Palma de Mallorca - DIY?

Hi Roger.

Thank you for the information. We are discussing, which beach we will be heading, but thank you for the information. We are inclined to go to Illetas to try something different. Also it is closer from the port.

I was seeing the route through google maps and he says it takes 1h32 minutes to get there, taking bus Nº 3, while you say it takes 15 minutes. Now i'm confused. :) sorry.

https://www.google.pt/maps/dir/Puerto+Palma/Beach+Illetes,+Passeig+Illetes,+54B,+07181+Illetes,+Illes+Balears,+Spain/@39.5452148,2.6012014,15z/data=!4m15!4m14!1m5!1m1!1s0x0:0x9f844e95da79384f!2m2!1d2.6309513!2d39.5529975!1m5!1m1!1s0x12978e7713776b3f:0x6ed068b6befc06ba!2m2!1d2.5905459!2d39.5369125!3e3!5i1

The 1hr32m is walking, not taxi which is 11mins.

The 1hr32m is walking, not taxi which is 11mins.

Thanks for giving the right answer, I live in Illetas and get the bus into Palma alot. , and the time of the bus is around 15/20 mins .

On looking at the google map it is unclear as to where you get the bus : to find it come out of the cruise terminal and cross the main sea front road via the flyover and you will come to the Av De Joan Miro cross that road and the bus stop is on the other side.

Any great spots to eat lunch?

There are too many good restaurants to list here , but it really depends how far you wish to travel or will it be a day in Palma ? a lunch by the sea? just give me an idea of how you want to spend the day and i can recommend a restaurant ,I have been to all the Hot restaurants on the island, my list for restaurants in Palma is about 2 pages back .

I go through Trip adviser and work my way down the list every so often to get all the new restaurants that appear every year.

There are too many good restaurants to list here , but it really depends how far you wish to travel or will it be a day in Palma ? a lunch by the sea? just give me an idea of how you want to spend the day and i can recommend a restaurant ,I have been to all the Hot restaurants on the island, my list for restaurants in Palma is about 2 pages back .

I go through Trip adviser and work my way down the list every so often to get all the new restaurants that appear every year.

Palma is the one port I have no plans for. Will be there for 7 hours and get there at 13:00. I thought a nice lunch would be great. I wouldn't mind taking a taxi. I'm thinking seafood. More clams/mussels shellfish. But a restaurant near a good walking spot would be nice.

Thanks!

Noticed your comments. We will be in Palma in November and wondered if the Mercado San Juan is a worthwhile market to eat and shop? It seems to be highly regarded. Short distance from the Cathedral.?

We have just arrived from Mallorca with Brillance of the seas. RCCl offers a shuttle from the port to downtown for 10 euros for 1 day and for 15 euros for 2 days as many times from arrival to 10 pm. On the first day, we took the hop hoff bus for 17 euros. The bus goes downtown and to the castle, note that the castle is closed on Monday. The second day, we took the city bus ´"Airport line" for 1,5 euro to go downtown.

The hobho bus and city bus are rigth at the exit of the cruise terminal.

Taxi are also available.

There is no tourist information at the terminal exit. It would have been so easy, we had to discover that on our own.

Hope it helps.

We have just arrived from Mallorca with Brillance of the seas. RCCl offers a shuttle from the port to downtown for 10 euros for 1 day and for 15 euros for 2 days as many times from arrival to 10 pm. On the first day, we took the hop hoff bus for 17 euros. The bus goes downtown and to the castle, note that the castle is closed on Monday. The second day, we took the city bus ´"Airport line" for 1,5 euro to go downtown.

The hobho bus and city bus are rigth at the exit of the cruise terminal.

Taxi are also available.

There is no tourist information at the terminal exit. It would have been so easy, we had to discover that on our own.

Hope it helps.

Sounds perfect. Thank you for sharing the information.

Noticed your comments. We will be in Palma in November and wondered if the Mercado San Juan is a worthwhile market to eat and shop? It seems to be highly regarded. Short distance from the Cathedral.?

It is quite a long walk from the Cathedral (40 mins) and I have found it quite un- inspiring , a better bet would be the Mercardo Olivar .only 10 mins from the Cathedral.

http://www.mercatolivar.com/

A fantastic market !!! go to fish section and you will find the freshest seafood served anywhere.

Palma is the one port I have no plans for. Will be there for 7 hours and get there at 13:00. I thought a nice lunch would be great. I wouldn't mind taking a taxi. I'm thinking seafood. More clams/mussels shellfish. But a restaurant near a good walking spot would be nice.

Thanks!

Take the shuttle bus into Palma it will drop you off opposite the Cathedral , Walk along the sea front passed the Cathedral a very nice walk .you will come to Portixol My favorite is :

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187463-d2361205-Reviews-Petit_Can_Punta_Port-Palma_de_Mallorca_Majorca_Balearic_Islands.html

But you will have a big choice on the way Hard to get a bad meal in Majorca .if you can pick one with a menu del dia around 10/ 15 euros with wine.

It is quite a long walk from the Cathedral (40 mins) and I have found it quite un- inspiring , a better bet would be the Mercardo Olivar .only 10 mins from the Cathedral.

http://www.mercatolivar.com/

A fantastic market !!! go to fish section and you will find the freshest seafood served anywhere.

Thank you for that. Didn't know about it. Will taxi to Market. Lunch and pics.

• 2 weeks later...

There are lots of good bars and restaurants around the Santa Catalina market and within the market.

By La Lonja there is a good tapas bar called La Boveda. In the centre of Palma is a long standing typical restaurant called Sa Premsa.

Something a bit more upmarket for fish or seafood, Can Eduardo or Hotel Portixol.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

RCI charged €8pp for a round trip last week on their shuttle. Dropped off by Cathedral.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In Costa Fascinosa, they charge €12pp, but the ticket was valid for the all day. It also dropped off near the Cathedral. it seems it is all cruise shuttles stop.

Never made to the beach, because the sky was full of clouds. I felt a drop or two during the morning, but in the afternoon the skies open up, but since we were already spending the day in "town". The beach will be on the next time. :cool:

• 2 months later...

Hello! There is a lot of info here but I’m still a little confused. We are in port 1pm-8pm on a Saturday in Nov, I was thinking of taking the wooden train to Soller and maybe also the tram to the port of Soller but I don’t know if I have time before the sun sets or how to get back in the dark. I had thought to take a bus back. I have 3 boys that love trains so I thought they’d like it and it would be scenic. Is there something better to do?

Thanks

A few of you have kindly mentioned that the RCCL ships and others have shuttle services that drop you off by the Cathedral. Is that the only stop? Do they offer a pickup point somewhere too? We are planning a walking tour starting from there, but wouldn't want to have to walk all the way back to the Cathedral to return to the ship! Maybe it's just one-way?

If we take a city bus, can we use euro coins, or do they need tickets?

Hello! There is a lot of info here but I’m still a little confused. We are in port 1pm-8pm on a Saturday in Nov, I was thinking of taking the wooden train to Soller and maybe also the tram to the port of Soller but I don’t know if I have time before the sun sets or how to get back in the dark. I had thought to take a bus back. I have 3 boys that love trains so I thought they’d like it and it would be scenic. Is there something better to do?

Thanks

Sorry your trip is not possible you won't have enough time ,

not much for the boys around the town of Palma in the time you have ashore. Sorry no suggestions.

A few of you have kindly mentioned that the RCCL ships and others have shuttle services that drop you off by the Cathedral. Is that the only stop? Do they offer a pickup point somewhere too? We are planning a walking tour starting from there, but wouldn't want to have to walk all the way back to the Cathedral to return to the ship! Maybe it's just one-way?

If we take a city bus, can we use euro coins, or do they need tickets?

The shuttles only stop by the cathedral , easy to go anywhere with the local buses and they accept euro#s

Thanks

Haven't been there, but did read about this for families when researching Mallorca; might be of interest to your boys:

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g187463-d7605195-Reviews-Adventure_Rooms_Mallorca-Palma_de_Mallorca_Majorca_Balearic_Islands.html

Haven't been there, but did read about this for families when researching Mallorca; might be of interest to your boys:

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g187463-d7605195-Reviews-Adventure_Rooms_Mallorca-Palma_de_Mallorca_Majorca_Balearic_Islands.html

A Long way from the port with nothing around it is a one stop destination .

• 3 weeks later...

We have been to Mallorca many times. If this is your 1st visit, do not miss the Cathedral. The stain glass windows are awesome &in all our many travels we have not seen anything more impressive. We go back again & again.

Walking the tree lined Main Street is also very beautiful.

Try ARASH car hire in Portals Nous, I always used them before I bought my own car ,all they need is a copy of your driving licence, they will leave the car in the car park at the port with a locked box on the window with the keys, all you have to do is return it to the same place and put the keys back in the box.

https://www.arashrentacar.com/

Has anyone tried this rental car company? We will be in Mallorca next Saturday and hope to take a drive out to the west coast of the island.

Originally posted by roger b Try ARASH car hire in Portals Nous

A couple of questions. Will be in Palma on Nov22 with a cruise. I was very interested in the train to soller, taking the bus out and the tram/train back, then walking back to port. That may be a challenge in the time we have. Your thoughts?

The car hire looks like a solid choice. Pick up near the port to enjoy the drive to Valdemossa & Soller, and try to catch both the Cathedral & Bellver before re-boarding. What is parking like near the Cathedral & the Castle? We're not driving on any other portion of our cruise, but with the distance between the Cathedral and Bellver not walkable, and the possibility of a lovely drive thru the mountains, I'm thinking a driving adventure might be worthwhile during our Palma Port day.