I can't make myself buy the in room bottle of booze...

john91498

I think some are just used to their local Costco prices, and don't realize that a cruise ship is a resort, and they can charge whatever they want for bottle service. There is always a large markup for bottle service anywhere. Cruise ship is cheap compared to Vegas (and some other cruise lines).

And for some of us not from Cali (I am originally), it really isn't a huge markup. Whenever I drive to San Diego to visit my daughter, I stock up on alcohol because it is extremely cheap down there. Everything else, not so much.

Well said , you simply cannot compare the price of alcohol from your local store to what you pay at other venues. My favorite beer at my MLB ball park is $9 ( plus tip if I choose to not leave my seat to buy it ). A SIX pack of the same exact beer on sale is $7 . A bottle of Ciroc is over $ 200 at our favorite bar. $33 at our Costco. You simply cannot compare the prices at store to other entertainment options. It is not a fair comparison.

Ok I am bringing my allowed wine onboard but here's my question is it cheaper to order the beers pre cruise to have in room or just order from bar? No way I will drink enough to buy the cheers program so that isn't an option.

We've made the liquor purchases for the room a few times before the prices went up. We just night a bottle for our cruise next weekend (birthday cruise). Since we like leaving the room with a drink, or drinking in the room, it's worth it to us. With bringing our own soda and mixers, and getting fruit juices from Lido, the bottle last the entire cruise. We haven't tried the drink package on Carnival yet, but has a great experience with Royals Ultimate Beverage plan when we were on the Oasis in May. Maybe our next 7 day with Carnival we'll' try the package out.

I can't seem to bring myself to order the bottle of whiskey in room. I mean $90 for a bottle of $15 whiskey???

I know I'm going to spend around $500 just on booze and the $90 bottle will save me some money, but come on...that's almost criminal...

I hear ya! For me, I'd rather pay the full price for a served drink: prepared and poured. That $90 bottle is just full markup for nothing.

DH and I are not real heavy drinkers anymore, so the last cruise, I decided to buy an in room bottle of Crown. Yes, it was $85 plus tax, yes, seems expensive on one hand, but if you do the math, it's not that bad. It's a liter bottle, there are 33.8 ounces in a liter. If you use 1.5 ounces per drink, you would get around 22 drinks from a bottle. The cruise prior to the one we just got off last month, the crown was $6.50 (plus gratuity). so at that rate, it would cost you $143. It is now $7.25 I think per drink. It was nice to have the bottle in your room when you arrived. I also ordered a bottle of Malibu for me, same reasoning. I'm not sure how that would compare with the Drinks package, but it worked well for us.

The exact same bottle of Crown on HAL (which is also under the Carnival Corp umbrella) is around $49

The exact same bottle of Crown on HAL (which is also under the Carnival Corp umbrella) is around $49

That's because their guests are not as likely as Carnival's to overindulge and cause problems. The atmosphere on HAL and Princess is much more subdued than Carnival's is. JMHO Your opinion may be different.

Somebody mentioned that before. Although it may be under the Carnival Corp., a HAL cruise is going to cost more than a Carnival cruise. You might get one thing cheaper, but something else is going to cost more, most of the time. I could be entirely wrong, but I would guess the demand is probably less on a HAL cruise.

As somebody mentioned up thread, I remember the days that it wasn't a well known fact about bottle service, and a liter of vodka was $35. One they added it to Bon Voyage and the word got out, prices soared.

I would also guess that the majority of cruisers on Carnival wouldn't cruise on HAL to save $40 on a liter of alcohol.

Although Crusinpsychrn just brought up a good price on a balcony, that isn't usually the norm for like ships and itineraries.

Edited by crzndeb

Looking at it wrong.

Look at the bottle as entertainment. No different than buying food at the fair, ballpark or amusement park. Could I make turkey legs cheaper at home, sure.

Carnival's giving you a way to save some money on your cruise. Could be 'dry' onboard and drink onshore.

Great comparison

Shots of Jack Daniels are $6.50 plus gratuity on board = $7.48 per 45ml shot. There are approximately 22 shots in the 1l bottle.

On board, 22 shots will cost you $164.56.

The bottle via the Fun Shop will cost you $90

Do you want to save $75 dollars?

Totally agree and we normally purchase 2 bottles.

Edited by WindsorFred

The day I have to resort to rum runners to pinch that many pennies is the day I stop cruising. If I can't afford my vices then I can't afford to cruise.

Pennies add up to dollars. And dollars add up to more cruises. Watch your pennies the dollars will take care of themselves.