Grand 05/31 Alaska quick review.

Yehootu

We flew in to SFO on the morning of our cruise. We were greeted at baggage claim by the Princess rep. We got our bags and headed over to the staging area. We missed the first bus, around 0930. We waited about 30-45 for the second one. The bus driver said he couldn't take anymore bags and my wife felt uncomfortable leaving them sitting at the bus court. The rep in charge gave him a quick talk and our bags got onboard. Bus still had empty seats.

San Fran terminal was a breeze. Mom is an Elite, and uses a transport chair. We were directed to the handicap lanes and we got onboard without ever stopping.

We had 2 rooms aft on Carib deck. Nice rooms. Great steward. It was his first cruise, but he was flawless!! Sandre introduced himself, and for the first time I can remember went and got Mom a shower seat right away.THX.

Cold and foggy on sail out, not much view of the bridge. Off for first 2 sea days.

This is our first "cold" cruise. First 2 days, some thought it was rough seas, we enjoyed it. As you can see from looking at Patters printed on another thread, the day basically went activity, shopping , activity, shopping. Too many people inside a ship without a lot of activities. Some lectures, some about shopping, a morning trivia, music in the Piazza. Now I don't bored, but I thought a lack of activities for sea days.

We had Botticelli table 202. Sonja and Sergio, top notch! The food, has gone downhill and I've been eating airline food for 30yrs so I'm easy to please. Sidenote: Why is the Maitre D the grumpiest dude on the first day?. Oh well we did get the table we had asked for.

The dining room is hit or miss. We did have butter and breadsticks overtime we dined there.

Juneau: We had planned to do the cable car ride, then head to the Alaskan Brewing Company. Got off the ship to drizzly weather and headed straight to the Red Dog. We got a table and Mom was really liking the honky tonk piano player. I removed my jacket and the doorman came over and commented on my University of Hawaii shirt. Jarrick told us he is a UH cheerleader Juneau native home for the summer. We will see him this season. Shopping and lunch, then back to the ship.

Skagway: WINDY!! Got Mom off so she could go to the Days of 98 show, and we went to the Alaska Dog Mushing camp. We booked off ship and Raul picked us up for our trip to the camp. We were at the far docks, away from the railroad. Camp excursion was great, Ross was our musher and gave us the history. Back to Skagway and such and beers at the Skagway Brewery. Wind was mean as we made our way back to the ship.

Glacier Bay: Foggy, wet. Still beautiful. Saw a small caving, and heard a lot of cracks.

Ketchikan: We booked Carlin Air for a Misty Fiords seaplane ride. My wife suffered a very bad migraine( car wreck ) that triggered nausea. I called Laura on our dropping anchor and explained our situation. I said "if" we could make a later flight was there one avail? She had 2 seats at 11:30, but since this was for my wife I declined. Laura called back again and offered us a short ride to see some water falls and the town. My wife made a comeback and we were met in town for a 2:30 ride. Trevor was our pilot and I believe the owner. I've been an airline pilot for the last 30yrs and a Captain for the last 20. I loved his flight. My wife sat up front, Trevor gave us "some" commentary, then just flew and let us listen to music( Zeppelin, BTO ). Mom had no idea what was playing, but we loved it. We landed in a lake, got out on the pontoon for a photo, then took off again. Laura could have just cancelled us out and kept our deposit $399.00 and moved on, but she worked hard to see my wife get that flight. Thank-You, and Please look to them to book. Great people!!

Another day at sea, Shopping, rehashed lecture, shopping, trivia, shopping. I guess you get I don't do much of the shopping stuff.

Victoria: Princess tour to Buchart Gardens and Tea. Ok, flowers and little sandwiches. Naw, gardens are beautiful! Good tour with the limited time at port.

Sea Day, the off.

Disembarkation from Elite lounge to Princess transfer. That terminal for being brand new seemed little disorganized. Get a PORTER and save the hassle. Right to the front of the line on both customs and the bus.

Rehash: Good,

Mom, 92yrs young bought the ALL you can drink. I didn't as I only drink beer. Bar tenders were excellent. They met my Mom once, then knew I wasn't abusing the policy and allowed me to get her drinks for her.

The BOGO. Loved it. The place does get crowded, but drinks kept flowing. Bar tenders were exceptional! Please fill out the comment forms for them at the end of the cruise.

Reindeer chilli and the Alaskan chowder served on the Lido deck, and Venison stew on Alaska day.

Our cabin steward, Sandree and his sidekick for the next bank of rooms. 2 very happy people having a funtime doing their jobs.I did tell Sandree several days that we'd only need service once a day, but don't forget my wife chocolates. Every morning I'd find a napkin with the treats rolled up in our mailbox.

Dining room, Sonja and Sergio. EXCELLENT! Had a great Rib Eye and fish was always good.

Crown Grill. I got a Rack of Lamb and Chilean sea bass, my wife steak and lobster and for some strange reason my Mom Halibut . All great, but Halibut was dry. Mickey the waiter was awesome.

Actually found a hot tub that had had strong jets and bubbles. A first on Princess for me.

Every staff member and crew exceptional as always.

The Bad, or at least from my perspective:

Dining room food has gone way down hill. Soups tended to taste like flower, beef horrible most of the time. Food was served hot and service above the top. One night had a chicken dish, and later had the Lamb chops off the buffet. They were excellent.

Sea night before Victoria was lobster night, very good. My complaint was the next night leaving Victoria was Surf and Turf and King Crab Legs. Only place to get crab was the dining room. Next day the lunch buffet was Taste of Alaska, no crab legs!!

Boullion station was lightly flavored salt water.

Must now sign out MUTS blankets. Wanted to get Mom one for her balcony on Glacier Bay Day, but just used pool towels.

Too much shopping emphasis! Shopping flyers, announcements, on and on.

Not enough activities on sea days. Mom the entertainment lady said why not a daytime show? comedian? something to divert people out of the piazza and into a venue. Oh yea, ALOT of Bingo, like shopping makes alot of money for Princess.

NO BETTING on the "moose races". Miss that it's always been fun on the horse racing.

Any cruise is a good cruise, but despite my shallow complaints, the crew made this another great Princess cruise. Ship was in good condition, not too much construction going on. NO pool chair hogs. Not too many buffet table hogs, did see some camped out in the Piazza as this was where the majority of daytime activity was.

Hat to say it, but trying the dark side in 30 days. Carnival Miracle to Mexico( it fit my shed and price was right)

Hope you enjoyed and my views didn't conflict with others on this cruise.

Aloha, Tim.. Cruisin with my Growler..

Who was the cruise director? Our last cruise, in early May on the Grand, also lacked quality entertainment and scheduling of activities. It definitely was the fault of our cruise director. Others had the same complaint on an earlier itinerary. Sorry, I cannot remember his name...something I am glad to forget.

They've done that pool towel and blanket check out procedure before ...

It is ridiculous and and not happy to hear they have reinstated it. Why are they so tight with them? Do people really steal these items from the cruiseline? Argh!!

They've done that pool towel and blanket check out procedure before ...

It is ridiculous and and not happy to hear they have reinstated it. Why are they so tight with them? Do people really steal these items from the cruiseline? Argh!!

yes, they do steal them... thats why they do this. Always a few rotten eggs to ruin it for everyone else.

Who was the cruise director? Our last cruise, in early May on the Grand, also lacked quality entertainment and scheduling of activities. It definitely was the fault of our cruise director. Others had the same complaint on an earlier itinerary. Sorry, I cannot remember his name...something I am glad to forget.

Cruise director was Dan Falconer. Wasn't a real hit.

Thanks for the review. I saw your ship while I was in Juneau on the Wonder. It looked wonderful from Mount Roberts Tramway and looked like it had more stuff to do on the decks than the Wonder did. Sounds like your sea days were a bit boring. Isn't there a covered outdoor area on the Grand? I get bored on sea days, but if there is a nice outdoor area, I could probably deal with it.

yes, they do steal them... thats why they do this. Always a few rotten eggs to ruin it for everyone else.

Isn't that the truth! I cannot even imagine someone doing this ... and why?? I guess we were all raised a little differently. :(

A little off topic, but on another post, I read that this passenger insisted on taking food off the ship in every port. It was food from the buffet and she paid for it through her fare, she was sure going to do as she pleased. I thought to myself, oh good ... now we are all going to be searched as we get off in each port. :mad: One bad apple!!

Thanks for the detailed review. Checked the Patter link; as 1st day list of officers missing, wondering if you recall if Luigi Moretti was the Maître D' or a new one, hopefully not too grumpy. guess they have a lot of folks to deal with!

Cheers!

Edited by NeptuneSeas

Luigi was who it was. He did smile on the baked alaska parade.

Thanks, Better late than never to smile; we don't know what is going on in someone's life, but in this position, one hopes they can at least try put on a happy front.