Palma de Mallorca - DIY?

Since you have lived there so long, what would you recommend doing on that port day? We have a family of 4 w/two young men (over 21). Thanks soo much.

quote=roger b;50293569]Hi , I have lived in Majorca for the last 20 years. Bellver castle is not really walk-able from the cathedral a taxi will be about 12 euros and they are plenty of taxis, the cruise terminal is about 35 mins walk along the the sea front. I can answer any other questions on Majorca

The Nearest Beach to the port is in Cala Mayor :

https://www.seemallorca.com/beaches/cala-mayor-beach-palma-de-mallorca-cala-major-(beach-resort)-664263

I would do the city of Palma in the Morning and the grab a Cab to the beach about 15 euros and not more than 15 mins, I will be easy to get back to the port on No 3 bus 2 euros .

Thanks so much! Have you been to the Anima Beach Club? Would it be worth 35 Euros for a chair, umbrella and drink there?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In a word NO dont waste your money ,its about 3/5 euros for a bed and an umbrella ,2/3 euros for a coffee .

Also it is an ugly beach on a narrow rocky foreshore , my recmendation is to go to Illetas beach.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Forums mobile app

Roger - I just wanted to come back and let you know we had such a nice day in Mallorca based on your suggestions! We rented two cars (9 people) - drove to Bellver Castle, then on to Valdemosa for lunch, then to Soller. We were there during the orange festival and it was a bit of a challenge to drive around in the town with the small streets and some of them closed. But we loved it. We didn't have time for anything else, but these three stops were really great. Thanks for the help and recommendation! It was a great day. Mallorca is so beautiful. We need to go back some day and spend more time!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Roger, what a great help you are. I've really enjoyed reading your posts.

I'm looking for an update now. We will be docking in Palma on June 27 2018 and would like to hire a taxi to drive husband and I to Valldemossa about 0900. Have some time on our own there, get a nice lunch and then get the public bus at 1445 to Palma, arriving at 1515, and see the cathedral . The ship departs at 1800.

Could you recommend a taxi that we could book, so that it would be waiting for us at 0900 at the port?

Could you give us a estimated cost for one-way?

Do you think this is a feasible day ??

Which stop would we use to get off the bus near the Cathedral?

Thanks so much. Pam

Hi Roger, what a great help you are. I've really enjoyed reading your posts.

I'm looking for an update now. We will be docking in Palma on June 27 2018 and would like to hire a taxi to drive husband and I to Valldemossa about 0900. Have some time on our own there, get a nice lunch and then get the public bus at 1445 to Palma, arriving at 1515, and see the cathedral . The ship departs at 1800.

Could you recommend a taxi that we could book, so that it would be waiting for us at 0900 at the port?

Could you give us a estimated cost for one-way?

Do you think this is a feasible day ??

Which stop would we use to get off the bus near the Cathedral?

Thanks so much. Pam

Hi,

All is possible taxi about 40/50 eu , you would be better off hiring a car ( use the company i recommended further back) they will leave the car in the car park at the cruise terminal and you return it to the same place ( a lot cheaper) and you will be free to do much more if you look back a few posts somebody followed exactly what you are trying to do.

There will be taxis at the port you will not need to book if you you are not up to driving yourself .

Hi,

We are going to be in Mallorca in June and wanted to plan some easy diy activities. This is our first cruise, Royal Carib - Symphony of the Seas. We will be porting in at 8 AM to 4 PM and need to be back to the ship an hour before departure. I am really nervous as we've never done this before and don't want to miss the departure. I was interested in seeing the Drach Caves. Would there be enough time? Any recommendations on what we should do with the limited time we have at the port?

Hi,

We are going to be in Mallorca in June and wanted to plan some easy diy activities. This is our first cruise, Royal Carib - Symphony of the Seas. We will be porting in at 8 AM to 4 PM and need to be back to the ship an hour before departure. I am really nervous as we've never done this before and don't want to miss the departure. I was interested in seeing the Drach Caves. Would there be enough time? Any recommendations on what we should do with the limited time we have at the port?

You will have no problem if you take the ships tour , but it is difficult on your own as it is at least one hour trip to get there,you would be very rushed .

Personally I would explore Palma a jewel of a city lots to see have a nice relaxing day with lunch.

The caves are very touristy , and is along way to travel for half an hour underground unless you are a caver.

Hi,

All is possible taxi about 40/50 eu , you would be better off hiring a car ( use the company i recommended further back) they will leave the car in the car park at the cruise terminal and you return it to the same place ( a lot cheaper) and you will be free to do much more if you look back a few posts somebody followed exactly what you are trying to do.

There will be taxis at the port you will not need to book if you you are not up to driving yourself .

Thanks for your advice. We don't want a hire car coz we're from Australia and it's on the wrong side! Also don't want to have parking hassles, so we'll look for a taxi at the port if you think there will be enough available. thanks again.

You will have no problem if you take the ships tour , but it is difficult on your own as it is at least one hour trip to get there,you would be very rushed .

Personally I would explore Palma a jewel of a city lots to see have a nice relaxing day with lunch.

The caves are very touristy , and is along way to travel for half an hour underground unless you are a caver.

Thanks for the input Roger! We are not cavers so I think exploring Palma will be the way to go for us.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be in Mallorca on May 21st, off the new Royal Caribbean ship. We are thinking of taking a catamaran tour. What is the average temperature this time of year? We are thinking of using the following company, Oasis Catamaran. Has anyone used them or any other company?

HI. hope someone can help me. We are visiting Palma de Mallorca on May23 from 3 pm to 12 am. Its our first visit so my plan to take a cab (how much?) and to go to Cathederal and old city. what do I tell driver ? We don't speak Spanish at all. How easy is to get taxi on way back? do I need to go to taxi stop or just wave to taxi on street is fine? How safe is Palma to walk around during the evening? since we are not departing till 12 am I would love to stay for late dinner in city. any recommendation for nice restaurant.

We will be in Mallorca on May 21st, off the new Royal Caribbean ship. We are thinking of taking a catamaran tour. What is the average temperature this time of year? We are thinking of using the following company, Oasis Catamaran. Has anyone used them or any other company?

No Problem with the temperature also sea will be warm enough to swim , There are three companies offering trips from Palma (Attraction, Magic and Oasis) all offer a similar day trip .

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187463-d8353112-Reviews-Oasis_Catamaran-Palma_de_Mallorca_Majorca_Balearic_Islands.html

HI. hope someone can help me. We are visiting Palma de Mallorca on May23 from 3 pm to 12 am. Its our first visit so my plan to take a cab (how much?) and to go to Cathederal and old city. what do I tell driver ? We don't speak Spanish at all. How easy is to get taxi on way back? do I need to go to taxi stop or just wave to taxi on street is fine? How safe is Palma to walk around during the evening? since we are not departing till 12 am I would love to stay for late dinner in city. any recommendation for nice restaurant.

Easy Ask for Le Seu Cathedral , You can see it from the port and is a 10 mins in the taxi and about 10 euros , you will easily find a taxi to go back to the ship and you can just hail one.

If you look back through this thread you will see a list of restaurants I recommended, but were ever you go you will not have a bad meal .

Most restaurants do not open until 7.30 /8 pm ,you will find a lot around the main drag :

https://www.seemallorca.com/sights/guide/passeig-des-born-palma

Look for del Apunadors which in the street adjoining the cathedral many Tapas bars in this street.

IT is safe but you must be aware where ever you are !!!

Come back for anything Pacific .

Easy Ask for Le Seu Cathedral , You can see it from the port and is a 10 mins in the taxi and about 10 euros , you will easily find a taxi to go back to the ship and you can just hail one.

If you look back through this thread you will see a list of restaurants I recommended, but were ever you go you will not have a bad meal .

Most restaurants do not open until 7.30 /8 pm ,you will find a lot around the main drag :

https://www.seemallorca.com/sights/guide/passeig-des-born-palma

Look for del Apunadors which in the street adjoining the cathedral many Tapas bars in this street.

IT is safe but you must be aware where ever you are !!!

Come back for anything Pacific .

thank you so much.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Roger

We will be in Palma for a day and a half during the summer off our cruise. I am renting a car as per your suggestion and will have it waiting in the port. If we leave by 9:30 will this be doable in your opinion? I want to go to Valldemossa, walk around, hike to the restaurant se Fortunada near Deja for lunch walk around some more in Deja then comeback. How does that sound.?

Thanks in advance!

Lenny

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hey Roger

We will be in Palma for a day and a half during the summer off our cruise. I am renting a car as per your suggestion and will have it waiting in the port. If we leave by 9:30 will this be doable in your opinion? I want to go to Valldemossa, walk around, hike to the restaurant se Fortunada near Deja for lunch walk around some more in Deja then comeback. How does that sound.?

Thanks in advance!

Lenny

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Lenny,

The Archduke's Trail unless you are fit a big ask it takes 5 hours but is a fantastic walk, so lunch might be a late lunch !! ,you should be in Valldemossa by around 10.15 say 1 hour there could be longer if you take the tour in the monastery.

. The restaurant is about half way around 1/2 hours from Valldermosa lunch around 2.00pm then a 3/4 hour walk to Deia.

So get to the restaurant ( The restaurant is lovely and will take at least 1.5 hours)and see how you feel after lunch you might have had enough by then and get a taxi back to your car in Valldemossa.

One thing you might have a problem with is parking in Valldemosa always crowded !!

Hope this helps with the timings if you don't mind what time you get back to the ship YOU can do it !!!

http://www.mallorcahiking.com/en/p271/gr221-stage-3a-valldemossa-to-deia.html

https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/ShowUserReviews-g580319-d1055105-r368925618-The_Archduke_Way-Valldemossa_Majorca_Balearic_Islands.html

This has probably been asked and answered before but we dock in palma for the day and want to go through to the main city centre bit. What's the easiest & most cost effective way to get there using transport? were 3 adults sailing this july,

Many thanks

This has probably been asked and answered before but we dock in palma for the day and want to go through to the main city centre bit. What's the easiest & most cost effective way to get there using transport? were 3 adults sailing this july,

Many thanks

Personally as there are 3 of you I would jump in a taxi about 10/12 euros or get the shuttle bus .

Sorry, I made a mistake and was not clear. Specifically I would drive to Valldemosa, walk around the town and then drive to Sa Foradada. Walk down for 30 minutes, have lunch and walk back up. Thinking of driving to Deja and walk around a little. Then drive back to Palma.

How does that sound?

Thanks again!

Sorry, I made a mistake and was not clear. Specifically I would drive to Valldemosa, walk around the town and then drive to Sa Foradada. Walk down for 30 minutes, have lunch and walk back up. Thinking of driving to Deja and walk around a little. Then drive back to Palma.

How does that sound?

Thanks again!

This Is very easy and a lovely day out , I did the same route about 3 weeks ago with some cruise critic followers , I would drive on to Soller and explore the village and come back trough the tunnel to Palma, you have picked perfect day out !!!

• 2 weeks later...
Personally as there are 3 of you I would jump in a taxi about 10/12 euros or get the shuttle bus .

Most cost effective way walk, it took us quite a while about an hour and a half with a stop but we took the shuttle into town and walked back it really is a lovely walk.