Food, to bring or not to bring?

I was wondering if you are allowed to bring snacks like chocolate and chips, biscuits onto the ship? I've read that we are not allowed to bring bottled drinks on the the ships, which I find kind of restrictive! Were cruising on the Carnival Spirit if that helps?

I was wondering if you are allowed to bring snacks like chocolate and chips, biscuits onto the ship? I've read that we are not allowed to bring bottled drinks on the the ships, which I find kind of restrictive! Were cruising on the Carnival Spirit if that helps?

You can take them on.

You may not be able to take them off again if the package has been opened.

You can buy that kind of healthy tucker in the ship's shops. Albeit not as cheap as ALDI !!

Re drinks, no booze allowed to be taken on board Carnival Spirit, for soft drink/water, check Carnival Site, policies change and some lines will not permit soft drinks being taken on. Of course, they want you buy their own at inflated prices !!

Above all, enjoy your cruise !!

Edited by NSWP

We will always bring food with us as sometimes you feel like snacks etc but not the buffet. The shops are super expensive and don't always carry what you feel like.

We take prepackaged food - chips, popcorn, nuts, muesli bars etc. Single serve packets work really well. No issues with bringing them back into the country - just declare it. We took a photo of everything and showed it to the inspectors who didn't have an issue with it. As long as it is unopened and commercially packaged you will be fine.

As for the drink bottles, you can take an empty one with you and fill it on the ship. Most will require you to fill the bottle by using a glass (so only clean glasses are used against the machine) and the bars are happy to give you ice.

As mentioned, packaged commercial food items like chocolates, lollies, etc are allowed both on and back off the ship in ports and such. Alcohol and other drinks have restrictions, so best to check the carnival website (T&Cs).

LOL, I love cashew nuts so always take a sealed packet when I board, along with my allowed bottle of wine. The ships don't do cashews so a few nuts with a glass of wine for pre-dinner drinks is just the best IMO.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

We're going to make a point of taking on some snacks, just things like a bag of pretzels or chips, maybe some nuts. There's times when you just want something salty and crunchy whilst enjoying a drink lol.

We're going to make a point of taking on some snacks, just things like a bag of pretzels or chips, maybe some nuts. There's times when you just want something salty and crunchy whilst enjoying a drink lol.

I like porky bits or chiccarone (pork scratching's).

If we're in Sydney for The Rocks Markets a bloke there does great licorice, including Sugar free and gluten free, always a nice little treat so we grab a bag and take.

Mrs Gut will also normally take some nuts (not even just Gut).

Anything that is non-alcoholic can be brought on board. The amount of alchol allowed depends on the cruise line and their rules.

That's not true. Some lines here in Australia have strict rules about what non-alcoholic drinks can come on board. This is partly because they want to sell to you on board, and partly because some people were filling soft drink bottles with alcoholic drinks to sneak them on board.

Getting on at a home port is wonderful. We always take some camembert or brie and water crackers and cashews like the above poster. From international ports, it's much harder to locate good soft cheeses, especially in America, so hard cheeses are our preferred carry on food in that instance. If we don't finish our supplies we hand them over to the room steward or the room service waiter. They especially love the soft creamy cheese. In fact, we've sometimes taken extra just to give them with our tip at the end of the cruise :D

On our last Carnival Cruise I was able to view some of the articles that people bring aboard that are on the banned list, they were available for collection near our debarkation assembly point.

At least 40 surge protected power boards, 10 jugs, 8 toasters, 15 irons, 1 full on coffee machine, 1 sandwich toaster, and uncounted bottles of spirits and wines. On chatting with the lady overseeing this collection I was told that this was only one of four collection points.

People either (1)don't read instructions, or (2)are of the type that think that rules don't apply to them, or (3)think they will get away with it.

On our last Carnival Cruise I was able to view some of the articles that people bring aboard that are on the banned list, they were available for collection near our debarkation assembly point.

At least 40 surge protected power boards, 10 jugs, 8 toasters, 15 irons, 1 full on coffee machine, 1 sandwich toaster, and uncounted bottles of spirits and wines. On chatting with the lady overseeing this collection I was told that this was only one of four collection points.

People either (1)don't read instructions, or (2)are of the type that think that rules don't apply to them, or (3)think they will get away with it.

I think there is an equal mix of one and two.:eek:

I like porky bits or chiccarone (pork scratching's).

Not forgetting your popcorn Mic, is there a savoury version?

I am a 'savoury person myself, although some would say unsavoury. LOL. They can stick their sweet treats on the ships, just give me ye olde cheese platter and a glass of red wine or port to wash it down with. On Aurora/Oriana last year they gave me my own mini cheese platter with GF crackers, as I had them in the MDR every night.

Edited by NSWP

Not forgetting your popcorn Mic, is there a savoury version?

I am a 'savoury person myself, although some would say unsavoury. LOL. They can stick their sweet treats on the ships, just give me ye olde cheese platter and a glass of red wine or port to wash it down with. On Aurora/Oriana last year they gave me my own mini cheese platter with GF crackers, as I had them in the MDR every night.

The chiccarone are savoury, Pringles are good too.

Anything that is non-alcoholic can be brought on board. The amount of alchol allowed depends on the cruise line and their rules.

Only in sealed cans (no bottles of any kind) and they restrict the amount.

Alcohol on Carnival limited to one 750ml of wine per adult.

Only in sealed cans (no bottles of any kind) and they restrict the amount.

Alcohol on Carnival limited to one 750ml of wine per adult.

This is not true for sailings from Australia (the OP mentions they are on Carnival Spirit). Here the rules for Carnival are:

- A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages on board in their carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 bottles and/or cans, 600ml each or less.

- No alcohol including wine may be brought on board.

For one thing I won't be taking alcohol onboard as I am not that much into drinking, I will save that for the frozen drinks onboard, can't wait to relax in a lounger with a drink in my hand, either frozen or with lots of ice!!!!:D

You'll love it. About the food; I remember years ago taking fruit boxes and food to Expo 88 - lugged it around and it was a waste of time. Now I think, b***er it; I'll just bite the bullet and buy if I need to or want something. There is plenty to eat onboard.

Edited by Aussieflyer