldn't have to cancel and lose the money. Maybe you can change the person? That person really sucks.... I am so sorry.

Can you not just change the name and take someone else? We had the same thing just happen to us on Princess - my son ended up getting a job 3 weeks before we were going on a cruise. We were able to change the name on the cruise and gratuities and transfers. We got a cash refund for part of the flights booked through the cruise line. We found someone else to take the cruise and they just had to buy the flights themselves. There has to be a way to make this work....start looking for people that have passports and can travel on short notice.

We booked the past guest rate which doesn't matter because we will lose all the money this late anyway. My friend actually booked the cruise and I paid my part from my credit card to Carnival, as did she. I talked to Carnival and was told that if she cancelled, even if she didn't get a refund, I would still have to pay the single supplement- I can't find anyone else to go at this point. The conversation with Carnival was pretty "hypothetical" since I am not the booking party.

I talked to my friend (I am really using that term loosely) and she is going to check to see if her company will reimburse her if she is a no show. Lesson learned- I always plan things myself and plan far in advance. I will be in control of my bookings in the future. I have travel insurance, but I'm pretty sure "crappy friend" isn't something they cover. Plus my air fare was over $400 and is non refundable.

I'm sure it will all work the way karma intended. I just feel bad when I should be getting excited. And the conference didn't seem mandatory at all. At least to me it seemed like she couldn't stop gushing over a co worker who would also be going. Good for them- maybe they will hook up, fall in love, etc.

Oh I sound like such a downer right now. Thank you all for putting up with my negative venting poor me routine.

We booked the past guest rate which doesn't matter because we will lose all the money this late anyway. My friend actually booked the cruise and I paid my part from my credit card to Carnival, as did she. I talked to Carnival and was told that if she cancelled, even if she didn't get a refund, I would still have to pay the single supplement- I can't find anyone else to go at this point. The conversation with Carnival was pretty "hypothetical" since I am not the booking party.

I talked to my friend (I am really using that term loosely) and she is going to check to see if her company will reimburse her if she is a no show. Lesson learned- I always plan things myself and plan far in advance. I will be in control of my bookings in the future. I have travel insurance, but I'm pretty sure "crappy friend" isn't something they cover. Plus my air fare was over $400 and is non refundable.

I'm sure it will all work the way karma intended. I just feel bad when I should be getting excited. And the conference didn't seem mandatory at all. At least to me it seemed like she couldn't stop gushing over a co worker who would also be going. Good for them- maybe they will hook up, fall in love, etc.

Oh I sound like such a downer right now. Thank you all for putting up with my negative venting poor me routine.

You sound much nicer than I would be.

What insurance did you have? We usually get insurance that covers for cancelling due to work reasons and covers the single supplement for the person not cancelling if the reason for the cancellation is covered. Have you checked with the insurance company to make sure it is not covered?

Edited by luv2trvlnow