Western Mediterranean cruise - What to do at each city?

Hi All,

Me and the misses got married on Monday and will be spending our honeymoon this week on the Harmony of the Seas. I see we are in Barcelona, Palma De Mallorca, Marseille, Florence, Rome and Naples etc etc. We are only going for 7 days. We would like to visit each city but the excursions offer by Royal Caribbean seem really expensive. So we would like to explore the city ourselves. Can you Give me any hints and pointers in what to see in each city and how to get to places. It would be really appreciated.

Also, as its our first cruise and we have very little experience for this sort of thing. CAn anyone offer any advice on what to do on board, things ot look out for, what we should and shouldn't do.

Thanks in advance for everyones help.

Joe

You should visit the Ports of Call Board. In Palma, you can go to the beach. They offer shuttles to the beach. Barcelona is beautiful. You can take the hop on hop off bus around https://www.barcelonabusturistic.cat/en/home. In Rome and Florence take either a ship's excursion or share private tour. Some people will tell you to take a bus and a train but is your honeymoon. Why you should you stress about making it back to the ship? I recommend Rome Cabs. They are great and will get you back to the ship in plenty of time. http://www.romecabs.com/tours/tour-sharing-3/ http://www.romecabs.com/tours/tour-sharing-3/

Edited by Crazy planning mom

For Naples highly recommend going to Island of Capri - beautiful views and scenery. One thing to keep in mind for Rome and Florence the port is a fair distance away from the actual city (I think about an hour away by direct train to Rome and I can't remember what it was for Florence). Florence is one of my favourite cities to visit - lots of architecture, sculptures etc..

European cruises are port intensive and get to be very tiring so you may want to pace yourself a little.

For private tour recommendations check out the Ports of Call forums (as well as your roll call) - there will be lots of suggestions there.

Enjoy!!

Have a great honeymoon.

All of the cities/islands you visit are easily navigable on your own through public transport or private taxi

The Spanish taxis are metered so you know where you are. Its a little different in Italy so be careful......very careful and negotiate in advance!

Mallorca is my favourite location out of all of them.....Barcelona second. The old towns are right next to the ports. Lots to see and do.

In Palma I like to take the little train to Solar. A great trip. Cheap and lovely day out. Highly recommended but be off the ship early to make sure you have enough time.

See the food market in Barcelona on the Ramblas......and stop at parc gruell on a bus tour......

Just a few of my favourite things........