Appropriate Dress for MDR

I wear jeans almost every evening on a cruise.

Agreed. Maybe its because I cant actually feel my legs :rolleyes: but I wear jeans year around and wear them on cruises about every night except formal nights. I took three pairs last month. I really dont get the "jeans are too hot" comments at all. Its no hotter in the Caribbean than it is right now in North Ga yet come Friday, i will have my jeans on this week. I guess jeans to me are no hotter than a pair of dark dress pants I would wear.

One pair of my jeans are even lighter than Docker type pants. The rest dont weigh much more.

Edited by ryano

Not complicated. I wonder why they bother to list a dress code. Either have a dress code - or don't. Signage at the entrance of the dining room as well as a post in the Compass states no short/hats in the MDR at dinner, yet it is rarely if ever enforced. Until recently, Celebrity had a requirement of a jacket in the dining room, for formal night. No jacket, no entrance. If the passenger had no jacket, they gave him one to wear. The point is, the code was enforced.

Folks are SO casual now, gym shorts and t shirts for dinner.. perhaps the "dress code" keeps it from getting worse.

M

Yes, if the cruise lines changed or eliminated the dress code there would be nothing to enforce. However, if you have one you should be enforcing it. Its just like everything else on the ship where they put a "rule" out there and then don't bother to correct people when they don't follow it such as saving seats, chair hogs, etc. As long as they won't enforce their rules people will continue to ignore them.

People...it really isn't that hard to understand.

They (and other lines) will put suggestions/recommendations/rules on their web site in hopes that passengers will follow them. However, they are not going to risk hissing off a customer than can go on social media and instantly give them a great deal of bad press when it doesn't impact their bottom line. Especially when they are generating bad press themselves and people are complaining/commenting on degradation of service onboard.

Face it, the ships are still sailing full with people saving seats and wearing shorts in the MDR at dinner. If it gets to the point, and it never will, that they are no longer sailing full and it can be attributed to the dress of their passengers at dinner they will then...and only then...make a stand.

Now, bringing bottled water and smuggling booze onto the ship impacts their bottom line so you will see those rules enforced more than others...and they don't even enforce those uniformly.

Everything I have read is that the main part of the dress code is a suggestion. The part at the bottom saying no flip flops, swim wear, or tank tops is a rule, and I would suspect enforced. For the suggestions, it is just that - a suggestion, not a rule, so nothing to enforce.

I don't personally care what others are wearing, I may comment to my wife about certain things, but it does not ruin my cruise if somebody else wants to feel comfortable.

I know that growing up, if we went to say Red Lobster (which is not really a high end establishment), pretty much everybody that went had their "Sunday Best" clothes on and would not think about going in casual attire. Nowadays, you still see some people dress up (mainly older people) but for the most part most go in much more casual than in years past. I liken the MDR to approximately the quality of Red Lobster (and other chains), so it does not seem like a stretch that they no longer require jackets in the MDR imo.

I don't get why this is so complicated for people. They don't want to be enforcers. I'm sure they'd like for people to follow the guidelines, but there will always be those who refuse to do so.

People...it really isn't that hard to understand.

They (and other lines) will put suggestions/recommendations/rules on their web site in hopes that passengers will follow them. However, they are not going to risk hissing off a customer than can go on social media and instantly give them a great deal of bad press when it doesn't impact their bottom line. Especially when they are generating bad press themselves and people are complaining/commenting on degradation of service onboard.

Face it, the ships are still sailing full with people saving seats and wearing shorts in the MDR at dinner. If it gets to the point, and it never will, that they are no longer sailing full and it can be attributed to the dress of their passengers at dinner they will then...and only then...make a stand.

Now, bringing bottled water and smuggling booze onto the ship impacts their bottom line so you will see those rules enforced more than others...and they don't even enforce those uniformly.

Agree, same thing I said several posts back, but TC1957 you wrapped it all up nicely and then put a bow on it. I would add, not just hissing off one customer but creating a scene that might off-put other passengers who witness it. I really don't think they want to risk that unless it's really necessary. As long as they keep filling up the ships, it's not gonna be "necessary" at all in their eyes.

I would also note that poster "Royal Caribbean International" listed "pants" for men -- not "long" pants specifically, and I didn't see "no jeans" anywhere in there.

Edited by Moonarino

I would also note that poster "Royal Caribbean International" listed "pants" for men -- not "long" pants specifically...

Hmm... I think you are grasping a little about the "pants" possibly meaning shorts. ;) Pants does not mean shorts. Shorts means shorts. :)

Edited by Langley Cruisers