Ship Excursions with a family

Justicedog

Hi,

My family of 4 (2 - 40 somethings and a 16 and 14 year old) is going on a Royal Caribbean cruise the end of July. We're going to Cozumel, Labadee, Haiti, Falmouth Jamaica, and Georgetown, Grand Cayman.

I've not figured out our excursions yet but have browsed them. I am planning on just sticking to the ones sponsored through the ship - otherwise, it would be more stressful to me and overwhelming to figure out and research private excursions.

My husband and kids would like to do the zipline in Haiti, but I don't think I can. Also, the kids would like to do a swim with the dolphin thing somewhere, but my Husband wouldn't want to do that, he'd watch our stuff and take photos though. Those are the two specific ones I can think of, not sure the others.

Is there a way for one in the party to tag along but not participate in the excursion without paying the full price for it?

Janelle

Edited by Justicedog

Hi,

My family of 4 (2 - 40 somethings and a 16 and 14 year old) is going on a Royal Caribbean cruise the end of July. We're going to Cozumel, Labadee, Haiti, Falmouth Jamaica, and Georgetown, Grand Cayman.

I've not figured out our excursions yet but have browsed them. I am planning on just sticking to the ones sponsored through the ship - otherwise, it would be more stressful to me and overwhelming to figure out and research private excursions.

My husband and kids would like to do the zipline in Haiti, but I don't think I can. Also, the kids would like to do a swim with the dolphin thing somewhere, but my Husband wouldn't want to do that, he'd watch our stuff and take photos though. Those are the two specific ones I can think of, not sure the others.

Is there a way for one in the party to tag along but not participate in the excursion without paying the full price for it?

Janelle

I can't answer your question for Haiti, but Cozumel has a great place to swim with the dolphins and its a short taxi ride from ship. Here is what I did in April 2016 when we docked in Cozumel and I wanted to swim with the manatees (same place as the swim with the dolphins). The following is from my review ...

Friday, April 15, 2016 - Cozumel (also tax day)

Today is a day I am really looking forward to. The last time I was in Cozumel I swam with the manatee. It was great, my new favorite. My old favorite is feeding the stingrays at Stingray City. I book the 10:00 visit with the manatees online at a discount. The problem is, when you book you have to state which hotel or ship you are on. You can’t book without providing this information. You also can’t book if you are on a ship. The ship doesn’t offer the swim with the manatee as a shore excursion, so I decided to slightly misstate things. I said I was at a hotel and the name of the hotel was the “Liberty of the Seas” (since the ship really is a floating hotel). It worked. Booking online gave me a 10% discount. It got better once I got to the park.

But before I go to the park there were two things I wanted to do. One, have breakfast, which this time was steak & eggs at Chops. The other thing was to find out if we are one hour head of Cozumel or not. For Roatan and Belize the Compass (which is the ship’s newspaper) said we were one hour head. However, for Cozumel it did not say this. I saw Jorge (the Diamond Concierge) on my way to breakfast. He said Cozumel in the same time zone as Roatan and Belize so he thought the ship would be one hour ahead, but he would have to check. My reply is that Galveston is in the same time zone also. I saw Anis (the Concierge) in the Suite Lounge. I asked him and he used a very simple method to get the answer. He logged on to the computer and checked the local time. Cozumel and the ship’s time are both the same.

So after breakfast I head out to Chankanaab Park (also known as Dolphin Discovery). The taxi ride was $12 each way. Once there I didn’t have to pay anything extra for admission and I got a 25% discount on the 12:00 swim with the manatee session. Yes, I am doing the same thing twice. I have four wrist bands. Yellow and Pink are admission bands (apparently the park is both a commercial park (like Sea World) and a national park (like Yosemite). So there are two admission fees. Perhaps that is the reason for the 25% discount, since apparently the $59.00 swim with the manatee includes the price of admission. Who cares, I’m in.

I was here is 2004 and did the swim with the dolphin and swim with the seal programs. The last time I was here was March 2013 and that is when I swam with the manatee. The swim with the dolphin program has clearly become more popular. Unfortunately so has the swim with the manatee program. In 2013 there were three of people and two manatees. Today there were fourteen people in the first session and four manatees. I don’t know how many people were in the second session. I would guess at least eight. Fortunately, the manatees eat 10% of their body weight per day. So a 450 pound manatee eats forty-five pounds of lettuce and I don’t think both groups combined came to that amount, and there are four manatees. So I didn’t have to worry about the manatees being not hungry (or fed-up - ha ha).

In the first group there was a group of eight family/friends and six of us not with the group. So the family/friends where sent to feed three of the manatees while the other six of us interacted with the fourth manatee. When we finished interacting with the manatee, the two groups switched. As I finished feeding the manatees I wondered what to do next. Squirting the kids in the other group seemed to be a good idea. I can squirt water from between my two hands, a skill that takes some time to perfect. So the kids tried, but they could not squirt me back. Then I noticed two stalks from the lettuce. I know the manatees will eat that also. So ask for the two stalks and get to feed the manatees again.

A word of warning. You are not allowed to bring your own camera. They will take plenty of pictures of you. Their taking the pictures is free. Your taking the pictures is not. I believe you can buy individual pictures (print or digital) but I wanted them all in a digital format. No problem, that came to $70 for each session ($140 total for both sessions). It cost more for the photographs than it is for the swim with the manatees experience. Between the two sessions I ended up with 96 photographs of me with the manatees. That works out to about $1.46 per photograph, which isn’t a bad price on a per photograph basis.

After my second swim with the manatees, I decided to walk around the park and take pictures. I don’t think I covered all of the park, but I believe I was able to photograph more than ninety percent of the area that most people would be interested in. As I got ready to leave I noticed that the 2:00pm swim with the manatees was the smallest group. Small groups are nice, however, the manatees’ appetite insures that if you have a head of lettuce, you will find that one or more of the manatees will become your friend.

Here is a link to the pictures I took at Chankanaab Park (where you can swim with dolphins, seals and manatees - all in one day) ...

http://s18.photobucket.com/user/ZefH/slideshow/RC%20Liberty%20OTS/Chankanaab%20Park%20I

http://s18.photobucket.com/user/ZefH/slideshow/RC%20Liberty%20OTS/Chankanaab%20Park%20II

No need to pay extra for the ship's tour. Just DIY.

Edited by Cuizer2

While your husband would be allowed to watch you all swim with the dolphins (the one in Cozumel has a special observer price), any attempt to take a photo might end up with the camera swimming with the dolphins. When I did the one in Cozumel a few years ago, I brought my waterproof camera to take pictures, but now I don't even think they permit those. They want to sell you their overpriced pictures.

While your husband would be allowed to watch you all swim with the dolphins (the one in Cozumel has a special observer price), any attempt to take a photo might end up with the camera swimming with the dolphins. When I did the one in Cozumel a few years ago, I brought my waterproof camera to take pictures, but now I don't even think they permit those. They want to sell you their overpriced pictures.

Just bring a good zoom lens, I took pictures of people swimming with the dolphins without any problem.

While you can't accompany the others up TO the zip-line, you can wait at the exit, and take photos of them coming towards you!

Coz is a pretty easy DIY place, but they do have the dolphin thing there.

Falmouth is a man-made port area....there is nothing really close-by, although you could take a cab to a beach....

Get a guidebook on Coz and Jamaica from your library...see your options, then you can choose what you want to do. Labadee, Haiti is the private beach for RCI, and you won't find anything about it in a guidebook.

Hi,

Janelle

The good news is that the Zip Line in Labadee can be observed from the beach. You pay the price for the ride, but you don't need to go with them. It's basically a hike up the hill and EVERYONE watches them come down over the bay. It's right at the port.

Again for the dolphins, in Cozumel, the dolphin swims are VERY easy to do on your own instead of the cruise line (although I know that you wanted to stick to cruise line excursions). If you went with the cruise line they "might" have an observer fare, but it would be quite a bit less, and VERY easy to do this on your own. That way those that want to do the swim can do it and observers may not have to pay anything. There are a number of very nice facilities in Cozumel to do this (although I'm not a fan).

If I can make one more suggestion, DEFINITELY do a Stingray excursion. It's really a fantastic adventure if you've never done it. Again, you'd all have to pay to go out on the boat, but only those that want to have to get into the water.

I agree with the others that doing a dolphin excursion on your own in Cozumel would be really easy. DH and I went to Chankanaab in December with our toddler. (We didn't do the dolphin thing. We could see where is was taking place, but we didn't try to walk out there. I believe they have an "observer" rate though.) (Chankanaab also has a zip line course, so you can choose a package of up to 7 zip lines, I believe. There is only 1 zip line in Labadee, and you only get to do it once.)

Labadee is a "private island" or at least a private part of an island and is owned and operated by RCI. If you Google Labadee map, you can find a map of the area that will show you where the zip line starts and ends. From my understanding, an observer cannot go up the hill with the participants, but like the others have said, the zip line goes down over the main beach area.

In Falmouth, personally, I would choose a ship excursion, but I know many people have enjoyed private ones. It's just such a long drive from the port to the excursion locations that I would feel safer on a ship-sponsored tour. I know they have both dolphin swims and zip line excursions there, but I haven't done either. There are a lot of excursions your kids might enjoy there, though. Tubing/river rafting, climbing waterfalls, bobsled run, etc.

I also agree that Stingray City in Grand Cayman is a pretty cool experience.

Have you been over to the ports of call boards? They have a wealth of info about each port, excursions, etc.

I must have been half asleep when I said I didn't know about Haiti, better known as Labadee. Observing the zip line on Labadee is easy, just stand on the beach like I did ...

Labmap-s.jpg

IMG_2103.jpg

IMG_2150.jpg

IMG_2136.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

IMG_2102.jpg

Thanks for the responses. I've not gone over to the ports/excursions section yet. Overwhelmed on the First Time Cruisers Thread of What I Wish I knew ... and it's over 100 pages. :eek: Finished that. I'm now moving onto the excursions. Sometimes much information is not a good thing. Also, this work thing really gets in the way. :)

Do the Stingrays have barbs? Isn't that how Steve Irwin died?

The pictures look great! I love them.

Is the beach at Labadee walkable from where the tender lands? It looks like it from the map.

Hi,

Janelle

Hi we did a sting ray and snorkel with a company called Moby Dick tours, we had a fabulous day the boat had loads of room and there was only 10 passengers onboard. I would definitely recommend this company we travelled in 2015.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi,

Janelle

pretty much never. a few of the interactive events may have a 'observer only' price, but not many.

the rays are clipped regularly so their barbs are not lethal. these have all been 'domesticated'. Mr Irwin was in the unsecured wild.

Thanks for the responses. I've not gone over to the ports/excursions section yet. Overwhelmed on the First Time Cruisers Thread of What I Wish I knew ... and it's over 100 pages. :eek: Finished that. I'm now moving onto the excursions. Sometimes much information is not a good thing. Also, this work thing really gets in the way. :)

Is the beach at Labadee walkable from where the tender lands? It looks like it from the map.

The stingrays at Grand Cayman are not domesticated and do not have their bards clipped. There are no cages and they are free to come and go as they wish.

However, there is free food available so they aren't going anywhere. Teh sound of a boat engine is their dinner bell. They are very used to people and as long as you don't step on one (which is why you do the stingray shuffle) you will not get hurt. You can hold them and they will swim right up to you.

Steve Irwin was swimming with a stingray that was not used to people and felt trapped because on one side was Steve and on the other side was the cameraman. The stingray reacted in self defense.

Yes, the stingray rays at Grand Cayman still have their barbs ...

UU_zps9d304964.jpg

Yes, you can walk from the ship to all the beaches at Labadee.

Here is another view of Labadee (this is from June 2007 - before the dock was installed) ...

3lzc-IMG_3089.jpg

Edited by Cuizer2

That map is out of date. There is now a dock at Labadee. Everything there is an easy walk.