Tipping on Celbrity shore Excursions?

sarmeier

The cost of the lunch, train, admissions does not matter. The tour price is the tour price, do not tip at lunch, do not tip the train and do not tip anyone at admissions. If I can afford $1,300 for a tour I can afford a $195.00 tip.

All well and good but a number of times my TA has organised my holidays from start to finish and I just paid them a total sum. So when it comes to individual tours on that holiday I have no idea how much the tour cost so dont know how much to tip. No point in telling me a percentage or anything else. And asking for guidance from staff or fellow guests produces the most meaningless unhelpful dribble. I can afford the trip, I just dont get why there has to be some silly hidden costs that no one is prepared to be honest about.

We will be in Russia for 3 days. On a private tour. The cost is $650 each which includes a train to Moscow from St. Petersburg. The tour company suggests 10% to the guide, 5% for drivers. We will have different guides and drivers in Moscow. How do we tip and how much?

We tip a guide if our tour day was above or more than expected. Or the guide did something more personalized. It is not an automatic. While most guides have been very experienced and added to our day, there have been a couple over the years who were lacking personality and effort to be considered a plus.

We don't think in terms of percentages when we choose to offer a gratuity. In your case you should look at each guide individually. Some might seem more deserving than others. Your choice.

What we can "afford" to tip someone doesn't rule what we DO tip. Our choice.

Edited by eandj

The cost of the lunch, train, admissions does not matter. The tour price is the tour price, do not tip at lunch, do not tip the train and do not tip anyone at admissions. If I can afford $1,300 for a tour I can afford a $195.00 tip.

Maybe you can but not everyone has to see things your way. For a 3 day tour I would not be comfortable tipping that much.

Is tipping for shore excursions included in the normal on board auto tipping or are we expected to tip separately?

It's separate from the cruise line. Tip based on your expectations & were they met or exceeded.

Useful to know which excursions you're on, as I'll stand in front of you getting off the coach at tip time and tell the guide my friend behind me is getting the tip :D

We have also booked the three day St Petes and Moscow tour at $650 per person.

Our information from Alla Tours seems to suggest tipping the guide and driver on the second day in Moscow 5% and 2% respectively as they are employed solely on the Moscow leg of the tour and are based in Moscow. I will instead probably tip as I would for the equivalent 1 day St Petes tour which is priced around $160 per person with 10 and 5 % to the guide and driver. I would reason therefore it is in order to tip the the St Petersburg guide and driver 10% and 5 % of the cost of the equivalent 2 day Grand tour which is priced at $285 per person. This, of course, assumes good service and seems reasonable and not as excessive as it would be to factor in the additonal cost of the train fare.

Edited by alfaromeo170

We have also booked the three day St Petes and Moscow tour at $650 per person.

Our information from Alla Tours seems to suggest tipping the guide and driver on the second day in Moscow 5% and 2% respectively as they are employed solely on the Moscow leg of the tour and are based in Moscow. I will instead probably tip as I would for the equivalent 1 day St Petes tour which is priced around $160 per person with 10 and 5 % to the guide and driver. I would reason therefore it is in order to tip the the St Petersburg guide and driver 10% and 5 % of the cost of the equivalent 2 day Grand tour which is priced at $285 per person. This, of course, assumes good service and seems reasonable and not as excessive as it would be to factor in the additonal cost of the train fare.

Wow, just wow. Why cant the price be the price? Why does there have to be all these machinations over what in the end amounts to subjective bs?

Wow, just wow. Why cant the price be the price? Why does there have to be all these machinations over what in the end amounts to subjective bs?

It would of course be easier if the price was just the price, I'm Scottish, I get you. I was merely outlining my own rationale for tipping on a two location tour with two guides and two drivers. Someone had asked earlier in the thread about that particular issue. Just trying to help out

Edited by alfaromeo170

Celebrity shore excursions around the world are undertaken by people from many different countries and cultures with varying tipping customs. If tipping is expected then I would expect Celebrity to inform their customers of this to ensure there is no confusion.

I have never seen Celebrity make any suggestions about tipping on any of their shore excursions. I can only assume from this that it is not expected or required. Hopefully Celebrity use some of the money they make from their inflated excursion prices to ensure that guides and drivers are properly compensated.

X sends out their Team they do go on the tours, YES THEY DO. and do not be afraid to Ask them anything, we did, and. this all gts back to the Corp, the list is not short it's pretty long the person will take down your request and pass it along.

If you feel you have a tipping question ASK IT at the Shore excursion Line and not to the Agent, to the Manager.

Signs are posted, in Regular hand writing if present. it is you on vacation tip or not no one will know how much to tip. even if it is a wooden nickel. that can be A REAL EXPENSIVE TIP

This is listed as one of the cruise critic articles:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=132

Shore Excursions

Tour operators in port are usually independent of the cruise line. For a half-day shore excursion, give the guide $2, or $4 to $5 for a full-day excursion -- consider giving a bit more if there was especially personalized service. And don't forget the driver -- give drivers $1 for half-day excursions, $2 for full-day ones.

We usually follow this to a tee! Twice, we had excursions where we didn't tip ... they were awful and not what claimed to be. All other excursions have been outstanding and like I said, we follow this tipping advice with the only difference .. we round it up as a couple to save our singles.

For heaven's sake ....... when in Rome, do as the Romans do. Take a litle bit of time to research the local custom and stick with that.

If you're taking a ship's tour you're already paying through the nose for the possibility of the ship (probably) waiting for your late return so it's madness to compound the situation. In Europe a few Euros is all that's required and with a coach full, it adds up to a susbtantial extra sum for a few hours of talking or a quick walk around holding up a sign. It's not exactly comparable to attentive, silver service in a good restaurant now is it?

Last time out (in Oslo) the tour guide was absolutely dreadful, I wouldn't have paid her in washers. But the driver was a saint and ended up with lots of people pressing a generous tip into his palm while she stood by the step with her hand out.

For heaven's sake ....... when in Rome, do as the Romans do. Take a litle bit of time to research the local custom and stick with that.

So simple. I agree. And yet Americans feel that what happens in the U.S. must be the "right" way to do it all over the world. :o These tipping posts are always a hoot to me. Some folks so worry about what others might think of them. There are some on all the cc boards who look down upon( and shamefully) on those that have a different philosophy about tipping them they do. I never get it.

And why do people automatically assume a tip is earned even before packing their bags? :D

So simple. I agree. And yet Americans feel that what happens in the U.S. must be the "right" way to do it all over the world. :o These tipping posts are always a hoot to me. Some folks so worry about what others might think of them. There are some on all the cc boards who look down upon( and shamefully) on those that have a different philosophy about tipping them they do. I never get it.

And why do people automatically assume a tip is earned even before packing their bags? :D

I have lived overseas for 9 years including Germany, where tipping is modest. Also, traveled all over the World. I have found Celebrity cruisers to be well traveled and not Ugly Americans, demanding everything should be done like in the US.

Also, while traveling with Celebrity, which is a US cruise line, there is some expectation of tipping as in the US. This is reinforced with the gratuities that are charged to our bill. Since tour guides and bus drivers are not included in the gratuities, it is logical to tip for good service. However, as most other posters have articulated, a 10% tip is not considered standard. In fact, the standard seems to be around $10.

We are taking a FREE walking tour that will last 3 hours. What percentage of free should we tip? Is the tip included in the free charge? I'm from the US and I don't want to offend anyone by being an over-tipping American.

When we have done the walking tours offered by residents or students in the city, we have found them just excellent. Very personalized and entertaining.

What we did for the couple that we've done that were free in European cities, was pay them close to what a paid large group commercial walking tour was charging. We got so much more from our "little" tour than others that booked thru some agency. It is up to you. Indeed, we noticed a couple left without tipping after a 'free" tour. We just shrugged. Just do what you want. You won't get applause if you are over generous and wont' be chased down the street if you leave nothing.;)

When we have done the walking tours offered by residents or students in the city, we have found them just excellent. Very personalized and entertaining.

What we did for the couple that we've done that were free in European cities, was pay them close to what a paid large group commercial walking tour was charging. We got so much more from our "little" tour than others that booked thru some agency. It is up to you. Indeed, we noticed a couple left without tipping after a 'free" tour. We just shrugged. Just do what you want. You won't get applause if you are over generous and wont' be chased down the street if you leave nothing.;)

I agree and do the same....and I've never gotten the feeling that I "offended" them. Most of them are students and they seemed grateful for the tip.

Also, while traveling with Celebrity, which is a US cruise line, .

Celebrity is NOT a US line, they register all over the world so they do not pay US taxes. They hire very few US citizens. They do serve many US passengers.

Celebrity is NOT a US line, they register all over the world so they do not pay US taxes. They hire very few US citizens. They do serve many US passengers.

I realize Celebrity is incorporated in Malta, but it is American in ownership and philosophy.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is an American global cruise company incorporated in Liberia and based in Miami, Florida.

..............................Also, while traveling with Celebrity, which is a US cruise line, there is some expectation of tipping as in the US. This is reinforced with the gratuities that are charged to our bill. Since tour guides and bus drivers are not included in the gratuities, it is logical to tip for good service. However, as most other posters have articulated, a 10% tip is not considered standard. In fact, the standard seems to be around $10.

Expectation by whom?

The gratuities added to your bill are just a marketing ploy so that those of us outside the US believe the real price is lower and it's a Pavlovian trick on US travellers who even with gratuities on the bill, will still hand over a few extra bills and enjoy a nice warm feeling for a few fleeting seconds.

There's no logic whatsoever in tipping for good service. Good service is what you should expect. Tips should reflect excellent service, unless you happen to be in parts of the world where service staff are chronically underpaid and have to sing for their supper.

As for $10 being the standard, I respectfully suggest that that's your standard in order to acheive the nice warm feeling state. Worldwide, it's no more a standard than giving someone two lollypop sticks and a Des O'Connor CD as a reward.

Expectation by whom?

The gratuities added to your bill are just a marketing ploy so that those of us outside the US believe the real price is lower and it's a Pavlovian trick on US travellers who even with gratuities on the bill, will still hand over a few extra bills and enjoy a nice warm feeling for a few fleeting seconds.

There's no logic whatsoever in tipping for good service. Good service is what you should expect. Tips should reflect excellent service, unless you happen to be in parts of the world where service staff are chronically underpaid and have to sing for their supper.

As for $10 being the standard, I respectfully suggest that that's your standard in order to acheive the nice warm feeling state. Worldwide, it's no more a standard than giving someone two lollypop sticks and a Des O'Connor CD as a reward.

1) The gratuities are not a marketing ploy to lower prices. Once upon a time, some years ago, back in the 20th Century, if you went on a cruise, you tipped, at the end of the cruise in cash, usually placed in an envelope for the staff. This is the way it is still done for River cruises.

2) There is a great deal of logic for tipping for good service. Some countries don't have a strong tipping culture, since any so called service charge is included in the prices on the menu at a restaurant. This is common in Europe, but in the USA, the wait staff is paid a reduced amount since people tip for good service. I have had several members of my family that at one time or another worked waiting on tables and generally had an income two or three times the minimum wage. My stepson worked in a very nice upscale restaurant and (this was 20 years ago) made over $20000 per year. and he worked partime.

3) As for the $10 standard, that was what most people stated here on cc was their amount for a tour guide for a full day tour. It wasn't a stated standard by the cruise line, just what most people seem to give, if they give at all.

I have spent some wonderful times in your country and followed the local custom to only leave the spare coins, however, I remember one restaurant where there was a statement on the menu that service was NOT included in the prices, so I left a tip, not just to feel better, but to compensate the waitress.

Says tip but doesnot say you have to tip how much, and the good part about that is its not a hand written one. you never offend anyone if you don't tip. it is an option not mandatory.

SEE that Young guy to the left, he is From Celebrity's shore excursion Valuating the tour, if you have a question, you ask him. He is not a Tourist, he is working. one each excursion you may not recognize them but they are there that clip board is his checklist.

And my first complaint is. the driver is with a Microphone, not a hands free head set, he taken it down and noted to the company.

Why I take photos and video. no just because I have memories of my trips

Untitled.png

Edited by gopro63