Federal grand jury summons

bbeapoz

Just call them and tell them you have a trip planned..they will reschedule you. Not a big deal at all.
No problem rescheduling -- unless you've done it already. Here's a story to illustrate:

I'm a teacher, and I was scheduled for jury duty on exam week. That's a week teachers just can't miss. I sent in a letter to the address on the summons. They ignored it, but I called two weeks after sending the letter and as soon as I talked to a human being they postponed me to a summer date.

However, one of my fellow teachers was assigned to jury duty the very same week. He too asked for a postponement, but he was refused. Why? Because he'd already asked for one postponement, and this was his rescheduled week. Because it was the end of the year and graduation day was imminent, he had to come in after hours to grade his exams and submit his final grades.

The moral, of course: Don't ask unless it's really important because you just don't know when they'll reschedule you.

No problem rescheduling -- unless you've done it already. Here's a story to illustrate:

I'm a teacher, and I was scheduled for jury duty on exam week. That's a week teachers just can't miss. I sent in a letter to the address on the summons. They ignored it, but I called two weeks after sending the letter and as soon as I talked to a human being they postponed me to a summer date.

However, one of my fellow teachers was assigned to jury duty the very same week. He too asked for a postponement, but he was refused. Why? Because he'd already asked for one postponement, and this was his rescheduled week. Because it was the end of the year and graduation day was imminent, he had to come in after hours to grade his exams and submit his final grades.

The moral, of course: Don't ask unless it's really important because you just don't know when they'll reschedule you.

I recently rescheduled county court, no not quite the same as OP but, due to a cruise. I was granted a reschedule and given a new date along with a notice that I could change that within x days. Thought it was a good date and forgot about it. When my new notice came realized it wasn't a great time but was stuck. In the end I ended up not having to go due to a switch in court schedules. If that hadn't happened I would have been stuck since I didn't take the out when it was given.

I once had my victim of a crime subpoenaed for her own case. She called the court and they said, "sorry you have to show up."

When we both got there she told me she had been subpoenaed to sit on her own jury. I told her, "Oh don't worry they probably won't even call you."

Well guess who was the 5th name called? Not sure it had anything to do with it, but after a short recess the defendant plead guilty.

I once had my victim of a crime subpoenaed for her own case. She called the court and they said, "sorry you have to show up."

When we both got there she told me she had been subpoenaed to sit on her own jury. I told her, "Oh don't worry they probably won't even call you."

Well guess who was the 5th name called? Not sure it had anything to do with it, but after a short recess the defendant plead guilty.

😮 whaaaaat

My husband (fiance at the time) was summoned about a week before our wedding and honeymoon cruise. He was selected and after 3 days they ended up with a plea deal. I said it was too bad that after during there and listening to everything you just... leave without any kind of vote.

The funny part is you certainly can ignore a summons for jury duty they are sent regular mail and you can just say you can't recall seeing it. Not much they can do about it really.

Almost posted this myself but didn't.

Very True!

When they are sent by regular mail, there is no proof that you ever received it. ;)

Very True!

When they are sent by regular mail, there is no proof that you ever received it. ;)

However, if you have already written to them or called them about a postponement, as the OP has - you have acknowledged receipt and that excuse won't work.

As long as the reason is noted I doubt there's going to be any rush to issue a bench warrant for your arrest. But try to resolve.

Don't count on it brother. I thought I was too. The court clerk almost fell out of his chair when he read my occupation on the jury pool list. I sent in my jury response with my occupation as the reason for the waiver but it was denied. Thankfully, Rhode Island went to a two day system where if you're not called after two days you go home. Under the old system, I would've sat there for two weeks. What defense attorney would allow a cop on their jury?

Welcome to Rhode island. :rolleyes:

Not all jury trials are for criminal matters. You could very easily be picked for a civil trial.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Don't count on it brother. I thought I was too. The court clerk almost fell out of his chair when he read my occupation on the jury pool list. I sent in my jury response with my occupation as the reason for the waiver but it was denied. Thankfully, Rhode Island went to a two day system where if you're not called after two days you go home. Under the old system, I would've sat there for two weeks. What defense attorney would allow a cop on their jury?

Welcome to Rhode island. :rolleyes:

The ones is California would. Being a sworn officer doesn't automatically exclude you. I've seen them actually serve, not just have to show up. Though only for civil cases now that I think about it. But still.. :rolleyes:

One word of advise. Do not ignore a federal jury summons.

In your favor, a non-refundable vacation is an excuse....at least, for the extension. Unfortunately, you are stuck with the form. Most federal venues do not have a number to call.

And that's great advice.

One word of advise. Do not ignore a federal jury summons.

Are federal summonses sent certified? They have no proof you even received it, if not. Anyway, getting excused for vacation is a trivial matter. Don't sweat it.

[i see I'm not the first to make this observation. Lol]

Edited by hapster85

The ones is California would. Being a sworn officer doesn't automatically exclude you. I've seen them actually serve, not just have to show up. Though only for civil cases now that I think about it. But still.. :rolleyes:

Actually, in California most peace officers are exempt from jury service. When you get the notice there is an exemption you check on the notice and mail it back. Since you don't know if it's criminal or civil you just claim the exemption if you want. After doing that 3-4 times they stopped sending me one.

However, no less than six months after being retired I started getting them again "how do it know?"

That being said, you don't have to claim the exemption. You can show up if called and maybe make it to a civil jury. No self respecting defense attorney is going to leave a cop on a criminal case. I do know a few cops who did go and served a few days on a civil jury.

Several years ago I also got summoned for federal jury duty the week we were going on a cruise to Alaska. I sent in the request for postponement and never heard anything. Two weeks before I started to worry and called the federal court house in Pittsburgh and the woman told me I had to wait until the week before but they would more than likely postpone it. A few days later I did receive the postponement and the new dates of jury duty. And I got selected! 3 week long sequestered trial. It was awful.

Actually, in California most peace officers are exempt from jury service. When you get the notice there is an exemption you check on the notice and mail it back. Since you don't know if it's criminal or civil you just claim the exemption if you want. After doing that 3-4 times they stopped sending me one.

However, no less than six months after being retired I started getting them again "how do it know?"

That being said, you don't have to claim the exemption. You can show up if called and maybe make it to a civil jury. No self respecting defense attorney is going to leave a cop on a criminal case. I do know a few cops who did go and served a few days on a civil jury.

Civil cases would bore the hell out of me. I'm glad juries here are governed by the same act.

You are absolutely right when you say no defence counsel would want a cop on the jury.

Are federal summonses sent certified? They have no proof you even received it, if not. Anyway, getting excused for vacation is a trivial matter. Don't sweat it.

[i see I'm not the first to make this observation. Lol]

Idf propeR postage is placED on the NOtice, it is assumed delivered.

a

IN MY STATE, jUDGES AND ATTORNEYS SIT ON JURIES. THEY RE NOT EXCUSED BECAUSE OF THEIR WORK.

Edited by sail7seas

Picture this possible scene.

You ignore the summons, go on your cruise and when you re-enter U.S. and present your passport, you are held b ecause of failure to comply with Federal Grand Jurysummons Good luck.

Edited by sail7seas

I have no experience with the federal system, but I do work in a district court (Texas) and I can tell you that our jury coordinators and my Judge are extremely flexible with people when the person lets them know. I cannot tell you, however, how many times people who are in our jury pool sit through the entire jury selection process and after being told MANY times "please let us know if you have any plans that would interfere with your jury service" they say nothing and then when they're picked for jury, finally bring it up. At that time it's too late.

Wishing the OP luck, but sometimes grand jury service is treated much differently.

I have been excused from normal federal jury service because of vacation plans, but my uncle requested to postpone a federal grand jury service so he could attend a reunion of his WWII unit in France (several years ago)...it was denied.

Very True!

Pretty much all of my mail goes right into the trash without even being opened.

I called the number I found and left a detailed message. The recording says to expect a return call in 1-3 days. We'll see. Also logged on the website and it says "Your current status is pending for postponement." I'm hoping this is moving in the right direction.