All I wanted was a bathtub

JAGMAP

When I want a cabin with a balcony I ensure I book a cabin with a balcony, not another type, or a grade of ticket that could mean I miss out on my desired balcony.

Likewise if I decided a suite with a bathtub was absolutely essential to my enjoyment or well-being on board, I would make totally certain I booked a suite that definitely came with a bathtub, not any other type, or a grade of ticket that could, however unlikely, possibly deny me a bathtub.

In either case, if I was using a TA, I'd be very annoyed if that TA went against my instructions, or made a huge mistake, that denied me my balcony or bathtub. Even more so if they then tried to blame Cunard, rather than own up to their own error.

(edited to add: I wrote this without first seeing the OP's latest post directly above).

Edited by pepperrn

Thankyou for the clarifications but it doesnt really change the issue of booking a gty which is the roll of the dice. If as your headline states 'All I wanted was a bathtub' then that is the stateroom you need to book.

If your TA went against your wishes, and I think circumvented georestrictions, then there is your answer.

Edited by Pushka

Again, thanks for all the comments, opinions and feedback. Below are additional details.

(1) The Q6 GTY room was assigned at booking. OneSource/Polar forced my TA to select the room. It was not "potluck lottery." TA's follow-up email stated they would call the next day to move me. Cunard's agency desk denied the request despite being informed no one in my party had a disability.

(2) I recognize selecting a GTY was a gamble and I lost. I reviewed all the facts I had available and instructed my TA to book a GTY. I did not know receiving a handicap accessible room was a possibility. I should have known.

(3) Having grown up in the travel industry, I knew Cunard (and every other cruiseline) wouldn't move staterooms for wanting a bathtub. I explicitly went out of my way to find a reason not to be in this room. After reading USDOT regs and receiving negative, judgmental feedback for occupying a room designed for travelers with disabilities, I chose to increase my efforts in obtaining a different room. This strategy proved fruitless. And this wasn't my first rodeo with Cunard - they fight tough!

(4) CruiseCritic was the first place I didn't receive sympathy and I'm glad because you pointed out things I didn't know, flaws in my logic, were quick to respond and defended the brand.

(5) Though I've traveled on QM2 once before, I'm accustomed to RCCL and NCL where industry practice is followed in assigning GTY rooms no more than 72 hours in advance of departure. I booked Q6 because it was half the cost of Q5 and had originally planned to reserve a P1, but my TA saw for $800 more I could upgrade to Queens. I'm 33 years old and would never be able to afford QG accommodations. RCCL/NCL cruises I had been interested in were full and after my last Medit cruise on RCCL, am hopeful to spend a week with a cultured, polite, well-mannered demographic.

(6) This particular stateroom appears to have been named in a lawsuit with Cunard as the defendant. The plaintiff was assigned 7030. Reading the mainly negative brief, the guest's unsatisfactory experience, and comparing it to all other Q6 rooms (which appear to face aft) on the ship's deck plan, could see it had a different/less desirable floorplan, images differed from marketing materials and balcony size was a debateable 3X smaller (as is the Q3 :p) I did not want this room.

Read the complaint here

(7) The infant fee was adjusted the moment the Australia office opened Monday. And yes, I would have brought an inflatable swimming pool for our daughter and set it up in the bathroom. Better than bathing her in the spa, right? :p

(8) Rarely do I initiate disputes with merchants, ask for a refund or complain. I worked in hospitality for 4 years and am familiar with what can be done with guest requests in the service industry. As the child of an airline executive, I typically only flew up front. I also live in a hotel residence who's motto is "whatever/whenever (so long as it's not illegal)." My family has or has had ownership in several travel-related startups catering to the luxury segment and one parent sits on the board for the world's largest luxury travel association.

(9) Having selected a GTY room that was discounted doesn't make me or requests I may have any less important than that of a passenger paying significantly more.

When I worked front desk and had to apologize for assigning an accessible room, I felt badly because the room is undesirable. If I were working the following day, I'd ensure that guest was moved to accommodations that met or hopefully exceeded their expectations. Room changes are easy. Accommodating reasonable requests is easy. Doing the right thing takes effort and mismatched expectations/indifference is what caused me to want to cancel the trip. Since my TA was informed I would be moved if another passenger requested an accessible room, I called twice to verify whether any were available and both times were told NO.

American Express, Centurion Concierge, AX Platinum Travel Service and one of my parents, the travel industry veteran, were all surprised. I'm fairly knowledgeable on yield management since the company who pioneered the concept, also put dinner on my table every night. I'm aware travel suppliers utilize YM to maximize earnings. Even looking at the 7-day cruise I'm booked on, Q3 is sold out, but 4 are still available for the 14- and 21-day voyages.

Read USDOT's CFR here

(10) Lastly, OneSource/Polar's rule logic should be updated. The system should not have allowed my TA to assign a restricted room at booking. Handicap accessible hotel rooms, designated seats aboard commercial aircraft, stadium venue seating, etc. are controlled by the supplier. Polar should have recognized the Flash Fare and enforced the product's policy on not assigning staterooms.

I'm thankful the U.S. office blessed booking through its Australian channel and went as far as transferring personal information/preferences after making the reservation. Consulting with my parent, they said Cunard's exception management process is tight and that's how certain travel suppliers operate. And that's okay.

Wait, you have all this travel knowledge but you book a guarantee but demand a specific type of cabin? I don't understand, guaranteed cabin is what is left over, at a bad location, etc. So once they said no, but offered your money back you should have taken that, then book a proper cabinet with what your little heart desires, or fly to your destination and use the hotels tub!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

....I have learned something important from this thread though. I thought we in the UK got poorer prices and the best place to look was in the US. Now I know that Australia might be the best price. Who's have thought that?

Yes ... I have booked two cruises from NZ (same market as Australia) and the prices were significantly lower than what I was seeing in other markets. I just booked the QE 2017 world cruise sector Sydney/Kobe and got a great rate, a free upgrade to balcony, US$100 OBC and a 50% single supplement. This deal ends today, but I expect there will be other great deals to come.

Haven't taken a cruise in 4 years and last time I had a GTY was as a child when staterooms weren't assigned until you arrived for embarkation. I had no reason to believe Cunard would require my TA to select Room 7030 a month in advance. And at 30 days out, wouldn't consider it a leftover room. Especially since it's the only QG accessible room.

While travel agents may reserve accessible rooms for qualified passengers, they can also fall into trouble for reserving them when passengers don't qualify (say for example, if I wanted a larger room).

When the reservation was made, I was informed my rate was a Flash Fare which prohibits cabin assignments. I believed this to be true when I agreed to GTY. The Polar rule logic failed since I was assigned immediately at time of booking.

If Saver fares are assigned rooms 14 days out, when are Flash fares assigned?

Mentioned earlier, I didn't know GTY included accessible rooms nor are they mentioned in any QG marketing literature. Whirlpool bathtub, however, is mentioned multiple times so as an unseasoned QG Cunard passenger, I didn't know.

I could easily blame my TA for not notifying me I could be stuck with the accessible room but I believed the booking system's rule logic and the fact I was able bodied would supersede the room assignment.

@Pushka: I'm happy everyone on CC knows how GTYs work - I've learned a lot and definitely won't make this choice again. Had I known 7030 was a possibility at >30 days, I would have thought more carefully.

I know I write a lot, but I'd like to respond to everyone's comments.

Conditions of the fare were reviewed first. No country restrictions were listed but an Australian address, which I have, was required. My TA spoke with the US office who said booking the AU fare was permissible. No rules were circumvented.

Topic has been discussed at nauseum so I'll post whether 7030 was allocated to a passenger with needs after the cruise.

Again, thank you for your comments and feedback. I've been trolling the forum for do's and dont's whilst aboard and I'd like to be mindful of repeat Cunard travelers.

Attire definitely seems to a sensitive topic. Boarding time another. Knowing I've come across as entitled, what advice could be helpful to me? Jabs are okay :D

Since we'll have our 18-month daughter, what advice do you have so other QG passengers aren't disturbed? My stepmother can't stand the sight of children anywhere. I was thinking about talking with someone from the restaurant to ensure our dinner table (should we bring her) wasn't situated near passengers who could take issue.

And I know to leave the Cocktail Cruise Caddy at home :eek:

Since we'll have our 18-month daughter, what advice do you have so other QG passengers aren't disturbed?

Hi there,

I'd pack her off down to the night nursery. I'm sure you'll enjoy dinner a lot more without having to worry about an overtired toddler ;)

As a mother of three, the first Words that hit me when I read your post was "eighteen months old" and the "queens grill". One of my kids wa horrible at the table until he was maybe 18.

Another one never moved except to color quietly

I really admire your pluck coming back to the thread with the toddler question.

Only proceed if you enjoy reading. I'm so excited about this cruise!

@Jacqueline: remembering cruising as an adolescent (albeit on RCCL) I don't think my cousins or I behaved during dinner if we even showed up so I can relate. Despite opinions you may have formed from earlier posts, I'm a nice guy though highly allergic to anything or anyone nouveau riche.

Our daughter has 8 older brothers and sisters but behaves like an only child (like an adult). Since Business Class fares were marginally more expensive than infant fares, we bought her own seat so looking forward to how she reacts. I wasn't allowed up front until I was 6.

**CHILDCARE** This may sound bad, but while in port, is it common/acceptable to leave (dump) your infant onboard? Purposely selected this cruise since it had 2 days at sea and only visited 3 cities + an odd Venice overnight. Cunard almost switched us to Seabourn Odyssey leaving the same day after our snafu but its website explicitly disclosed no child services.

**GRATUITIES** I've learned on RCCL that pre-gratuities (in addition to traditional ones charged to the room) have enhanced the overall experience. Please don't judge. First thing after visiting the room I head to the restaurant to ensure our table for the week is by a window.

I imagine I'll want to tip the butler [$100] on the first day for whatever services we may need during the week. I don't want to ever feel like I'm taking advantage (no comments about the room reservation process, please).

Anyone else I should befriend? I may be entitled, but I have a good heart.

**BUTLER** What services do you use the butler for? Everytime we've stayed at the St. Regis (Punta Mita) I've declined their "services" but have no problem with Four Seasons Mexico City housekeepers unpacking, folding and tidying up (and the hotel doesn't offer a butler service). Little things like quickly replenished soaps after I've hoarded them or how my toiletries are arranged demonstrate thoughtfulness.

I want to be able to ask the Butler or whoever to make a folded towel animal as part of turn down since my partner has never been on a cruise and Ava (if awake) would get a kick out of it.

Like the building I live in, I want staff to know my whereabouts, schedule and when to expect us back. When I shout, "come in" if he or she knocks, I want them comfortable to enter without me opening the door. May be weird but try living in a W hotel.

When I worked Front Desk rarely would I receive a tip, but I would always go out of my way to ensure that guest had zero issues during his or her stay. I don't tip to keep people in my pocket (not that it's your business), I tip because I was once them and appreciated when someone recognized my efforts.

**VERANDAH**Is it worth paying $15 to try dinner or does QG food that far surpasses?

**QUEENS GRILL**I ask because RCCL's enhanced program for suites makes you feel like a VIP. Staff immediately treat you differently, expedite whatever you're waiting on as soon as they see the color of your key card. Is it the same for QG passengers? Are there undocumented benefits I should be aware of? Early boarding?

**STAFF**I have a soft spot for immigrants. Like RCCL, are staff from all over the world, see their families 1-2 times/annually and work to support them?

@ClanMcLean: night nursery it is

Edited by JAGMAP

...is a job for your butler.

Yes, Queens Grill passengers get excellent and deferential service in their restaurant, the Grills Lounge, and the Grills terrace.

I've heard about the roped-off pool areas and special sections of the theater and the ushering to the heads of lines on RCCL. You won't find that on Cunard. Yes, Queens Grill passengers get excellent and deferential service in their restaurant, the Grills Lounge, and the Grills terrace. But once you get out of your cabin and the few Grills-only areas, you will be treated very well--just like the rest of the passengers. I suggest you check out this thread to see what I mean.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2369938

**CHILDCARE** This may sound bad, but while in port, is it common/acceptable to leave (dump) your infant onboard? Purposely selected this cruise since it had 2 days at sea and only visited 3 cities + an odd Venice overnight. Cunard almost switched us to Seabourn Odyssey leaving the same day after our snafu but its website explicitly disclosed no child services.

Only do this if you are absolutely sure you will make it back to the ship on time. I read an article some time ago about parents who reached the dock just as the ship pulled out, and so missed departure. Their child was on board in childcare.

Only do this if you are absolutely sure you will make it back to the ship on time. I read an article some time ago about parents who reached the dock just as the ship pulled out, and so missed departure. Their child was on board in childcare.

I read a similar story not long ago, but the grandparents were on the ship, so the kids had family, even if it wasn't their parents.

If you leave kids in the on-board childcare, is there some kind of power of attorney (for want of a better term) you have to give the carers before you leave the ship?

I read a similar story not long ago, but the grandparents were on the ship, so the kids had family, even if it wasn't their parents.

If you leave kids in the on-board childcare, is there some kind of power of attorney (for want of a better term) you have to give the carers before you leave the ship?

"Please note that at least one parent or guardian must remain on board with your child at all times." - copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/childrens_club

"Please note that at least one parent or guardian must remain on board with your child at all times." - copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/childrens_club

And the bit that may have been missed is that children from 6mo - 2yrs can only use the centre if there is room and if at least one parent is with them at all times. From the OP the daughter is only 18mo old so cannot be left on her own, even if the parents are both on board.

The night nursery is different.

I guess that answers your question JAGMAP about leaving little one in childcare while you are in port.

Edited by Aussieflyer

And the bit that may have been missed is that children from 6mo - 2yrs can only use the centre if there is room and if at least one parent is with them at all times. From the OP the daughter is only 18mo old so cannot be left on her own, even if the parents are both on board.

The night nursery is different.

I guess that answers your question JAGMAP about leaving little one in childcare while you are in port.

On port days, the child parking lot is usually closed in the afternoons.

So have people missed that the OP has alluded to having 9 children? Hence my question re age.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

His post #41 mentions the age of 33?

Edited by Sekhmet