1st time cruises..cast your vote please

Soggy75

We're a family of 4(mum,dad and 2 boys aged 11&13) planning our 1st cruise for summer 17.

After some research and good advice on this forum we've narrowed it down to 4 options.

-NCL Epic 7nt W Mediterranean

-NCL Star 7nt E Mediterranean

-RCI Freedom 7nt W Mediterranean

-RCI Jewel 7nt E Mediterranean

Route-wise i would prefer the e med as its somewhere I've never been

Boat wise we prefer the bigger boats sailing the w med as we're drawn to the extra facilities.

So whats would everyone choose?

My preference, for me, would be the Jewel or the Star. For you...I think tween boys would be wowed by Santorini and you might be able to do a beach in Mykonos. Plus, if the facilities on the ship are important, that itinerary has two sea days to enjoy them. The western itineraries have only one sea day, so I would not be paying extra for a fancy schmancy ship with all the extras and no time to utilize/enjoy them. Long days in port, return to the ship and all the boys want to do is head for the buffet and some pizza (forget the shower they probably need...). Although I don't care to sail NCL, the Star itinerary is my favorite, because I just can't get enough of Venice. I think the boys would find it fascinating, but you need to get there a couple of days early...Or stay a couple days after the cruise. Getting in the day before the cruise is not enough, you have to deal with jet lag... EM

But the first thing I would do is get a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports. Read about the ports on each itinerary and what there is to do there. Get the boys involved in what they would like to do if you visit there.

We're a family of 4(mum,dad and 2 boys aged 11&13) planning our 1st cruise for summer 17.

After some research and good advice on this forum we've narrowed it down to 4 options.

-NCL Epic 7nt W Mediterranean

-NCL Star 7nt E Mediterranean

-RCI Freedom 7nt W Mediterranean

-RCI Jewel 7nt E Mediterranean

Route-wise i would prefer the e med as its somewhere I've never been

Boat wise we prefer the bigger boats sailing the w med as we're drawn to the extra facilities.

So whats would everyone choose?

I think they would all be just fine, but my kids vote for Freedom of the Seas. They like the things that are available to kids on this ship.