Questions about May

macsford

Can anyone who has cruised Alaska offer advice?

This will probably be our only Alaska cruise and I like the look of the itinerary for Celebrity Silhouette 17 May next year, 9 nights with Sitka as an extra port and a reasonable time in Victoria.

The Vancouver departure works well for us with return from Seattle direct flight also available with British Airways. We plan to visit our son,DIL and grandchildren in Toronto first which will help with the 8 hour time difference U.K. to Vancouver, then 3 nights in Vancouver. I hope I might also feel a little less sad this time saying "see you next year" if I am going to this cruise!

My first question is, is this too early in the season for our only Alaska cruise?

I realise it will be cold but hope that scenery will not be spoiled by rain or fog.

My other question is, is an aft view balcony better than a side balcony for Alaska? We are active so the distance to the elevators is not a problem.

As this trip is top of my bucket list I have told my husband that he will love the photo opportunities and he can choose the next trip!

Thank you for your opinions, I would then feel that, whatever I choose, I had as much information as possible.

It's not too early, but bear in mind it will probably be in the 40's (5° C) most days as a high. An aft cabin would definitely be ideal, especially for a round trip and in viewing Hubbard Glacier.

You will see fog in the morning at most ports, so you may want to plan your excursions accordingly. (i.e. flight seeing tours would be better after noon) And rain, it seems, is always predicted. Just be prepared and have rain coats/jackets.

By the way, I think you Solstice and not Silhouette. ;)

It's not too early, but bear in mind it will probably be in the 40's (5° C) most days as a high. An aft cabin would definitely be ideal, especially for a round trip and in viewing Hubbard Glacier.

You will see fog in the morning at most ports, so you may want to plan your excursions accordingly. (i.e. flight seeing tours would be better after noon) And rain, it seems, is always predicted. Just be prepared and have rain coats/jackets.

By the way, I think you Solstice and not Silhouette. ;)

Thank you K.T.B., that is all helpful.

Yes, I meant Solstice. We have a trip on Silhouette this year and hence my mistake!

Statistically May is the driest of the cruise season months where you'll be going. Even if you went in the middle of July there's no guarantee that you would have warm weather, and odds are even in May it will rain now & then - you're cruising a rain forest after all...

Bring appropriate clothing for May in Yorkshire, but do throw in a hat, scarf & gloves as it gets a bit nippy near the glaciers even on a warm day. I think the previous poster is confusing daily Lows with Highs - Sitka/Juneau/Ketchikan/Skagway all have an average daily Low of 6C or more by mid-May, with Highs in the 12-14C range, and Vancouver runs about 4-5C warmer.

Since you have to pack for Toronto as well as the PNW, I'd say May is the most sensible month to visit! May was always pretty nice when we lived in T.O. - no snow, but never ridiculously hot - so you won't need to pack for super-cold or super-hot weather.

I've cruise the last 2 weeks of May, every year for about the past 15. :) It's a great time, in my opinion. BUT- you are too early for salmon runs, and bear tours. Also may be too early for the Lake Bennett train out of Skagway.

I strongly suggest you determine WHAT you are going to see and do in the ports- first and make sure they match up with the timing. I just returned a couple weeks ago, and ran into several "disappointed" people with fishing options.

May was absolutely the perfect time for us. We had no fog the entire week, no rain on port days and were in short sleeves in Ketchikan and light fleece for Juneau and Skagway. There was, unfortunately, too much ice to get up Tracy Arm to Sawyer Glacier, but we had the awesome experience of seeing Dawes Glacier and Endicott Forjd instead, no complaints here. We will definitely go again mid-May.

Thank you to all of you for such useful information.

I really had not thought about the amount of luggage if we combine with Toronto when it is hot there. We were also in Toronto Christmas 2013 ice storm and have known such cold before. At least, Alaska in May won't be that cold.

I am pleased that you have had some sunshine there as well so we can hope for some of that.

It looks like the best excursions will book early so I will look at them. We prefer to avoid the ship's excursions when we can.

If the train might not run in Skagway it might be better to book a bus trip or hire a car for the day.

Glad I found such helpful people on Cruise Critic. It is so much better to hear it from someone who has actually been there.

Any more of your knowledge is appreciated.

If the train might not run in Skagway it might be better to book a bus trip or hire a car for the day.

The train will run in Skagway at that time. Though one way in train and one way in bus is always a good idea. You can check out Chilkoot tours.

Most excursions will be in full force when you go. There are some things that don't happen until later in the summer like some bear excursions, etc....

I have been to Skagway the first two weeks in May for a number of years and the train has not failed to run on any of my visits. There is a snowplow available to clear the tracks if it becomes blocked.

My recommendation is the bus/train combination that goes all the way to Caribou Crossing for lunch and playing with the sled dogs.

Great scenery in the Yukon Territory:

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/canada/yukon-territory/

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/skagway-2/white-pass-yukon-railroad/

Hope this helps in your planning.

I have been to Skagway the first two weeks in May for a number of years and the train has not failed to run on any of my visits. There is a snowplow available to clear the tracks if it becomes blocked.

I agree. I am usually up there mid May when I go. I have seen snow up there but nothing significant. I have never heard anyone post that they couldn't do the train ride in May on this board.

I like cruising Alaska early in the season.

When it comes to weather you can never be sure what it will be like but we have found it a nice time to sail and the ports a little less busy with less children out of school.

Your best views from the ship will be on the outside public decks where you can go from side to side and see more of a panoramic view. With that said for nice views the aft would be nice.

Keith

I've cruise the last 2 weeks of May, every year for about the past 15. :) It's a great time, in my opinion. BUT- you are too early for salmon runs, and bear tours. Also may be too early for the Lake Bennett train out of Skagway.

My post clearly, stated the "Lake Bennett" train, which is NOT running most of May.

The combo, Fraser train tours, and the round trip White Pass itinerary are available.

I also suggest looking at Dyea Dave's tours for a combo, Emerald Lake/Klondike Highway and Fraser White Pass RR.

My Mom and I cruised the Alaska inside passage May 24 through June 1 of this year. I have taken three previous Alaska cruises, all in August. The May cruise had the most spectacular scenery. The snow was still on the mountains and made the beautiful scenery even more so. We saw whales, many eagles, and a young brown bear eating dandelions beside the Yukon Highway outside of Skagway. Tracy Arm was filled with ice, but we saw Dawes Glacier in Endicott Arm and it was calving. The high temperatures were between 55-60°F, very comfortable. I recommend May very highly. Enjoy your trip!

Vicki

As a Vancouverite I have done the Hubbard Glacier Vancouver to Vancouver trip and hands down it is my preference over a northbound or southbound cruise. While I cannot guarantee the weather...May has been unusually warm bordering on hot the last couple of years. June we refer to as Junuary. 10000% vote for aft cabin. Spend some time just looking. You will be amazed by what you see if you just appreciate that you are cruising in luxury and your problems are elsewhere.