US Visa required for Canadian cruises?

Riemercruisin

I'm asking this question for friends of mine who do not have a US Visa.

They want to take a Celebrity cruise (to Alaska) starting and ending in Vancouver, Canada.

Can they book this cruise without having US visas?

Edited by Riemercruisin

They want to take a Celebrity cruise (to Alaska) starting and ending in Vancouver, Canada.

Assuming they need US Visas at all then, yes, they would have to get them so they can visit the ports along the way, most of which are in the US.

Wouldn't it depend upon which country your friends are from and whether US visas are required for those countries? You didn't mention their nationality. If they need to have a visa, they can book prior to having the visa but better have it at boarding.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Last time I´ve been there Alaska was still a state of the US ;)! Therefore of course they do need a US visa.

When you board a cruise to Alaska in Vancouver you have to pass US Immigration right after check in at port (although you´re in Canada).

steamboats

No need to ask, either you or they can visit X's website for the most up to date and accurate information for the country from which they are residents.

OR they can call their local Department of State or agency which issues passports to find out directly and accurately the requirements for travel to each country they will visit. It could be that they have restrictions on travel abroad even.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

They are from the Bahamas and are not applying for a US Visa.

Canada (Vancouver) is a non-US country. To embark in Vancouver for an Alaskan itinerary requires entry through US CBP in Vancouver. Bahamian citizens need a visa for this.

They may even need additional ID (in addition to a passport) to enter Canada.

As I understand... Yup they'd also need a VISA to travel to or through Canada BUT not until Sept 2016

Note: Until September 29, 2016, travellers who do not have an eTA can board their flight, as long as they have appropriate travel documents, such as a valid passport. During this leniency period, border services officers can let travellers arriving without an eTA into the country, as long as they meet the other requirements to enter Canada. Find answers to your questions about the leniency period.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

Last time I´ve been there Alaska was still a state of the US ;)! Therefore of course they do need a US visa.

When you board a cruise to Alaska in Vancouver you have to pass US Immigration right after check in at port (although you´re in Canada).

steamboats

When cruising out of Vancouver you 1st go through Canadian customs, then United States customs, then Celebrity check in.

Also, be aware that Canada is very strict regarding prior convictions. I've heard of people not being allowed to visit Canada because they had a prior DUI. I'm not sure which convictions are part of the exclusions list, so check it out to make sure beforehand if they have any prior record.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

When cruising out of Vancouver you 1st go through Canadian customs, then United States customs, then Celebrity check in.

Back in 2009 we first checked in with RCI and then went through US Immigration (back then we still had to fill in the green I-94 form). Anyway US Immigration is right at the cruise port in Vancouver and they need a Visa for traveling from Canada to Alaska.

steamboats