Federal grand jury summons

bbeapoz

I was once summoned for Federal Jury Duty and the only case scheduled on the day I was selected to appear involved a civil suit against my employer. Needless to say, I was not selected and did not have to report again in that 2 week period.

I used to think the same thing. Imagine my surprise when, after disclosing that I worked for a local Sheriff's Department, they selected me anyway. :(

I could see getting selected maybe for a civil case but I wouldn't think it would be a criminal case.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Federal Court rules prohibit law enforcement, active or retired, from serving.

Not sure why they should be precluded on a civil case--patent infringement for example. They won't have any special insight. In fact my paralegal background probably gives me more insight than a LEO would have on that type of case.

Not sure why they should be precluded on a civil case--patent infringement for example. They won't have any special insight. In fact my paralegal background probably gives me more insight than a LEO would have on that type of case.

I'm not very smart, but I have great reading retention. From the US Courts website: Juror Qualifications

To be legally qualified for jury service, an individual must:

be a United States citizen;

be at least 18 years of age;

reside primarily in the judicial district for one year;

be adequately proficient in English to satisfactorily complete the juror qualification form;

have no disqualifying mental or physical condition;

not currently be subject to felony charges punishable by imprisonment for more than one year; and

never have been convicted of a felony (unless civil rights have been legally restored)

There are three groups that are exempt from federal jury service:

members of the armed forces on active duty;

members of professional fire and police departments; and

"public officers" of federal, state or local governments, who are actively engaged full-time in the performance of public duties.

Persons employed on a full-time basis in any of these categories are barred from serving on federal juries, even if they desire to do so. I read something somewhere about retired law enforcement, but obviously wasn't this source.

Edited by blizzardboy

I'm not very smart, but I have great reading retention. From the US Courts website: Juror Qualifications...

You are exactly right. Police officers are barred from federal jury service. They can't even request to serve.

Although, I'm almost certain retirees are not exempt.

You are exactly right. Police officers are barred from federal jury service. They can't even request to serve.

Although, I'm almost certain retirees are not exempt.

Exactly. Once one retires from law enforcement or the military, they have no special standing, nor should they. The only reason they are exempt while active is for public benefit. I don't understand why EMS is omitted, hopefully it won't be the relative of whatever lawmakers who omitted them having a heart attack and there is no one to respond. I would also say that said in that case, teachers and medical professionals should also be exempt until retirement.

Edited by ducklite

I could see getting selected maybe for a civil case but I wouldn't think it would be a criminal case.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It was a county criminal case. I was SO sure they were going to excuse me, and couldn't believe it when I was picked to sit on the jury. (I was no longer with the Sheriff's Department at the time, but had 20 years in as an EMT, Firefighter and 911 Dispatcher.) Then, after listening to 4 days worth of testimony and becoming invested in the outcome, I was picked as the "alternate" juror and didn't even get to deliberate. They found the defendant not guilty - which was a pretty big surprise to me. Had I been in the deliberations, I would have had something to say about that.

It was a county criminal case. I was SO sure they were going to excuse me, and couldn't believe it when I was picked to sit on the jury. (I was no longer with the Sheriff's Department at the time, but had 20 years in as an EMT, Firefighter and 911 Dispatcher.) Then, after listening to 4 days worth of testimony and becoming invested in the outcome, I was picked as the "alternate" juror and didn't even get to deliberate. They found the defendant not guilty - which was a pretty big surprise to me. Had I been in the deliberations, I would have had something to say about that.

That's a bit of a different story. Federal court automatically excuses police office employees. The same can't be said for some more local venues. You're now saying you were no longer with the SO and it doesn't sound like you were an officer. It makes much more sense now.

Regardless, thank you for all those years serving your community. :)