Birth Certificate question?

I have done two cruises with a birth certificate and drivers license while the rest of the family had passports. Like others said, yes you can do it but let me tell how stressful it is to go out on an excursion, especially one you arranged directly and not via NCL. If you are late for any reason, and things do happen... That ship is leaving without you. Flying to the next port if out of the country or back to your own is going to be a monumental effort and stress-filled experience that could be avoided now with applying for a passport.

I didn't want that over my head again so I splurged for a passport and now have peace of mind and will enjoy my time off the ship better. I also purchased the passport card which can be used instead of the paper passport on sea travel. My plan is to keep the paper passport in the safe, the card on me at ports... And I don't have to worry if I loose my wallet, have it stolen, or get anything wet.

The process was easy, I filled out a questionnaire online and it popped up a completed passport application which I brought to the post office with my original birth certificate. 3 weeks later I had my passport and a few days after my birth certificate.

Whether you use the birth certificate for travel or to get your passport, make sure it is an official one which has a file number on it. Hospitals sometimes provide a "keepsake" certificate which does not have a file number on it... That one is not valid for official use, as another poster said you need the one that was filed with a registrar.

-Keith

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That stress is subjective. We did 10 cruises without passports before we got them for other risk related factors. Our kids, now 19 and 22, just did their 11th without passports. I never had any issues stressing over getting back in time, private excursion or not. If stress would be an issue for OP then they should get the passport. Otherwise the risk is extremely low unless you personally have some extenuating circumstances like we had when got ours. So low many of us don't stress over it.

That stress is subjective. We did 10 cruises without passports before we got them for other risk related factors. Our kids, now 19 and 22, just did their 11th without passports. I never had any issues stressing over getting back in time, private excursion or not. If stress would be an issue for OP then they should get the passport. Otherwise the risk is extremely low unless you personally have some extenuating circumstances like we had when got ours. So low many of us don't stress over it.

Never having a problem getting back in time or not having a medical issue doesn't mean it can't or won't happen in the future. My father-in-law-to-be never had a heart attack before... until he did. I never fell off my Jet Ski and hurt myself... until I did. I'm sure tons of people take the risk since nothing has ever happened to them, but it sure is going to suck if and when it does. I used to be the one willing to take chances like that to save time and money, but these days for me.. it's just not worth the risk, to me it's just common sense to prepare for the "what if's". Those who prepare will be grateful for it should something happen where they need the passport; if they never need it then good for them; they took a chance and it paid off.

-Keith

Passports are like insurance....you don't need it until you need it! LOL!

Insurance is insurance, a passport is a specific travel document that is needed for international air. Even with a passport there will be delays and extra expense involved if you have to leave the ship early.

Never having a problem getting back in time or not having a medical issue doesn't mean it can't or won't happen in the future. My father-in-law-to-be never had a heart attack before... until he did. I never fell off my Jet Ski and hurt myself... until I did. I'm sure tons of people take the risk since nothing has ever happened to them, but it sure is going to suck if and when it does. I used to be the one willing to take chances like that to save time and money, but these days for me.. it's just not worth the risk, to me it's just common sense to prepare for the "what if's". Those who prepare will be grateful for it should something happen where they need the passport; if they never need it then good for them; they took a chance and it paid off.

-Keith

It all comes down to each individual's tolerance of risk. Some tolerate it better than others, nothing more and nothing less. The fact remains that millions of people travel on closed loop cruises every year with something other than a passport and have no issues at all.

Insurance is insurance, a passport is a specific travel document that is needed for international air. Even with a passport there will be delays and extra expense involved if you have to leave the ship early.

It was a joke. I was a Cruise Consultant for 15 years and I've seen situations where people were "stranded" by the cruise line and left in a foreign country to fend for themselves. Even though a passport is "not required" for closed-loop sailings, the cruise lines don't go as far as explaining the what-ifs scenario that might occur when you will need your passport. So like insurance, you don't know that you will need a passport until the sh*t hits the fan.

Also, if you do have a passport and you are NOT doing the cruise line's excursions, I would take the passport on the excursion. If you don't get back in time, they will not wait for you. It happens.

I have been searching stories here and on Google about birth certificates, passports, wallet-sized and other sized.

I've read that BCs were no problem, accepted, rejected because they did not meet certain requirements the traveler did not understand, wallet-size BCs that were happily accepted, and stories where they were not accepted.

But, you know what? I have not read ONE story of anyone ever having a problem with a current passport! Me, personally? I would never take a chance.

You are allowed to travel on the US closed loops without it. It's personal choice whether or not you want to risk the chance of needing it.

At first we were going to use birth certificates then decided to go ahead and get the passports based on a few things:

A ) Ease our worry

B ) Our state might need them for domestic air travel in the near future anyways (check to see if your state is in compliance)

C ) An excursion we wanted to do required it

So it's up to you and your circumstances. Enjoy your trip!!

Edited by txbuffetslayer

I have been searching stories here and on Google about birth certificates, passports, wallet-sized and other sized.

I've read that BCs were no problem, accepted, rejected because they did not meet certain requirements the traveler did not understand, wallet-size BCs that were happily accepted, and stories where they were not accepted.

But, you know what? I have not read ONE story of anyone ever having a problem with a current passport! Me, personally? I would never take a chance.

The only reason that I can think of for an official birth certificate of any size, shape or whatever to be rejected is if it were unreadable. Yes, passport is king and there are no questions when traveling with a current one but seriously if someone has done their due diligence traveling with a birth certificate isn't that much riskier for most people. (And I do recall one thread where the poster was traveling with a passport and on the way to the port lost her passport. As I recall she still boarded the cruise, using a faxed copy of her birth certificate.)

Edited by sparks1093

It was a joke. I was a Cruise Consultant for 15 years and I've seen situations where people were "stranded" by the cruise line and left in a foreign country to fend for themselves. Even though a passport is "not required" for closed-loop sailings, the cruise lines don't go as far as explaining the what-ifs scenario that might occur when you will need your passport. So like insurance, you don't know that you will need a passport until the sh*t hits the fan.

Also, if you do have a passport and you are NOT doing the cruise line's excursions, I would take the passport on the excursion. If you don't get back in time, they will not wait for you. It happens.

Yes, ships do leave on time and it's best to be onboard when they do. I believe that most cruise lines do include information in the FAQ sections to the effect that should you have to leave the ship mid-cruise you would need a passport to fly back. But the thing is, people don't really get stranded, do they? Because there are mechanisms in place to get them home. Yes, there will be extra steps and there may be a delay but they will get home. If someone doesn't like the idea of the extra steps or extra delay then their answer is a simple one as they may obtain a passport. If they are comfortable with the small risk (for most) then they don't (and they make sure that they get back to the ship on time;)).

If you use a birth certificate, PLEASE get a certified copy from your state Health Dept. Don't take a photocopy. Any one who has gotten on a ship with a photocopy has been incredibly lucky. Both my hubby's BC (California) and my BC (Florida) had raised seals, which I understand is important. We're going to renew our expired passports, as we used BC's and drivers licenses on our last cruise and it just made me nervous!

If you use a birth certificate, PLEASE get a certified copy from your state Health Dept. Don't take a photocopy. Any one who has gotten on a ship with a photocopy has been incredibly lucky. Both my hubby's BC (California) and my BC (Florida) had raised seals, which I understand is important. We're going to renew our expired passports, as we used BC's and drivers licenses on our last cruise and it just made me nervous!

There is no luck involved, the regulations allow photocopies to be used. With that said I will say again that it is best to bring the original if at all possible mostly because if you do need to get help from the State Department that is likely what they are going to want to see. But a copy will do in a pinch and many cruises have been saved by a birth certificate being faxed to the port. I know that if faced with the choice of showing up at the port with nothing or showing up with a copy which alternative I would choose.

Photocopies or CERTIFIED copies? I've always been told "original our certified copy" by cruise lines. And I agree, a photocopy is better than nothing, but I wouldn't encourage anyone to just bring a photocopy.

Edited by FLcruisergrl

Photocopies or CERTIFIED copies? I've always been told "original our certified copy" by cruise lines. And I agree, a photocopy is better than nothing, but I wouldn't encourage anyone to just bring a photocopy.

Legible photocopy. A certified copy is actually what you receive from the state when you get your birth certificate (it is not getting a copy notarized which is what many people think is a "certified" copy).

I don't encourage it either, but it is good to know that it is a viable alternative should all else fail. (We had this debate on the CCL board and many were saying that CCL's FAQ, which stated a legible photocopy was acceptable didn't actually mean that so when I boarded my CCL cruise I presented a photocopy of my birth certificate at port security, check in and to the CBP officer post-cruise and none of them said a thing about it. When the DHS regulations say "original or copy" they mean just that.)

• 8 months later...

Stupid Me! My passport has just expired and I am cruising in less than 2 weeks. There is no way I can get a renewal in the short amount of days I have. I do have a birth certificate with the raised seal (wallet size) but it has my maiden name on it (which I just found out from city hall that ALL birth certificates have your maiden name), My question is if this will be an issue because my cruise reservation is obviously in my married name & the birth certificate has my maiden name? Does anyone know if this is going to be an issue?? I am beginning to panic! Thanks!

Stupid Me! My passport has just expired and I am cruising in less than 2 weeks. There is no way I can get a renewal in the short amount of days I have. I do have a birth certificate with the raised seal (wallet size) but it has my maiden name on it (which I just found out from city hall that ALL birth certificates have your maiden name), My question is if this will be an issue because my cruise reservation is obviously in my married name & the birth certificate has my maiden name? Does anyone know if this is going to be an issue?? I am beginning to panic! Thanks!

Bring that, your driver's license, and your marriage certificate.

There is no luck involved, the regulations allow photocopies to be used. With that said I will say again that it is best to bring the original if at all possible mostly because if you do need to get help from the State Department that is likely what they are going to want to see. But a copy will do in a pinch and many cruises have been saved by a birth certificate being faxed to the port. I know that if faced with the choice of showing up at the port with nothing or showing up with a copy which alternative I would choose.

You're required to comply with cruise line requirements, if they are more restrictive then what's required by the US Gov't. I understand some cruise lines require passports for a closed loop cruise.

NCL doesn't accept home made photocopies:

• State certified U.S. birth certificate(Baptismal paper, hospital certificates of birth, and Puerto Rico birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/10 are not acceptable.)

Home made copies might be acceptable under the law but clearly not by NCL. I understand several posters have successfully used home made copies. JMO but anyone who shows up at embarkation with less documentation then required by the cruise line or customs is looking for trouble. It's relatively inexpensive and relatively fast to get a certified copy of your birth certificate. Why go looking for trouble?

Of course your bc is in your maiden name!!

Forever and always you will need something called a "bridge document" when sailing under your married name and NOT using your pp which I assume is in your married name by now

The bridge document....is your original marriage certificates

Simple as pie!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You're required to comply with cruise line requirements, if they are more restrictive then what's required by the US Gov't. I understand some cruise lines require passports for a closed loop cruise.

NCL doesn't accept home made photocopies:

• State certified U.S. birth certificate(Baptismal paper, hospital certificates of birth, and Puerto Rico birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/10 are not acceptable.)

Home made copies might be acceptable under the law but clearly not by NCL. I understand several posters have successfully used home made copies. JMO but anyone who shows up at embarkation with less documentation then required by the cruise line or customs is looking for trouble. It's relatively inexpensive and relatively fast to get a certified copy of your birth certificate. Why go looking for trouble?

Nothing in what you quoted says that NCL won't accept a photocopy and I stand by what I posted- it is best to bring the original but in a pinch it's good to keep in mind that a copy will work. (You might have had something if photocopy were listed among the unacceptable documents but it's not.)

The "bridge document "can also be the license correct??????

Of course your bc is in your maiden name!!

Forever and always you will need something called a "bridge document" when sailing under your married name and NOT using your pp which I assume is in your married name by now

The bridge document....is your original marriage certificates

Simple as pie!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bring that, your driver's license, and your marriage certificate.

I'm going to post this again, since it is apparently being ignored.

The birth certificate you described

Your driver's license

Your marriage certificate.

Done.

> It's relatively inexpensive and relatively fast to get a certified copy of your birth certificate.

Not necessarily. I was able to get a certified copy of my daughter's same-day by overnighting an authorization to my BIL, who went to Houston Vital Records dept (she was born there and he lives there), got the copies, and overnighted them back to me. Expensive but worth it at the time.

But a friend of mine currently needs a certified birth certificate and it will take him 6 months - he was born in California.

> It's relatively inexpensive and relatively fast to get a certified copy of your birth certificate.

Not necessarily. I was able to get a certified copy of my daughter's same-day by overnighting an authorization to my BIL, who went to Houston Vital Records dept (she was born there and he lives there), got the copies, and overnighted them back to me. Expensive but worth it at the time.

But a friend of mine currently needs a certified birth certificate and it will take him 6 months - he was born in California.

Per the State of California it should take about 15 business days from the day they receive your request. More like three weeks, not 6 months.

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/birthdeathmar/Pages/ProcessingTimes.aspx