TA or MSC

mafig

Do you book your cruises directly with MSC or do you have a TA do it?

I've always used a TA and taken advantage of the extra OBC they offer.

I have a couple of emails out and haven't received any replies (well, I know it's Sunday, but I am impatient).

Then I occurred to me, perhaps TAs don't like to book MSC for whatever reasons. I remember years ago that was true with NCL.

So for your MSC cruises, do you/have you used a TA ... or not?

Do you book your cruises directly with MSC or do you have a TA do it?

I've always used a TA and taken advantage of the extra OBC they offer.

I have a couple of emails out and haven't received any replies (well, I know it's Sunday, but I am impatient).

Then I occurred to me, perhaps TAs don't like to book MSC for whatever reasons. I remember years ago that was true with NCL.

So for your MSC cruises, do you/have you used a TA ... or not?

We use a TA,,,who's cruise line of choice is MSC. We love the fact that he makes himself available to us through social media practically 24hrs a day,,,:D

Aside from availability (which is important), does this TA offer anything above/beyond booking with MSC? (was that a hint?):D

We usually receive whatever OBC or extras MSC is offering at the time. We're part of a MSC Seaside group booking for April 2018 and ended up receiving an extra $25.00 OBC on top of the $400.00 per stateroom MSC was offering,,:D

So are you saying TAs are allowed to discount MSC?

MSC Cruises has instituted new rebating and cancellation policies that take effect May 1.

No travel agencies can advertise, market or sell a cruise or cruise package at a price below MSC's published or contracted pricing.

Agencies may continue to offer value-adds such as onboard spending credits and prepaid gratuities. The value-add cannot be cash, a gift card or other items that reduce the base price of a cruise.

Agencies that violate MSC's rebating policies will be "subject to written warning, a reduction in the co-op support provided by MSC Cruises and other actions such as, but not limited to, a reduction in the base commission paid on all future cruises booked by that agency," MSC said.

For all new bookings made beginning May 1 for all sailings departing in April 2017 and forward, MSC has adjusted its cancellation policy.

For cruises less than 15 nights, guests lose their nonrefundable deposit if they cancel between 89 and 61 days before departure; lose half the fare if they cancel 60 to 46 days out; lose 75% of the fare if they cancel 45 to 16 days out; and lose 100% of the fare if they cancel with 15 days or fewer before departure.

For cruises more than 15 nights, they lose their nonrefundable deposit if they cancel between 109 and 61 days before departure, half the fare for 60 to 46 days, 75% of the fare from 45 to 31 days, and 100% if they cancel 30 days out or fewer.

Also, MSC Cruises said it will continue transfer a direct booking to a travel agent upon request of the customer when the appropriate forms are submitted by the customer to MSC Cruises. Bookings may only be transferred to an agent up until 60 days from creation if the request is made outside of final payment period and the booking is not paid in full.

I use a TA so when the booking is screwed up by MSC he can deal with them. Right now we are both dealing with MSC because we are getting conflicting info and now it's a mess. I'm pretty much done and he's dealt with the hold times and problems.

TAs are not allowed to rebate, or reduce cruise fares.

I am a huge supporter of local small business, therefore I will always use a TA for ALL of my travel bookings. Cruises or otherwise.

I also don't accept the OBC, unless it is from the cruise line as part of my booking - because I know otherwise the OBC is coming from the TA's hard earned paycheck, and I don't believe in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For the 2 cruises I've booked On MSC, I've used the website to see what I want, then call to make the reservation, and find out what cabins are available, since MSC doesn't list a whole lot of them. In two cruises so far, one complete, and one future, I haven't had any problems at all with them. I've spoken to 2 of their cruise agents, Jamie, and Kevin. Both are very knowledgeable, and accommodating.

I am a huge supporter of local small business, therefore I will always use a TA for ALL of my travel bookings. Cruises or otherwise.

I also don't accept the OBC, unless it is from the cruise line as part of my booking - because I know otherwise the OBC is coming from the TA's hard earned paycheck, and I don't believe in it.

I believe the every little helps so I do accept what they offer. The TA has decided to offer it as a means of attracting your attention so why not take it. They seem happy to offer it in the first instance.

I suppose we also have to consider other things, I am not lucky enough to live within driving distance from the cruise port and therefore cannot avail of last minutes much more readily than most. I would love to avail of last minute cruise offers but unfortunately last minute air fares no longer make the complete package a bargain.

In short if I had the same opportunity to avail of cheap cruises that those that live near the port have I might be more than willing to leave the OBC enticement with them too. I have no guilty conscience accepting OBC as I don't get last minute fares, therefore pay higher fares and thus my TA gets higher commission. In fact my TA may be better off selling a cruise at a 'regular' fare and forfeiting USD25 OBC than pocketing 100% of the commission from a last minute fare.

Edited by tomvet

MSC Cruises has instituted new rebating and cancellation policies that take effect May 1.

No travel agencies can advertise, market or sell a cruise or cruise package at a price below MSC's published or contracted pricing.

Agencies may continue to offer value-adds such as onboard spending credits and prepaid gratuities. The value-add cannot be cash, a gift card or other items that reduce the base price of a cruise.

Agencies that violate MSC's rebating policies will be "subject to written warning, a reduction in the co-op support provided by MSC Cruises and other actions such as, but not limited to, a reduction in the base commission paid on all future cruises booked by that agency," MSC said.

Fortunately this policy is illegal in Australia.

It is called Price Fixing and against Australian Consumer Law.

I think the key above is "contracted price". That pretty much leaves the door wide open. It is quite likely some of the "big box" travel agents get more incentives than others- which is how they can offer such generous OBC.

One of the largest "big box" agencies just replied to my email request stating they do not book MSC.:(

The TA I've used most often in the past has sent me a quote that's less than MSC's website. No OBC. She stated it was her price based on "her discount."

She's never booked MSC before, so if I would go with her, it would probably be a learning experience for both of us.

One of the largest "big box" agencies just replied to my email request stating they do not book MSC.:(

The TA I've used most often in the past has sent me a quote that's less than MSC's website. No OBC. She stated it was her price based on "her discount."

She's never booked MSC before, so if I would go with her, it would probably be a learning experience for both of us.

Oh, boy. If she has never booked MSC before, I would anticipate she is possibly making a mistake and quoting your price before port charges. Or not including her commission. Or something. Because it is supposed to be apples to apples. She is not allowed to give "her discount" and she can lose her ability to book MSC by doing that.

Doesn't surprise me in the least. Several big box agencies refuse to sell MSc in the U.S. for a variety of reasons including the whacked out web page and extremely long hold times.

The agent I booked with in February for a March departure quit selling MsC and I had to go with another discounting agent for my trip next week. TONS of agencies have "contracted " prices offering cheaper than booking MSC direct. Volume generates better contracts- nothing is apples to apples in the travel business.

Oh, boy. If she has never booked MSC before, I would anticipate she is possibly making a mistake and quoting your price before port charges. Or not including her commission. Or something. Because it is supposed to be apples to apples. She is not allowed to give "her discount" and she can lose her ability to book MSC by doing that.

Well, I did email her making sure her quote included port charges, taxes and "everything" and she said it did.

Well, I did email her making sure her quote included port charges, taxes and "everything" and she said it did.

I wouldn't think twice- it is extremely common for agents to offer different prices. It is highly likely a legitimate quote. Like I said, there is no apples to apples in the travel industry. Book and enjoy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course they can discount ! That is why MSC is putting out a new policy.

Not all agencies can/will discount.

We have been using the same internet agency for our last 3 MSC cruises (1 per year)

and the prices are 10 -15 % lower. Since we book in the yacht club it adds up.

We NEVER book through any cruise line and have never had any trouble with internet agencies. Price is ALWAYS better & we get things like prepaid gratuities,OBC, etc.

We cruise 3 times a year on various lines.

I sent an email to my "second choice" TA and received a reply of

"due to prior unsatisfactory customer service we no longer book with MSC.":eek:

WOW!

Anyway, I went on the comparison website and have been so pleased with the prices I've received. Hundreds off the published price. Just trying to decide who to go with (OBC vs. low price). No cancellation fees from the agencies either.:)

I've used the same local TA for years and have never received a bad deal. She knows the "ins" of MSC headquarters and as well my own desires regarding cabin location, dining, etc. TA's, at least in Italy, receive an 11 percent commission from MSC, so any extra treatment she gives me is always appreciated.

LOL,

I'm in Florida.

I remember when some TAs wouldn't book NCL. They said it was because they had too many customer complaints. Others said it was because they paid less commission.

LOL,

I'm in Florida.

I remember when some TAs wouldn't book NCL. They said it was because they had too many customer complaints. Others said it was because they paid less commission.

I can only speak to what I have experienced. I have personally spoken with 3 different agencies all refusing to sell MSC. The reasons given were web site problems, long hold times trying to correct bookings, and difficulty resolving issues. Ironically none mentioned the compromised passport identity issues which would be a serious concern to me if I was an agent selling MSC.

I imagine since MSc is so inexpensive, the lower commission on bookings can't help. The agent who booked my first Msc cruise in March of this year spent several hours on the phone trying to work out issues with my booking. The agents who discount and offer OBC just aren't making that kind of profit to make the time worthwhile.

I did very much enjoy the divina- but MSC still has issues to resolve if they plan on being a major U.S. Player. 5 ships sailing from the U.S. within 5 years was rumored somewhere on these boards. I think how the seaside rolls out will be telling. That ship is so beautiful lots of people are going to be clamoring to book- I hope MSC gets their shore side experience on point before seaside arrives.

For what it's worth, The on board experience is infinitely better then the booking experience.

I've used the same local TA for years and have never received a bad deal. She knows the "ins" of MSC headquarters and as well my own desires regarding cabin location, dining, etc. TA's, at least in Italy, receive an 11 percent commission from MSC, so any extra treatment she gives me is always appreciated.

In the US, I suspect it's a totally different story!