Ladies dress code

rsail203

We just booked a 12 night Caribbean cruise on the QM2. Our TA told my wife about the 4 formal and 8 informal night dress code and she's somewhat freaked out about different long gowns, etc. Can some veteran Cunard cruisers give her the benefit of your experiences on a longer cruise (both formal and informal)? Thanks in advance.

Rich

We just booked a 12 night Caribbean cruise on the QM2. Our TA told my wife about the 4 formal and 8 informal night dress code and she's somewhat freaked out about different long gowns, etc. Can some veteran Cunard cruisers give her the benefit of your experiences on a longer cruise (both formal and informal)? Thanks in advance.

Rich

Long or short cruise the dress code is still the same. Formal is formal and casual is casual. That being said, it is doubtful many will be in attire reminisant of Versailles in the glory days before the revolution. A properly attired lady can wear long to the floor dresses without they being gowns in the strict sense of gowns and be right in the mix. Do not even need more than one long dress if one wears black and brings a bunch of colorful scarfs to change the "look"

Now for yourself please do bring the tux or at least since it is the tropics your white dinner jacket and tux pants and proper shoes.

Long cruise or short cruise, Cunard passengers dress for dinner.

If you have a tux, definitely bring it for formal nights. If you don't, a dark suit will do, but you will be in the minority. DH wears a tux for formal and a dark suit for other nights.

For formal nights, most women wear long dresses/gowns or a long skirt and fancy top. (We're not talking glitter on spandex--the "sparkly top"--but the sort of tops that are sold in the formal wear department.) She does not have to have a different dress for every night. Cocktail dresses are OK, too. if she has a good LBD, she can change up jewelry and shawls and get several casual/informal evenings out of it. She won't be the only woman doing that.

Your wife does not need a ball gown--that's a gown with a full skirt (think Cinderella). I have seen a few ball gowns on Cunard, and I cannot imagine how the owner packed them! They looked like they'd need their own suitcases.

On the subject of luggage, I see you're from somewhere in NY, so I'm guessing you'll drive to the cruise? So if you don't have to deal with airlines, she can go crazy with dresses and shoes, etc, etc!! (But she doesn't have to)

I usually take separates to optimize the number of outfits available without packing the entire closet. As mentioned, she does not have to have a long dress (or long skirt and top) for every formal night and it is perfectly acceptable to wear the same outfit more than once.

Rich

We have done this particular sailing a number of times, as others have people tend to dress for dinner. My husband always brings his tux and I will we are long dresses (gown but not a ball gown) for formal nights and a cocktail dress the other nights. I have seen many women in cocktail dresses on formal nights as well.

I see that you live in Islip and likely be driving to the port so a luggage allowance won't be a problem. It is a fantastic trip, enjoy!

Edited by CateW

We just booked this cruise too. I assume it is the same one leaving on November 26. My husband will bring his tux for formal nights and a sports jacket for other nights. I will bring one long dress and one long black skirt with different tops. We live near Toronto and are considering driving to the port too and spending a couple of days in the city prior to the cruise. Will have to check out parking facilities at the port.

We just booked this cruise too. I assume it is the same one leaving on November 26. My husband will bring his tux for formal nights and a sports jacket for other nights. I will bring one long dress and one long black skirt with different tops. We live near Toronto and are considering driving to the port too and spending a couple of days in the city prior to the cruise. Will have to check out parking facilities at the port.

Looks like we're on the same voyage, round trip New York November 26. Our packing includes pretty much the same - a tux, a suit and a jacket for my husband; a gown or two, evening slacks and a long skirt with some tops for me. It is easier when we don't have to fly! BYW there is a roll call with an incipient Meet and Mingle list, if you are interested. It was started by someone doing the transatlantic, our segment and another transatlantic. Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2211404

See you on board.

Diane

Rich

The advice you've received is what we have experienced. The ship is geared to sophistication, but it is not snobby or stuffy.

BTW there is a roll call with an early Meet and Mingle list, if you'd like to join. It was started by someone doing our segment (we are aboard on November 26 round trip NY) plus a transatlantic on each end. Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2211404

Diane

Rich

You should be warned that formal nights on Cunard can be very addictive. Prior to our first TA in 2012, my wife had never even owned a long evening gown. She bought one gown for that first crossing. By the time of our next cruise, she had acquired 3 more gowns. On our WC segments earlier this year, she had replaced the original and added 2 more new ones. The good thing is that the gowns take up very little room in the suitcase when packing. As for myself, I still wear the same tuxedo that i've had, but have added some different vests and bow ties. The reaseon for the vests is that you can take off your tux jacket and still maintain a reasonably formal appearance while you dance the night away in the Queens Room.

Bob