2nd Class Citizen?

jjohnboy32

Hello all..

With fear of retribution for the following comments but I feel like a 2nd class citizen. Let me explain.

I have cruised many times with P&O albeit weekend cruises and with RCI and NCL as a couple in a balcony cabin - all very nice and dandy.

This year we are doing the Fjords and taking my children with us (I say children, they are aged 17 & 20) and because of 4 of us going it's costing a lot more than usual. We usually fly somewhere for summer holidays but feel a cruise is safer at the moment.

Anyway, because of the cost we have booked the Saver option with inside cabins for all of us. Here's my beef - We leave in under 3 weeks time and we have still not been allocated a cabin nor a check in time. We have had to book car parking and give a time of arrival etc.

Every day I check the Personaliser to see if allocated yet and still nothing.

It's doing my head in - Hehehe.

Oh and don't get me started on the £5.50 charge pppd and whether we remove or not...... (I wont be removing it don't worry).

I know that 'you book cheap you get cheap' but come on P&O tell me where in steerage my hard box to sleep on will be!!

Rant over :-):)

Hello all..

With fear of retribution for the following comments but I feel like a 2nd class citizen. Let me explain.

I have cruised many times with P&O albeit weekend cruises and with RCI and NCL as a couple in a balcony cabin - all very nice and dandy.

This year we are doing the Fjords and taking my children with us (I say children, they are aged 17 & 20) and because of 4 of us going it's costing a lot more than usual. We usually fly somewhere for summer holidays but feel a cruise is safer at the moment.

Anyway, because of the cost we have booked the Saver option with inside cabins for all of us. Here's my beef - We leave in under 3 weeks time and we have still not been allocated a cabin nor a check in time. We have had to book car parking and give a time of arrival etc.

Oh and don't get me started on the £5.50 charge pppd and whether we remove or not...... (I wont be removing it don't worry).

I know that 'you book cheap you get cheap' but come on P&O tell me where in steerage my hard box to sleep on will be!!

There is nothing stoping you booking parking or meet/greet, as one has the ability to "change" the arrival time post confirmation. Parking companies are aware of the phased check-in times, and are happy to work with one.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

Don't worry at all about it jjohnboy - saver fares and guarantee cabins even if booked under the Select booking many months before are not allocated until about 2-3 weeks beforehand.

There will be no problem, you will get your cabin and hopefully will be in a grade higher than what you have paid so should be very happy with the result.

Go ahead and book everything - you will be on the ship never fear.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Scriv

You will have a cabin what's the problem? does it really matter whether you know where it is at this precise time? As long as you can find it when you board you should be a happy bunny.

A weeks cruise to the fjords is a very special experience. Just make sure you are up early to experience the stunning scenery.

You will have a cabin what's the problem? does it really matter whether you know where it is at this precise time? As long as you can find it when you board you should be a happy bunny.

A weeks cruise to the fjords is a very special experience. Just make sure you are up early to experience the stunning scenery.

I don't have a problem - I'm just impatient I suppose and I wanted a little winge. Hahahahaha

:D

We have just returned from the fjords cruise and it was spectacular. It will be an avantage for you having an inside though as it is daylight until about midnight and then sunrise about 4 am, so you can sleep undisturbed.

Just make sure you get up on deck when the Captain points out viewing highlights as it is one of the best places to be for those wonderful piccies and panoramic views.

It won't be long now for your cabin allocation :)

Edited by Scriv

We have just returned from the fjords cruise and it was spectacular. It will be an avantage for you having an inside though as it is daylight until about midnight and then sunrise about 4 am, so you can sleep undisturbed.

Just make sure you get up on deck when the Captain points out viewing highlights as it is one of the best places to be for those wonderful piccies and panoramic views.

It won't be long now for your cabin allocation :)

Fab - when does the captain do this? I was thinking I should be out on deck early for the sail into Flam.

We booked the saver fare and we now have a cabin - I was checking my personaliser everyday!!!! I didn't care where our cabin was as long as we were onboard - we sail next Friday 24th - just can't wait.

We have the train booked in Flam - and I think the other ports we intend to just have a nosey round the beautiful looking towns - unless you know better....................................................

thanks

H

Hello all..

John,

You seem to take a negative viewpoint at every opportunity. This generally leads to despondency followed by disappointment without any need for this.

You mention "cabins" and I should be thinking; we are not sailing four up, the children have got their own cabin. Privacy and a more relaxing cruise.

I should be thinking; no cabin numbers yet - are they going to upgrade one of the cabins to oceanview across the corridor? Could they even put us in a Balcony away from the children, ooh.

I should just aim for 2.30pm for parking turn up and get in the queue, unless an earlier boarding pass gets emailed to me. Then I am never going to be far out either way. It would be so exciting for me!

Regards John

Helen - the Captain usually announces it the day or the night before so we don't miss them.

We went up to the glacier from Olden, on the train at Flam and just mosied round Bergen where we also went up the funicular railway but walked down. Not everybody's choice walking down, lol, but that's us.

Walked round Stavanger and had a coffee and a waffle at the little cafe/museum workers cottage right next to the sardine canning museum - in the old town usually right next to where the ship is berthed.

JJohnboy - so your cabin should be allocated very very soon now. You will be in good company waiting for your cabin as even the top balconies under a guarantee booking are not allocated until nearer the time. ;)

Edited by Scriv

JJohnboy - so your cabin should be allocated very very soon now. You will be in good company waiting for your cabin as even the top balconies under a guarantee booking are not allocated until nearer the time. ;)

Thanks hun. :)

It's a wonderful cruise, just be up on top deck for sailing in to ports , it is really beautiful. Take your camera :) make sure it's charged!!!

Even sitting in the buffet eating breakfast and watching the scenery go by is lovely :)

Oh how exciting, not long until our Fjords cruise :) Happy dancing here :)

Don't worry about anything else, it will all come together very soon, enjoy your cruise :)

I should just aim for 2.30pm for parking turn up and get in the queue

I would aim for 3.30 to 4pm, and if something earlier turns up (and you get there earlier) great, and if it doesn't you won't be disappointed.

And if you do get allocated something earlier and turn up later, are they going to tell you to go away.

In other words just treat the cruise as a flight and aim to get there just before the gate closes.

I know its irritating when you want to know where your cabin is, however your not really being treated as a second class citizen. Remember P&O need to keep as many cabins available for the Select passengers who get to choose their cabin number. Then the Savers are slotted in to the empty cabins. So even if you booked a Saver fare when the cruise was released, you wont get your cabin number until 2/3 weeks before sailing.

Hi all

So the day after my panic our cabins have been allocated. Next question is what do the letters mean?

We booked a PC grade but been allocated a PB grade - Is that better and if so how is it better or worse?

They go from PA to PF

Whats the difference? In laymans terms please

:confused:

Edited by jjohnboy32

Hi all

So the day after my panic our cabins have been allocated. Next question is what do the letters mean?

We booked a PC grade but been allocated a PB grade - Is that better and if so how is it better or worse?

They go from PA to PF

Whats the difference? In laymans terms please

:confused:

I am really not much help - I have looked at the brochure and looking at that the letters they seem to to go PA, PB,PC,etc - We only booked an inside and didn't book any grade as such. We have been allocated A258 - which seems to be a PC - but hadn't booked any grade. I am sure last time we did this we ended up in A212(ish) which is a PB and it was HUGE.

We are not bothered as long as we are on the cruise - there is a lot of port days so you won't spend much time in your cabin - "its a bed" is our philosophy. I love the fact that at the rear of deck A (and all decks) you can get outside to the back of the ship. So on a morning I just grab my camera and go and see whats outside.

I am sure you will enjoy it

Looking at the deck plans you do seem to have a better location, you've missed the dreaded Riviera deck which can be noisy from the pool area above, and you will have cabins above and below you whichever of the PB decks you are on.

Hello all..

If it was a late saver you book you can only book a type-inside/outside/balcony. The cheapest cabins are always fore or aft (front or back) with the more expensive ones being midships.

I think the saver fare is charged at the lowest price for that type. ie inside fore or aft.

If Pando then moves you to a higher deck and or more midships then they consider it an upgrade although it isn't really as you would still be in the same type as paid for.

I would guess it was a late saver you booked as you did not mention grade until your cabin had been allocated. I would not worry about the actual grade (the letters) just look at that cabins position.

Sorry yes should've said - It was booked as a late saver on grade PC (slightly higher priced inside cabin) allocated A339 and A440 for my kids!! Not next door but behind each other although they are aged 17 & 20 so it won't be a problem.

Looks like the cabin in more midship which is good.

Thanks all

Edited by jjohnboy32

Glad you are sorted, jjohnboy. Do you know, I nearly said yesterday that you might hear today as all my guaranteed cabins seem to have been allocated on a Tuesday!!! But then I thought it a bit risky in case you didn't hear and then would be disappointed...

Yes, you are in the next grade up and better position, so should be good and near enough to your family ( but with a bit of space too lol).

Now all that remains is to have a brilliant time and enjoy those wonderful fjords.