Using Dollars in Norway

mek

OP, I for one appreciate your post. Not sure why people reacted to it but whatever. I am going to Norway next week and was trying to decide if I needed cash or could use my CC. And was wondering about tipping in US money - after all it is a tip (not required, not demanded). So thank you for providing this information.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I second this 'Thank You' was envisioning six different currencies on Baltic cruise. Loved the input about a single carrot on CC.

Someone mentioned a Pin with Chip card. Are there places where a Pin is mandatory ? Our new Chase cards are Chip & Sign. Wonder if it can also have a Pin. I will call Chase but just wondered if it is mandatory.

As discussed frequently around these boards, PIN is only required at unstaffed locations, like ticket machines at train stations.

No, you can't just get a PIN. The card has to be set up for it, and most banks in the US, like Chase (we have Chase as well) aren't setting the cards up for it. Yet.

As discussed frequently around these boards, PIN is only required at unstaffed locations, like ticket machines at train stations.

No, you can't just get a PIN. The card has to be set up for it, and most banks in the US, like Chase (we have Chase as well) aren't setting the cards up for it. Yet.

Thanks for speedy clarification.

Almost all places accept credit cards and our capital one CC w/o pin worked everywhere including ticket machines. One time getting train tickets in Helsinki it asked to enter pin which we didn't but it still processed the transaction. Other train kiosks in Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm didn't ask for a pin.

We got currency in two places. Denmark which we ended up never using and unloaded it all on the taxi driver on the way to the cruise terminal. Germany, only because the church tower and gift shop in Lubeck took only cash. (others took CC)

Other than 2 bathroom stops and those I just mentioned, cash of any currency was never needed during our entire Baltic trip.

I would like to mention that besides bathrooms, small currency is needed for lockers. A few museums in Copenhagen and Stockholm required money for lockers but it does give it back. Alot of places wouldn't let us bring in our backpacks.

Someone mentioned a Pin with Chip card. Are there places where a Pin is mandatory ? Our new Chase cards are Chip & Sign. Wonder if it can also have a Pin. I will call Chase but just wondered if it is mandatory.

Do not waste your time calling Chase. They will give you the long speech about why chip and sign works as well as chip and pin. From personal experience, as annoying as our lack of technology is, they are 99% correct. With the exception of an automated gas pump or automated train ticket machine I have never had any of my cards denied.

The US banks, with the exception of two small federal credit unions, have decided basically that setting up the infrastruture to support pins on the new chipped cards would be more expensive than their losses due to card fraud with lost or stolen cards. Almost every US issued credit card will require a signature when used at a retail location. The credit card networks have pressured European vendors to accept what is called no cvm at kiosks and automated gas pumps and the like. No cvm means no pin allowed. There may be a few instances, very few, where kiosks and ticketing machines have not been properly programmed in accordance with these regulations but chip and signature cards will work 99.9% of the time everywhere credit cards are taken including automated kiosks and the like.

All our credit cards have the chip now and though my AE will be the primary Card once we board the ship, we will also have a Visa & MC. I am sure we will want a small mount of local currency for getting something to drink during the day & lunch. Our hotel will have a breakfast so a post I read, mentioned eating a good meal before starting out then taking snacks along.

Edited by Desert Cruizers