Case of Wine

beach bunnie

What's the best way to take a case of wine on board and protect it? We're going on a long cruise (7 weeks) and I'd like to take 12 to 15 bottles. Last time I put 8 bottles wrapped in towels and big Ziploc bags in my carry on. I know and am not worried about the corkage fee. I'd just like to have a variety of wines we like.

Thanks.

Most wines are shipped in boxes that hold a dozen bottles and should offer ample protection for your purposes, assuming you are driving to the port, not flying. I would simply include that as part of your carry on luggage. If you want to go to 15 bottles, put the extra three in your luggage as you did previously.

If you want to go to 15 bottles, put the extra three in your luggage as you did previously.
HAL's rule is that ALL wine must be carried on.

ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES BROUGHT ON BOARD

Each guest 21^ years and older may bring one bottle of wine

or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on

luggage at the beginning of the voyage. This bottle will not

be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom.

Additional wine or champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml)

in carry-on luggage are welcome, but will incur a US$18.00

(subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where

they are intended to be consumed. Guests are not allowed to

bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors and spirits onboard.

Holland America Line reserves the right to remove all

alcoholic beverages from any guest luggage that violates this

policy. Any alcoholic beverage found will be removed and

returned on the last evening of the voyage. Guests will not

receive any monetary compensation for alcoholic beverages

that were removed from luggage.

Edited by jtl513

Suggest you google 'wine luggage'. Lots of choices from roll-on bags carrying 12 bottles, etc.

On our last seven day cruise, we had a small carry-on sized roller bag each. I put six bottles in a backpack that I attached with bungge cords to the handles of the roller bag. Worked fine but we drove to the port.

If you do that you'll be called to the "naughty room" to open your luggage. HAL's rule is that ALL wine must be carried on.

No, go back and read the OP and my post. All of the wine would be carry on.

Most wines are shipped in boxes that hold a dozen bottles and should offer ample protection for your purposes, assuming you are driving to the port, not flying. I would simply include that as part of your carry on luggage. If you want to go to 15 bottles, put the extra three in your luggage as you did previously.

That's fine, but you have to carry that case and it is not the most comfortable thing to do.

I would suggest two wine carrier bags that are available at wine shops and they often give them away for free. They can take 4 or 6 bottles each.

5600976.jpg

We arrived a day ahead of our departure from San Diego for a 35 day cruise. We rented a car and went to Costco. We found a box with dividers in the wine section which we then filled up with our choices. We had packed a length of cord so were able to tie the box on top of a roller carry-on bag. It was a little heavy but managed without a disaster-all bottles intact. We made sure the cord went both lengthwise and crosswise around the bag a couple of times. We had many offers of help - to consume the wine, not to carry it - while we waited in line!!!

We had many offers of help - to consume the wine, not to carry it - while we waited in line!!!

Hilarious! :D How do they charge the corkage fee? Do they pull you out of the check-in line and write up a ticket for you to sign? You don't even have your cruise card yet. :confused:

After going through the security scanner the liquor check-in desk was straight ahead. They took our cabin number from our boarding papers and wrote up an invoice. They counted the bottles, subtracted one for each of us and gave us stickers for the rest of the bottles. Quite easy.

Do know you can check the wine boxes as on the last WC, someone loaded 16 cases of wine after prior arrangement with HAL. Recommend you call HAL and ask about this if you do not want to carry on but it is easiest of you just bring the case(s) with you.

I found my hard carry on could hold 10 bottles of wine and that can just be rolled ;). The rest went in a hand carrier (as previously shown) that we had obtained at a wine store previously. Worked out quite well :)

We have used wine boxes from Spirited Shipper in the past.

http://spiritedshipper.com/

They have handled cardboard totes that hold up to 6 bottles, or boxes that hold up to a dozen. For the big boxes, you'll need something like a Strap-a-handle (Office supply stores, Amazon) These boxes are very heavy duty and are UPS and FedEx approved. I wouldn't hesitate to ship good wine in them.

We arrived a day ahead of our departure from San Diego for a 35 day cruise. We rented a car and went to Costco. We found a box with dividers in the wine section which we then filled up with our choices. We had packed a length of cord so were able to tie the box on top of a roller carry-on bag. It was a little heavy but managed without a disaster-all bottles intact. We made sure the cord went both lengthwise and crosswise around the bag a couple of times. We had many offers of help - to consume the wine, not to carry it - while we waited in line!!!

There's a Rite Aid about 4 blocks from the pier in San Diego. It has a surprisingly good selection of wine.