Palma de Mallorca - DIY?

My family and I will be on Harmony visiting Palma de Mallorca in August. I have read that this port is easy for DIY. I have a few questions:

- Does RCL offer a shuttle from the port to the Old Town?

- If they do have a shuttle, how much do they charge?

- How far is Bellver Castle from The Cathedral area? Is it walking distance?

- If not walkable, are taxis readily available to and back from the castle?

- How much will the taxi ride cost?

Thanks for any recommendation you can offer.

I was there with my family 2 months ago and spend over 10 days, a lot to do and see but you wont have enough time unfortunately :(

I would recommend you to walk around the old city which is very close to the port, you wont need any kind of transportation, only my 2cent :)

Question: we would like to have sangria and paella in Palma. Any suggestions? We are there tomorrow and back in ship at 7:30 pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You will have no difficulty to get both !!! My Recommendation is :

Take the shuttle bus or public bus or taxi to he center of Palma and spend the morning exploring this truly great city.

Finish at the Cathedral and walk down the steps to the Borne (this is the main drag in Palma).

Look to the other side of this road and you will see a small alley ( Apuntadores )in the area of La Lonca many small streets, you will find your Paella and Sangria.

If you have had enough of Palma and want the get out to a perfect little harbour for a Perfect Paella and Sangria lunch ( 15 Mins ).

Take a taxi or No3 bus which stops at the top of the Borne outside C an A and get off at Cala Nova .Restaurant situated on the Quay and they do Great Paella's.

It is very hot here in Majorca !!!

Right in front of the port is the old town, many restaurants serve tapas with paella and Sangria :)

The Old town is nowhere near where your ship will dock , the old town is around the cathedral which you will need to get the shuttle ,public bus or taxi from.

Edited by roger b
spelling

Our ship is docked all the way down at "Dique." I'm assuming Celebrity will offer a shuttle. Do you know where it drops passengers off? We are thinking of doing the HOHO tour, and even the nearest stop on that is 2.5 km from that dock.

Thank you.

Our ship is docked all the way down at "Dique." I'm assuming Celebrity will offer a shuttle. Do you know where it drops passengers off? We are thinking of doing the HOHO tour, and even the nearest stop on that is 2.5 km from that dock.

Thank you.

If Celebrity does dock at Dique and you get the shuttle it will drop you off opposite the Cathedral--- Cross the dual carriage way and you will find the Ho Ho bus a 5 min walk.

Roger,

Thats great! Thanks. Kind of what I needed to know too. I assume the cathedral is well marked on most maps?

Unfortunately, RCCL is not known for having shuttles available. One time they did when Barcelona was a stop, not a terminus. When it is a terminus, the port bus is our only hope. Wonder what Palma will have?

Roger,

Thats great! Thanks. Kind of what I needed to know too. I assume the cathedral is well marked on most maps?

Unfortunately, RCCL is not known for having shuttles available. One time they did when Barcelona was a stop, not a terminus. When it is a terminus, the port bus is our only hope. Wonder what Palma will have?

Hi, Read this Thread and it gives you everything about RCCL docking in Palma .

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2220049

You will have no difficulty to get both !!! My Recommendation is :

Take the shuttle bus or public bus or taxi to he center of Palma and spend the morning exploring this truly great city.

Finish at the Cathedral and walk down the steps to the Borne (this is the main drag in Palma).

Look to the other side of this road and you will see a small alley ( Apuntadores )in the area of La Lonca many small streets, you will find your Paella and Sangria.

If you have had enough of Palma and want the get out to a perfect little harbour for a Perfect Paella and Sangria lunch ( 15 Mins ).

Take a taxi or No3 bus which stops at the top of the Borne outside C an A and get off at Cala Nova .Restaurant situated on the Quay and they do Great Paella's.

It is very hot here in Majorca !!!

So, back home now for a few days and wanted to thank you for all of your help with this port. Unfortunately, it was the last port of 6 consecutive and also the last stop before flying out the next morning. We wanted to do so much, but just decided to take a taxi in after lunch and walk around. We were not disappointed. We took your advice and found the side street with restaurants and had paella and sangria. We left the ship about 2:15 or so and was back on a few minutes before 7:30. Mallorca is now on my list for a direct visit within the next few years as I would like to spend a few days relaxing and enjoying it alone.

Hi Roger,

Thank you so much for all of your very valuable information. We are looking at either doing the HOHO bus or a free walking tour. We thought the HOHO bus would allow us to see more - like the castle and get us closer to Plaza del Toros, but the walking tour might be nice as well. Which would you recommend? We are there on a Sunday, so we weren't sure how much would be open.

Also, if our ship doesn't offer a shuttle from Dique, how often does bus#1 stop, how much does it cost and is that the best way for a group of 6 traveling together to get to the center of town? Could we get a taxi for 6 easily?

Thank you.

Hi Roger,

Thank you so much for all of your very valuable information. We are looking at either doing the HOHO bus or a free walking tour. We thought the HOHO bus would allow us to see more - like the castle and get us closer to Plaza del Toros, but the walking tour might be nice as well. Which would you recommend? We are there on a Sunday, so we weren't sure how much would be open.

Also, if our ship doesn't offer a shuttle from Dique, how often does bus#1 stop, how much does it cost and is that the best way for a group of 6 traveling together to get to the center of town? Could we get a taxi for 6 easily?

Thank you.

Firstly I am a bit of a loss as to why you want to go to the Plaza del Toros as it is on the ring road and nowhere near the center of Palma ??

The best bet it to get the shuttle this will take opposite the Cathedral , it is a short walk round to the Ho Ho bus which starts in Borne .

This the main drag in Palma and you can walk from here (see my recommended walks further back on this thread).

A lot of the smaller shops and the Cathedral will be closed in Palma , What a pity you are there on a Sunday. You will love it and have to return one day.

Well, I just thought it would be fun to see a bullfighting ring, but it's not something we have to do. It's hard to tell from Google maps where things are situated.

Anyway, thank you. I just wasn't sure if a walking tour or the hoho would be better for seeing things since we are there on a Sunday, and I'm not sure our ship will offer a shuttle so I was looking for the best way to get to town.

Has anyone taken the HO/HO bus here? I can't decide to take that or just public transportation.

It depends where you want to go to the Ho Ho bus has a set route around Palma.

https://www.getyourguide.com/palma-de-mallorca-l1260/palma-de-mallorca-hop-on-hop-off-bus-tour-24h-ticket-t3455/?cmp=ga&partner_id=CD951&gclid=CjwKEAjw34i_BRDH9fbylbDJw1gSJAAvIFqU4FdDo8M7Hdq5osb_D1I2tnXEZNPzOw-zuM7xWob2CBoC67rw_wcB

If you want go further afield you can use public transport

Hi Roger...am a newbie to all of this. Will be on a Celebrity cruise that will be at this port on a Wednesday in early November. One of the ship's tours is described as such for $119 each...would love to get your opinion on this:

Immerse yourself in Mallorca’s rich wine culture and delicious cuisine while visiting the vineyards of the Santa Maria area, stopping at three different wine cellars and traditional country houses along the way. Departing from the pier, you’ll enjoy a scenic drive to the inland vineyards to discover Mallorca’s oldest tradition – winemaking – from the producers of the island’s best vintages. Your first stop is the Macia Batle cellars, where you’ll taste four different wines and typical Spanish hors d'oeuvres. A picturesque train ride through the vineyards brings you to the next venue, Finca Es Cavas. Here, you’ll be treated to a tour of the property, teeming with fragrant olive trees and animals. Taste an assortment of olive oils, vinegars, and salt before re-boarding the train to your next stop, Finca Son Fiol. Upon arrival, you’ll explore the vineyards and taste a variety of sweet wines and typical Spanish deserts. A panoramic bus drive back to your ship concludes your incredible sightseeing, cultural, and culinary experience.

Hi Roger...am a newbie to all of this. Will be on a Celebrity cruise that will be at this port on a Wednesday in early November. One of the ship's tours is described as such for $119 each...would love to get your opinion on this:

Immerse yourself in Mallorca’s rich wine culture and delicious cuisine while visiting the vineyards of the Santa Maria area, stopping at three different wine cellars and traditional country houses along the way. Departing from the pier, you’ll enjoy a scenic drive to the inland vineyards to discover Mallorca’s oldest tradition – winemaking – from the producers of the island’s best vintages. Your first stop is the Macia Batle cellars, where you’ll taste four different wines and typical Spanish hors d'oeuvres. A picturesque train ride through the vineyards brings you to the next venue, Finca Es Cavas. Here, you’ll be treated to a tour of the property, teeming with fragrant olive trees and animals. Taste an assortment of olive oils, vinegars, and salt before re-boarding the train to your next stop, Finca Son Fiol. Upon arrival, you’ll explore the vineyards and taste a variety of sweet wines and typical Spanish deserts. A panoramic bus drive back to your ship concludes your incredible sightseeing, cultural, and culinary experience.

Hi, Yes a good day out to be recommended if you like wine , Santa Maria is about a 40 min drive from the port , I hope they take the back roads as there is a motorway that goes there.

I have been to all these vineyards and Macia Batle is the largest with some great wines , buy a bottle of white Llum or red Crianza to take back to the ship you will not be offered it at the tasting as these are their premium wines about 10 euro's a bottle.

Majorca produces some great wines that are not exported , I also feel that $119 is good value for this tour.

Hope this helps!!!

Hi, Yes a good day out to be recommended if you like wine , Santa Maria is about a 40 min drive from the port , I hope they take the back roads as there is a motorway that goes there.

I have been to all these vineyards and Macia Batle is the largest with some great wines , buy a bottle of white Llum or red Crianza to take back to the ship you will not be offered it at the tasting as these are their premium wines about 10 euro's a bottle.

Majorca produces some great wines that are not exported , I also feel that $119 is good value for this tour.

Hope this helps!!!

That does indeed help us make up our minds, thank you so much!

Will be in Palma from 8am-5pm on Sunday, October 16th on Celebrity Equinox who advised me they do not provide a shuttle. There are 4 of us and we want to go to Valldemossa and spend a few hours. The monastery appears to only be open from 10am-1pm on Sundays so that is our gating factor.

So what is our best option? If we take a taxi from the pier to Valldemossa, how much should we expect to spend one way and is it easy to get a cab at both places?

Our other option is the Line 210 bus - there are two departure times that would work from the central station but I think the first one will be impossible to make (leaves for Valld. at 8:30) so I think we're limited to the one that leaves at 10:00. If we take the bus would you suggest we take a taxi to the central station or is it fairly simple to catch the Line 1 bus near the entrance to the Dique pier? How long via taxi from pier to central station? via Line 1 bus?

Many thanks for any help/suggestions you can provide!

Barb

Will be in Palma from 8am-5pm on Sunday, October 16th on Celebrity Equinox who advised me they do not provide a shuttle. There are 4 of us and we want to go to Valldemossa and spend a few hours. The monastery appears to only be open from 10am-1pm on Sundays so that is our gating factor.

So what is our best option? If we take a taxi from the pier to Valldemossa, how much should we expect to spend one way and is it easy to get a cab at both places?

Our other option is the Line 210 bus - there are two departure times that would work from the central station but I think the first one will be impossible to make (leaves for Valld. at 8:30) so I think we're limited to the one that leaves at 10:00. If we take the bus would you suggest we take a taxi to the central station or is it fairly simple to catch the Line 1 bus near the entrance to the Dique pier? How long via taxi from pier to central station? via Line 1 bus?

Many thanks for any help/suggestions you can provide!

Barb

Options :Taxi 15/20 mins around 17 eu

Bus in to Palma No 3 get at shopping centre Port Pi a 20 min ride to Plaza Espana (central Bus Station) 2 eu.

I think there also a bus at 10.30 from then every half an hour and the journey is about 30 mins .

I would get off in central Palma and walk to Plaza Espana 20 min walk that way you could have a stroll though some of Palma before catching the bus.

https://www.tib.org/portal/documents/10286/272059/L210%2C%20des%20de%202016.05.02.pdf

Hope this helps !!

Hi my husband uses a wheelchair, will we be able to explore Palma or is it very cobbly? Many thanks

You should have no problem as there are very few cobbled streets in Palma, it caters well for disabled people with ramp's where necessary, most bus's have the lowering to the curb for wheel access.