Another 'Beware of shopping in Ketchikan!" or any port, thread

Wishing on a star

I had mentioned that I would post, when I saw the other thread that was bumped up a few days ago. Wished I had seen that one before we sailed!

Anyhow, I am not a huge cruiser, or a huge shopper for jewelry/diamonds/etc. I had absolutely zero plans for that kind of thing, so I had not even looked into it, at all. Did not even look at the info onboard the ship.

My husband had researched a couple of nice, reputable, stores for some real, native Alaskan, items. BUT, I happened to the see the perfect pendant that would be an Alaska keepsake in a store window as we walked by. OMG... the experience was NOT good. Ended up they were trying to misrepresent the piece and take us for FAR more than that piece was worth.

First Advice - as many of you have already heard. Look for a reputable locally owned or at least U.S. store. I would advise anyone to do their research and/or shop around.

If I were to be interested in nice jewels, etc.. I certainly would never consider buying from one of these dealers, and would seek a far more reputable source here at home.

NOTE: The BEST shop and the BEST prices might not be the absolute fanciest looking shop with the most brightly lit showcases.

Second Advice - Avoid shops that are owned and staffed by slick people from overseas. I am sorry if there are those who will try to misconstrue this. But, there simply is no other way to say this. The issues between the more local and/or U.S. operated shops, and the others who seem to be set up with the express mission of misleading and unduly profiting from cruise ship passengers are palpable and almost volatile.

We witnessed the shop owners who had shown us the very very overpriced pendant literally run out onto the sidewalk, verbally and almost physically assaulting the nearby local shop owner/staff. Threatening to call the police, etc. VERY unacceptable and unsettling.

I hate to name names, but I will name two names in this case...

I would go nowhere near Dynasty, located right on Front Street.

Unless getting ripped off and seeing other local shop owners being confronted and threatened is your kind of thing.

We met two other very nice local or U.S. shop owners who helped us, and directed us to the shop called Caribou Crossing... Where my husband found the nice native Alaskan piece that he was hoping for.

If this helps even one future cruiser here, this post was worth it, and my job is done!

: )

Edited by Wishing on a star

Unfortunate you had a bad shopping experience but you’ve provided a good message for others. Yes, there are many places that aren’t the most reputable.

Need to look for the Made in Alaska sticker with two bears on it. There are several threads regarding this although it seems that they die until someone gets caught up in a bad purchase and another thread is started.

https://www.commerce.alaska.gov/web/ded/DEV/MadeInAlaska/

I was so disappointed while on an Alaska cruise a few years ago that they were actually promoting Diamonds International.

I've been doing internet research on where I might want to spend my time and money, to utilize port time well! Do you feel that you can get enough information on a shop when you Google "shopping" for a particular port? Or do most of the real Alaska-made gift shops not show up on Google searches, and you'd have to stumble upon them while walking the port? Not really interested in jewelry/gems per se, but something definitely made in Alaska. Thanks in advance!

I always tend to shop at the local, small business type places when I am in port. I always avoid the "recommended by the cruise ship" shops. The lone exception being Del Sol. (Love that place!)

I always tend to shop at the local, small business type places when I am in port. I always avoid the "recommended by the cruise ship" shops. The lone exception being Del Sol. (Love that place!)

Thanks OP for the info. Fortunately I am not much into jewelry. Hope to find some interesting Alaska souvenirs though.

I do occasionally pick up something from Del Sol. Do you know if the Alaska stores have more Alaska themed shirts- maybe whales or bears? Any idea if all the Alaska Del Sol's carry the same items or do they have name of the city on them? Pretty sure they are in several ports.

Thanks,

T

We did an Inside Passage cruise last summer on the Golden Princess and it was awesome. I did seem very weird and out of place to see Diamond International and other jewelry stores lining the streets in Juneau and other ports. I expect this and it's no biggie in the Caribbean but again, they just seemed out of place on an Alaskan cruise. Like another poster said, we made sure to only buy "made in Alaska" items and came home with a lot of things we have set out throughout of home today.

If you want something made in Alaska, look for the "Made in Alaska" logo. If you want something made by an Alaska Native, look for the "Silver Hand" logo. A Google image search will show you what they look like.

But expect to pay more for something authentic.

so if i come to your unmentioned home town to make a major purchase i have no fear of being gouged, porked, scammed, ripped off, hosed, or over charged without doing any prior research?

I completely agree with your post. I quoted it because I think it is worth repeating :)

What I know about shopping anywhere is to do some research. So simple.

If you want something made in Alaska, look for the "Made in Alaska" logo. If you want something made by an Alaska Native, look for the "Silver Hand" logo. A Google image search will show you what they look like.

But expect to pay more for something authentic.

The above advice is THE WAY to shop in Alaska. If you don't have the made in Alaska logo - you are probably buying something made in Colorado or China. Buyer beware.