Thunderstorms

1STTIMEATSEA

Thunderstorms are not a problem. You may have some limited activities on deck, but you will be safe. If it gets really bad, they will move around the storm activity but it will have to get pretty bad.

A few years back sailing from Los Angeles to Hawaii we sailed 3.5 day through a several tropical storms. I thought it was a cyclone but the waves were only 30 feet. Ship made it fine, most passengers were ok but a little green.

Edited by kittysnme

Has anyone sailed through thunderstorms? Does the ship divert these areas. I am on a cruise to the Western Caribbean and 80% chance of thunderstorms are in the forecast.

They go thru them and the sun will be out in minutes.

We went through a bad storm on a Mexican Rivera cruise some years back.....About 11pm we were in our friends cabin having some drinks and the lighting was hitting the ocean with huge light shows and loudddd Thunder.....Biggest and Closest storm for me

It was a added extra for the party lol 😜🍹🍹

Has anyone sailed through thunderstorms? Does the ship divert these areas. I am on a cruise to the Western Caribbean and 80% chance of thunderstorms are in the forecast.

Every cruise I've been on predicts at least two storms at whatever port. It's a fact of life to encounter inclement weather at sea. But, the storms. if any, last for a very short time.

Seeing a lightning storm from far in the distance IS something to witness.

Please, don't worry, this is part of cruising that makes it an adventure!;)

Let's look at a July months average precipitation for the Isle of Roatan. The monthly average rainfall in the month of July is 8 inches. The average number of days that rainfall usually occurs in the month of July is 20. That can be inferred to mean that most days of rainfall encountered is less than a half inch of precipitation...a drizzle, a light shower. So in the southern Caribbean you are likely to encounter a storm or two especially when traveling a considerable distance, however most encounters should be brief. On the other hand it is the tropical storm season and any one area may be inundated with rainfall and subject to rough seas for a considerable amount of time. I choose to sail on and take what comes and hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

It's pretty cool to watch the lightening at night out on the open sea!

A few years ago in the Keys there was the most impressive lightning display I have ever seen. I watched for at least an hour. My then GF now wife questioned her choice to cruise with me.

We cruised last September on the Sunshine, right thru a rain storm and 50 knot winds at night, aft extended cabin. Never noticed any rocking of the ship. I went out on deck during a lull to take night photos of the ship all lit up. Beautiful. Just the ship, no passengers out besides me.