Awkward Tipper

Juslaugh

No. You must be kidding. If you go to Outback and the bill is $125 and the service was good you pay 20%. If you go to Applebee's and the bill is $45 it's the same. Doctor's or homeless people can eat at either place.

Either you aren't an adult or you don't live in the US. Why do you seem so clueless???

Well you don't seem to be be following the conversation I was having with ducklite. Thanks for resorting to the name calling, mighty big of you.

We are going on our first cruise on the Carnival Dream July 17, 2016. One of the reasons I booked a cruise was because I read where you could prepay gratuities.

You see, I am what you would call and awkward tipper. I never know how much to give to who when we are on vacation, so I just wing it and am usually way over or under the "norm" when I check with my seasoned traveler friends afterwards.

As you can imagine, checking in to a Hotel is more stressful to me than the average well-put-together tipper because I immediately start worrying about who we are supposed to tip and how much. Restaurants I do OK with, but everything else from hair professionals to maid service, I can't ever remember what I am supposed to give to who. I know, there's a app for that. I have it-still doesn't help much.

So I was so happy to have this stress removed from my vacation with the click of a check box and a couple hundred upfront dollars. Then I started reading all of the wonderful reviews on these boards and see that on top of the prepaid tip, almost all of the seasoned cruisers tip more.

Carnival's site says that all the tips other than room service are paid and drink gratuities would be added to my sign and sail card.

I don't want to seem cheap and ungrateful to the staff on the ship so I was wondering what the seasoned cruisers have to say about extra tips. Who do you tip, including excursions, why, and how much.

Thanks!:confused:

There is no norm. I tip who and what I want to. I do not care in the least what others tip and to whom they give tips. That is none of my business and the tips I give is none of theirs. There is no such thing as an awkward tipper.

Working as a server is much more difficult than you would think. They take a lot of abuse and get stiffed by a lot of cheap people who have every excuse in the world other than admitting they are tight wads.

Just when did tipping the recommended tip made someone a tight wad? If you wish to be an overly generous tipper that is your right but I tip the recommended amount and that does not make me a tight wad.

Well you don't seem to be be following the conversation I was having with ducklite. Thanks for resorting to the name calling, mighty big of you.

It is amusing how those who feel that others don't tip well or as they 'should', resort to name calling, instead of just stating their point of view.

It is amusing how those who feel that others don't tip well or as they 'should', resort to name calling, instead of just stating their point of view.

:)

Exactly. I understand how tipping works; I was discussing the reasons servers in higher priced establishments automatically get higher tips because of the price of the meal.

No, I don't think it is a Canadian thing. I am sure there will be fellow Canadians who will agree with you. However though, it could be a more Canadian thing becasue we pay our restaurant staff minimum wage that is the same as most other minimum wage jobs. Restaurant staff here make the same wage as all minimum wage jobs and therefore tips are extra on top of that. So essentailly, they make more.

When eating at a restaurant you will always take up one of their tables and it is their job to serve you. What anyone chooses to tip is irrelevant. Tipping is always optional, never mandatory, and at the discretion of the customer.

And I think that's a difference that you need to account for when you (or I) travel. Here in Canada, the server is getting $10 - $11 an hour base salary; tips are for good service and an incentive to do more for customers than at non-tipped locations (like fast food places where they are paid the same $10-$11 an hour).

In the USA (or on cruise ships), the base wage is very minor. Tips, gratuity, service charges - whatever you want to call it - are expected to make up the majority of the wage. This is well established and common knowledge. Like it or not, tipping on food service is the norm in the USA.

And weighing in on the $3 versus $200 cupcake debate - I would expect that if I were at an inexpensive restaurant serving the $3 cupcake, a good server would take my order, deliver the cupcake in a timely manner, make sure I had a napkin and a fork, and then clear away the plate within 10-15 minutes when I'm done and then bring me the check a few minutes after that. For the $200 cupcake, I would expect a much higher level of service as the restaurant serving it would be of a higher caliber. I would expect suggestions or recommendations on which cupcakes are the best, I would expect them to be able to describe in detail the flavours and details of the cupcake, I would expect that they would automatically give me a glass of water and refill it if necessary, I would expect that they would check on me while eating the cupcake to confirm that it was to my liking and everything I expected.

Just when did tipping the recommended tip made someone a tight wad? If you wish to be an overly generous tipper that is your right but I tip the recommended amount and that does not make me a tight wad.

Please show me where I said tipping the suggested would make one a tightwad. I was referring to people who either don't tip or pay a lower than suggested when service had been at least good.

You have taken up one of their tables preventing them from serving other people, and in the process maybe made a $1.00 in the process. If that seems OK to you, then maybe it is a Canadian thing.

I agree.

My friend and I get together for lunch once a month and we sit at the table talking for 2 hours. We always tip double because we are are essentially taking away the server's tip for another party that could be seated for the second hour we are sitting there. To us, it's the right thing to do.

Please show me where I said tipping the suggested would make one a tightwad. I was referring to people who either don't tip or pay a lower than suggested when service had been at least good.

when you insinuated that an 18 percent tip (54 cents) on a 3 dollar cupcake was unsatisfactory because one is tying up a table for x amount of time and assuming they bring other things such as free water to the table.

And I think that's a difference that you need to account for when you (or I) travel. Here in Canada, the server is getting $10 - $11 an hour base salary; tips are for good service and an incentive to do more for customers than at non-tipped locations (like fast food places where they are paid the same $10-$11 an hour).

In the USA (or on cruise ships), the base wage is very minor. Tips, gratuity, service charges - whatever you want to call it - are expected to make up the majority of the wage. This is well established and common knowledge. Like it or not, tipping on food service is the norm in the USA.

And weighing in on the $3 versus $200 cupcake debate - I would expect that if I were at an inexpensive restaurant serving the $3 cupcake, a good server would take my order, deliver the cupcake in a timely manner, make sure I had a napkin and a fork, and then clear away the plate within 10-15 minutes when I'm done and then bring me the check a few minutes after that. For the $200 cupcake, I would expect a much higher level of service as the restaurant serving it would be of a higher caliber. I would expect suggestions or recommendations on which cupcakes are the best, I would expect them to be able to describe in detail the flavours and details of the cupcake, I would expect that they would automatically give me a glass of water and refill it if necessary, I would expect that they would check on me while eating the cupcake to confirm that it was to my liking and everything I expected.

I understand your argument, I just don't buy into it. I don't believe in tipping based on a % of the final bill, here in Canada or in the US. I tip based on the service I receive. It may be 10- 20% of the bill.

Where someone chooses to work and then rely on tips to supplement their wage is of no consequence to me. I don't let that decide my tipping practices.

I understand that some (or many) don't like that, but that is OK with me and I will continue to tip they way I choose, just as everyone else will.

You didn't answer the question.

This has always been a problem my father has with tipping. He feels he has obtained the same level of service at Denny's and Texas Roadhouse and in some cases superior service at Denny's, but is expected to tip the server at Denny's $2 or $3 and the server at Texas Roadhouse $10. In these two respects that have performed the same job, the food simply costs more in one location.

This has always been a problem my father has with tipping. He feels he has obtained the same level of service at Denny's and Texas Roadhouse and in some cases superior service at Denny's, but is expected to tip the server at Denny's $2 or $3 and the server at Texas Roadhouse $10. In these two respects that have performed the same job, the food simply costs more in one location.

Exactly :confused:

And weighing in on the $3 versus $200 cupcake debate -

A better analogy (and it may have been stated over the past 14 pages) would be a $40 bottle of wine vs a $400 bottle of wine. They both get opened in the same exact manner so why should I tip $8 for one and $80 for the other?

A better analogy (and it may have been stated over the past 14 pages) would be a $40 bottle of wine vs a $400 bottle of wine. They both get opened in the same exact manner so why should I tip $8 for one and $80 for the other?

all of these analogies are really off point but really, if one is wealthy or wasteful enough to spend 400 dollars on a bottle of wine, then yes, they should be wealthy or wasteful enough to spend 80 dollars on the tip. likewise, if a restaurant offers sit down service for a single 3 dollar cupcake they shouldn't be expecting more than a 54 cent tip. like it or not, an 18 percent tip based on the cost of the meal is what is expected in the united states and folks living or visiting here can get with the program or be considered tight wads......among other nasty words......if tipping less while in the us. it really is just as simple as that. of course, if one wants to over tip then i'm sure the servers will be pleased with that.

when you insinuated that an 18 percent tip (54 cents) on a 3 dollar cupcake was unsatisfactory because one is tying up a table for x amount of time and assuming they bring other things such as free water to the table.

In that case, guilty as charged. Anyone who leaves a $.54 tip after taking a table for two hours for a cupcake is not only cheap, but inconsiderate.

Years ago I worked in a coffee shop, and we had a group who would come in every night around 6:30 and take up several tables. They ordered nothing but coffee, getting refill after refill, and left a whopping $.10 to .$25 per check--which usually had one to three people on it. They would stay until between 9:00 and 10:00 pm.

Management finally had to institute a policy that anyone ordering only coffee or coffee and dessert could only occupy the table for 30 minutes. It was ridiculous, rude, and cheap.

In that case, guilty as charged. Anyone who leaves a $.54 tip after taking a table for two hours for a cupcake is not only cheap, but inconsiderate.

Years ago I worked in a coffee shop, and we had a group who would come in every night around 6:30 and take up several tables. They ordered nothing but coffee, getting refill after refill, and left a whopping $.10 to .$25 per check--which usually had one to three people on it. They would stay until between 9:00 and 10:00 pm.

Management finally had to institute a policy that anyone ordering only coffee or coffee and dessert could only occupy the table for 30 minutes. It was ridiculous, rude, and cheap.

so it seems you only like the rules when they benefit you. i have to assume you would have no problem bringing a 100 dollar steak to someone and getting an 18 dollar tip for such a simple act. :rolleyes:

if one was capable of spending 2 hours eating a cupcake at a table in the us, then the server should not mind the 18 percent tip as it is known that that is the standard tip in the us. if the server is not happy with that then they should be out looking for a different job instead of complaining about their tips.

either way though, as i have said, you are free to over tip anytime you so choose and i'm sure the servers will be happy. i will tip the standard wherever i am and if the server isn't happy with that i'm not going ot worry about it because i had no say in the type of job they decided to get or what they need to pay for.

one last note, no rich person ever got rich or stayed rich by being frivolous with money. people only get rich and stay rich by being frugal with their money which of course means foregoing a 3 dollar cupcake to begin with when one can make a dozen for less money. and forget about wasting money on a 100 dollar steak or a 400 dollar bottle of wine. ;)

so it seems you only like the rules when they benefit you. i have to assume you would have no problem bringing a 100 dollar steak to someone and getting an 18 dollar tip for such a simple act. :rolleyes:

if one was capable of spending 2 hours eating a cupcake at a table in the us, then the server should not mind the 18 percent tip as it is known that that is the standard tip in the us. if the server is not happy with that then they should be out looking for a different job instead of complaining about their tips.

either way though, as i have said, you are free to over tip anytime you so choose and i'm sure the servers will be happy. i will tip the standard wherever i am and if the server isn't happy with that i'm not going ot worry about it because i had no say in the type of job they decided to get or what they need to pay for.

one last note, no rich person ever got rich or stayed rich by being frivolous with money. people only get rich and stay rich by being frugal with their money which of course means foregoing a 3 dollar cupcake to begin with when one can make a dozen for less money. and forget about wasting money on a 100 dollar steak or a 400 dollar bottle of wine. ;)

I'll point out that frugal and cheap are two different words with two different meanings.

Some people work as servers because the job meets their family, student, or p/t employment needs. Others because it is a career.

As far as $100 steak, not sure I've ever seen one that expensive on a menu, $60 is probably the highest I have encountered. If I brought someone a $100 steak, that $18 tip would end up being closer to 9 by the time I tipped out everyone I needed to. And if you are serving $100 steak, you most likely only have 10-12 covers and they never turn, so a shift will net you around ~$200 when all is said and done. Not exactly high living.

The $400 bottle of wine, I have more than a few in my cellar. I could sell them for three or more times what I paid for them, so until I drink them, they are an investment. Are any of your investments earning 300% in three years? I don't typically buy expensive wine off a restaurant list. Bern's is an exception due to their pricing structure, if you know what to,look for you can find aged wines well below market price. Typically I seek the hidden gems that out perform their price point in the $40-50 range. Look towards Spain, Austria, Portugal, the Loire, and Alsace for these bottles.

Another good point.

An $80.00 tip IMO is absolutely ridiculous. Now I personally would never be ordering a $400.00 bottle of wine either so I would not have to worry about that tip.

But I could order a $20.00 or a $40.00 bottle of wine and my tip would not double for the more expensive wine.

I personally can't stand that tips/gratitudes are the owners way of making the customer pay the majority of a service persons salary. If service is great they should get a great tip as a nod to the superior service, but why should I have to pay what amounts to guilt tips for poor or mediocre service.

I personally can't stand that tips/gratitudes are the owners way of making the customer pay the majority of a service persons salary. If service is great they should get a great tip as a nod to the superior service, but why should I have to pay what amounts to guilt tips for poor or mediocre service.

You shouldn't. The minute service begins to go south, you should speak to a manager. If it isn't corrected, reduce the tip. That said, don't take a kitchen problem out on the server who is probably as frustrated as you are.

Another good point.

An $80.00 tip IMO is absolutely ridiculous. Now I personally would never be ordering a $400.00 bottle of wine either so I would not have to worry about that tip.

But I could order a $20.00 or a $40.00 bottle of wine and my tip would not double for the more expensive wine.

For the record, a $40 bottle and a $400 bottle are not opened and served the same way. Not even close.

For the record, a $40 bottle and a $400 bottle are not opened and served the same way. Not even close.

It makes no difference to me how they may be served differently. Essentially it is poured into my glass and I enjoy consuming it. That's it. Anything more is not necessary.

It makes no difference to me how they may be served differently. Essentially it is poured into my glass and I enjoy consuming it. That's it. Anything more is not necessary.

I'm guessing you have never had a $400 bottle of wine.

Now, I will start a firestorm here. Try this.

Do not prepay gratuities and on day one tip your room steward a $20 and tell him how you like your room taken care of. I like fresh towels twice a day, new sheets every day, both a morning and evening spruce and the kids love the towel animals.

Then each day leave him another $20. On the last day of the cruise I remove all gratuities and pay the same amount in cash to the restaurant staff and the rest to the steward, and I give my kids each $10 to give to any employee who made their cruise nice. I am still tipping the full amount, even a little more, but my room steward thinks he is being tipped double until the last day and I get superior service. A little underhanded, but that is how they should already be treating everyone.

Now, I have tried it the other way. Thinking maybe I am paying for nothing here, but the one cruise I did prepay, service was dismal compared to the rest, many days I had no towel animal even after mentioning it and had to ask for towels.

Yes, I know, some people behind the scenes miss a tip this way. Sorry, that is a problem Carnival must address. When did tipping become salary for people I never see or speak to?

Never understood why people need their sheets changed everyday.