Birth Certificate question?

Hello my son / fiancé will be traveling with us to Nassau leaving from Miami Florida. My husband and I have passports, they have Birth certificates. I wanted to confirm I was told birth certificates would be accepted could anyone possibly share your thoughts.

Thank you very much,

Birth certificate and photo ID works fine for ship travel, the problem is if you have a medical emergency or miss the ship and need to fly back to the (assuming) US. Not going to happen without a passport, meaning a lot of time and expense at the US consulate....

I have read enough horror stories about people being left at the pier because the birth certificate was not accepted, so that I feel I need to add some info! The birth certificate must be from the Department of Health or other government agency of the state where born. A hospital is not a government agency, so a hospital certificate of live birth is not acceptable.

Some agencies offered cute little wallet sized birth certificates, but they are not acceptable. There needs to be some kind of official seal, raised or otherwise, for the birth certificate to be a valid ID for the cruise. And of course the cruise must be a closed-loop cruise, leaving and returning to the same US port.

A passport is always my first choice for many reasons. But if you go the BC route, make sure you have the right kind.

This story has some valuable info: http://elliott.org/blog/the-ship-sailed-but-they-didnt/

This quote captures my feelings: "Regardless of the reason for the increase in denied-boarding cases like Giannasca’s, the solution is simple, says Janice Hough, a veteran travel agent based in Los Altos, Calif.: “Bring a passport.”

Even though you’re allowed to travel on a closed loop with a valid birth certificate and an ID, you might need to disembark in a foreign port and cut your cruise short. If that happens, you’ll need a passport to get home, says Hough.

Carnival concurs with that advice. In fact, when it comes to travel documentation, that’s one place where it’s uncharacteristically direct. “It is recommended that all guests travel with a valid passport during their cruise,” its Web site says."

Edited by valleyvillage

Your DL and BC are fine on "closed loop" cruises. There is no need to pay the extra money for a passport you'll probably never use again. No worries!

While it might be a pain in the ass if you have to fly home, you WILL get home...the country you might be in does NOT want you, and won't let you stay!

Edited by cb at sea

Your DL and BC are fine on "closed loop" cruises. There is no need to pay the extra money for a passport you'll probably never use again. No worries!

"You'll probably never use again"? I missed that part of the story.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

US Citizens may sail with a

1) valid passport

2) proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver’s license with a photo)

Proof of Citizenship examples include:

State certified U.S. birth certificate

Original certificate of U.S. naturalization

Original certificate of U.S. citizenship

U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad

No need to spend money on a passport.

Make sure the Birth Certificate is issued by the Dept. of Health or the Dept. of Vital Statistics in the state of birth. Also, make sure it is fully completed, including the names of the parents, and it MUST have some type of seal affixed to it.

I have seen some birth certificates that were missing the parents names and they WOULD NOT have been accepted as proof of citizenship.

Make sure the Birth Certificate is issued by the Dept. of Health or the Dept. of Vital Statistics in the state of birth. Also, make sure it is fully completed, including the names of the parents, and it MUST have some type of seal affixed to it.

I have seen some birth certificates that were missing the parents names and they WOULD NOT have been accepted as proof of citizenship.

Although those older birth certificates without parents' names are no longer good for getting passports they are still acceptable for closed loop cruises. Being born is US is sufficient proof.

Edited by NMLady

I use a passport card for my boys and myself. Its a little cheaper than a full passport. You still can't fly outside of US but its a little easier to carry as its the size of a credit card. As my family and I start traveling more we may opt for full passports but passport cards work for now.

While it might be a pain in the ass if you have to fly home, you WILL get home...the country you might be in does NOT want you, and won't let you stay!

It's sad when people think a Passport is expensive. If you are over 16, It is good for 10 years. Yes it is a process to get one, but not very difficult. In the end if you figure it out, the passport costs in the neighborhood of about $15 per year. give our take. Yes it's an upfront expnese, but 10 years is a significant amount of time. IMHO

I ususally don't make this type of statement, but I will in this case. If you can't afford the passport, how can you afford the cruise and the possibility of being stranded for a few days or week in a foreign country if an emergency arose.

It's sad when people think a Passport is expensive. If you are over 16, It is good for 10 years. Yes it is a process to get one, but not very difficult. In the end if you figure it out, the passport costs in the neighborhood of about $15 per year. give our take. Yes it's an upfront expnese, but 10 years is a significant amount of time. IMHO

It's $15/year only if you use it for each of those 10 years. If you don't travel internationally during those 10 years, then for a family of 4 it's an expense of $540 that was basically never used. No need to get a passport until you have an upcoming international trip (which most people know about weeks or months in advance).

I ususally don't make this type of statement, but I will in this case. If you can't afford the passport, how can you afford the cruise and the possibility of being stranded for a few days or week in a foreign country if an emergency arose.

Very very few people have this kind of medical emergency--probably less than 3% (guesstimate) of cruisers have to fly home from a foreign port. For the other 97+%, if they're on a closed-loop cruise, a passport is an expense that is served just as well by a birth certificate.

Do grandchildren ages 7 and 12 need photo ID, in addition to the birth certificate?

Children do not need to have a gov't issued photo I.D. until they are 16 years old. At that time, if they do not have a license, they can apply for a state issued I.D. (we did this for my grandson when he was 16).

It's $15/year only if you use it for each of those 10 years. If you don't travel internationally during those 10 years, then for a family of 4 it's an expense of $540 that was basically never used. No need to get a passport until you have an upcoming international trip (which most people know about weeks or months in advance).

Very very few people have this kind of medical emergency--probably less than 3% (guesstimate) of cruisers have to fly home from a foreign port. For the other 97+%, if they're on a closed-loop cruise, a passport is an expense that is served just as well by a birth certificate.

Agreed, while it is nice to have a passport (some would say required), if a family is doing a "bucket list" cruise it could EASILY add in excess of $500 to the cost, which was neither expected or affordable. If you add that to the gratuities (which is a NECESSARY aspect of cruising), you are suddenly at almost $ 1,000 and you haven't even paid for the cruise yet.

• 1 month later...
Are you able to travel with your original birth certificate as long as it has the seal or do you need to get a newer one to travel with?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"original" is fine, as long as you can still see and feel the seal -- if it looks like it could be mistaken for a photocopy, I'd be safe and get a new one. Also, make sure it isn't badly damaged. I know my original BC is ripped on the creases where my parents folded it, and now it's taped. If there is tape/damage over significant info (i.e. your name, dob, pob) they don't have to accept it.

It depends, when my family started cruising it would have cost us $800-900 for passports. We did our due diligence and determined that for us it was not worth spending the money on something that was not needed for the type of travel we were able to do. As for being stranded in a foreign country that's what insurance is for.

A lot of misinformation in this thread- the birth certificate does not need any type of seal, many states do not use them. The birth certificate needs to be issued by a government entity and can be the wallet sized one if that is what you have. While it is best to bring an original birth certificate a photocopy will work (and if you want to keep the original safe in your bag while you present the photocopy you can do that too). If you do end up having to fly back the Embassy/Consulate has the authority to waive the passport requirement for an emergency or for humanitarian reasons and how much time you spend at the Embassy will depend upon the circumstances more than anything else.

Of course this pertains to US citizens born in the US- US citizens born outside of the US will need an original Consular Report of Birth Abroad or an original Certificate of Naturalization.

Edited by sparks1093

A lot of misinformation in this thread- the birth certificate does not need any type of seal, many states do not use them. The birth certificate needs to be issued by a government entity and can be the wallet sized one if that is what you have. While it is best to bring an original birth certificate a photocopy will work (and if you want to keep the original safe in your bag while you present the photocopy you can do that too). If you do end up having to fly back the Embassy/Consulate has the authority to waive the passport requirement for an emergency or for humanitarian reasons and how much time you spend at the Embassy will depend upon the circumstances more than anything else.

CBP, the people who let you back in after your cruise say an original BC is required (see: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise)

How else can you determine original v copy? A seal. I have NEVER, in all my years of employment, seen a state or territory of the US that issues a BC without a seal. Even the pocket size cards have a seal. It's required in order to obtain a passport, therefore every office of vital statistics must have it.

And, as for misinformation, to say that the Embassy/Consulate has the authority to waive a passport requirement to fly home in an emergency, that is also misinformation. A US Embassy or Consulate can't waive another country's law. What they can do is issue a limited, emergency passport, valid only long enough to get the AmCit home, without seeing all of the necessary identity and citizenship documents required in the US. But it will cost the same as a fully valid, 10 year passport, that you could (and should) and purchased before you left on your cruise.

And, for the record, it takes less than an hour to "make" a passport, so it's unlikely that anyone would be stranded for hours waiting for a passport to be made in a TRUE emergency. Lost your passport in a pub in Ireland? Not an emergency. Your mom was in a car accident and you need to fly home immediately because she's on life support? Emergency.

...without giving too much away, I will say that I have first hand knowledge of passports, visas, embassy/consulate work, etc.

CBP, the people who let you back in after your cruise say an original BC is required (see: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise)

How else can you determine original v copy? A seal. I have NEVER, in all my years of employment, seen a state or territory of the US that issues a BC without a seal. Even the pocket size cards have a seal. It's required in order to obtain a passport, therefore every office of vital statistics must have it.

And, as for misinformation, to say that the Embassy/Consulate has the authority to waive a passport requirement to fly home in an emergency, that is also misinformation. A US Embassy or Consulate can't waive another country's law. What they can do is issue a limited, emergency passport, valid only long enough to get the AmCit home, without seeing all of the necessary identity and citizenship documents required in the US. But it will cost the same as a fully valid, 10 year passport, that you could (and should) and purchased before you left on your cruise.

And, for the record, it takes less than an hour to "make" a passport, so it's unlikely that anyone would be stranded for hours waiting for a passport to be made in a TRUE emergency. Lost your passport in a pub in Ireland? Not an emergency. Your mom was in a car accident and you need to fly home immediately because she's on life support? Emergency.

...without giving too much away, I will say that I have first hand knowledge of passports, visas, embassy/consulate work, etc.

The DHS regulations that govern this issue gives the State Department authority to waive the passport requirements. You aren't presenting your passport at the airport in order to be able to leave the country you are in, you are presenting your passport to demonstrate that you will be admitted to the US when you land.

The DHS regulations also state that an original or copy of a birth certificate are acceptable.

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2008/04/03/E8-6725/documents-required-for-travelers-departing-from-or-arriving-in-the-united-states-at-sea-and-land#h-111

And I do apologize, I meant to say that not all states issue birth certificates with "raised" seals.

(And if you read the link you provided is specifically states "such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate".)

Edited by sparks1093

The DHS regulations that govern this issue gives the State Department authority to waive the passport requirements. You aren't presenting your passport at the airport in order to be able to leave the country you are in, you are presenting your passport to demonstrate that you will be admitted to the US when you land.

(And if you read the link you provided is specifically states "such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate".)[/quote

I'm not going to keep going back and forth, so we can agree to disagree (a copy v original v copy with seal), but again, this passport statement is not true. The US is one of very few (if not the only) country that does NOT have exit controls. Almost every other country (and everyone I've been to for work or pleasure) requires you to present your passport when you leave via plane. You have to have a passport to leave. If that wasn't the case there would be no need to issue US passports overseas.

Enjoy your cruise!

I'm not going to keep going back and forth, so we can agree to disagree (a copy v original v copy with seal), but again, this passport statement is not true. The US is one of very few (if not the only) country that does NOT have exit controls. Almost every other country (and everyone I've been to for work or pleasure) requires you to present your passport when you leave via plane. You have to have a passport to leave. If that wasn't the case there would be no need to issue US passports overseas.

Enjoy your cruise!

You have to remember we are talking about countries within the Western Hemisphere that have all agreed to the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. Here is what the regulations have to say and I'm sure it wouldn't say it if it didn't mean what it says:

(9) When the Department of State waives, pursuant to EO 13323 of December 30, 2003, Section 2, the requirement with respect to the U.S. citizen because there is an unforeseen emergency; or

(10) When the Department of State waives, pursuant to EO 13323 of December 30, 2003, Sec 2, the requirement with respect to the U.S. citizen for humanitarian or national interest reasons;...

I have used a photocopy of my birth certificate so the issue is settled in my mind;).

You have to remember we are talking about countries within the Western Hemisphere that have all agreed to the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. Here is what the regulations have to say and I'm sure it wouldn't say it if it didn't mean what it says:

(9) When the Department of State waives, pursuant to EO 13323 of December 30, 2003, Section 2, the requirement with respect to the U.S. citizen because there is an unforeseen emergency; or

(10) When the Department of State waives, pursuant to EO 13323 of December 30, 2003, Sec 2, the requirement with respect to the U.S. citizen for humanitarian or national interest reasons;...

I have used a photocopy of my birth certificate so the issue is settled in my mind;).

I have done two cruises with a birth certificate and drivers license while the rest of the family had passports. Like others said, yes you can do it but let me tell how stressful it is to go out on an excursion, especially one you arranged directly and not via NCL. If you are late for any reason, and things do happen... That ship is leaving without you. Flying to the next port if out of the country or back to your own is going to be a monumental effort and stress-filled experience that could be avoided now with applying for a passport.

I didn't want that over my head again so I splurged for a passport and now have peace of mind and will enjoy my time off the ship better. I also purchased the passport card which can be used instead of the paper passport on sea travel. My plan is to keep the paper passport in the safe, the card on me at ports... And I don't have to worry if I loose my wallet, have it stolen, or get anything wet.

The process was easy, I filled out a questionnaire online and it popped up a completed passport application which I brought to the post office with my original birth certificate. 3 weeks later I had my passport and a few days after my birth certificate.

Whether you use the birth certificate for travel or to get your passport, make sure it is an official one which has a file number on it. Hospitals sometimes provide a "keepsake" certificate which does not have a file number on it... That one is not valid for official use, as another poster said you need the one that was filed with a registrar.

-Keith

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk