missed port for medical emergency/credit?

eepellet

In the US, the airlines are not required to compensate you for a delayed or cancelled domestic flight, and the Warsaw convention covering international flights protects the airline from "unforeseen" delays, so why would you expect the cruise line, which is defined under international law as a "common carrier" just like an airline, to offer compensation for something that they had no control over?

Well I don't book flights to enjoy myself while on them, they are a means to an end. The cruise companies are selling vacations and fun so they are trying to keep their customers a little more happy so they come back. A lot of companies are not required to do a lot of things customer service related, for example accept returns with no receipts, comp your dinner if it's super late or really bad, that kind of stuff, but they would like you to come back and tell your friends to use them. That's why I expect a little something if they change up their itinerary otherwise you have a lot of ppl like the OP who might switch cruise lines.

Well I don't book flights to enjoy myself while on them, they are a means to an end. The cruise companies are selling vacations and fun so they are trying to keep their customers a little more happy so they come back. A lot of companies are not required to do a lot of things customer service related, for example accept returns with no receipts, comp your dinner if it's super late or really bad, that kind of stuff, but they would like you to come back and tell your friends to use them. That's why I expect a little something if they change up their itinerary otherwise you have a lot of ppl like the OP who might switch cruise lines.

To my knowledge, most cruise lines have the same wording (basically) in their contracts and none compensate for missed ports. All the ones I have sailed have been that way anyway. So switching lines will not solve their issue.

One person being comped a meal in a restaurant, etc., does not equate to the same as compensating 1000's of people on one cruise.They could not afford to compensate every time there is an issue requiring a missed port without increasing cruise prices substantially. Not to mention, it IS in the cruise contract everyone signs, whether they read it or not is their problem. Not sure why people feel "entitled" to something when it clearly was in the contract anyway. But then again, we do live in a society, many of whom feel "entitled". Therefore, as others have said, best for a land vacation if port is most important aspect of the vacation. JMHO :)

Thank you to those who provided helpful feedback about whether or not to expect anything from Carnival. As I said I didn't have direct information so I was simply looking for clarification/info from others who may have had similar incidents.

For those of you who thought I was heartless - I am sorry if it came across that way. I did say "they did the right thing" and obviously my heart goes out to that family. And yes I am give thanks every day, not just the days on vacation, when I am able to wake up, be with my family, and serve in some way.

All I can say is that I work in a hospital and we can literally save someones life and they will still complain about the food and expect us to compensate them somehow so perhaps I am a bit jaded when it comes to "customer service."

Overall the cruise was enjoyable but as some of you pointed out if we are able to travel again we will have more in-depth discussion about what the most important part of the trip is and plan accordingly.

Thank you.

Thank you to those who provided helpful feedback about whether or not to expect anything from Carnival. As I said I didn't have direct information so I was simply looking for clarification/info from others who may have had similar incidents.

For those of you who thought I was heartless - I am sorry if it came across that way. I did say "they did the right thing" and obviously my heart goes out to that family. And yes I am give thanks every day, not just the days on vacation, when I am able to wake up, be with my family, and serve in some way.

All I can say is that I work in a hospital and we can literally save someones life and they will still complain about the food and expect us to compensate them somehow so perhaps I am a bit jaded when it comes to "customer service."

Overall the cruise was enjoyable but as some of you pointed out if we are able to travel again we will have more in-depth discussion about what the most important part of the trip is and plan accordingly.

Thank you.

You took some harsh answers with grace. I missed a port too, but we just left and it turned into a sea day, but it was weather related. That was to be the port I looked forward to. I did eventually get there on a later cruise.

Just back from a 5 night cruise on the Paradise. We left our first port, Grand Cayman, on time. About 5 hours later they announced that due to a medical emergency we had to turn back. About 2 1/2 hours later they announce that we aren't going to the next port, which was Cozumel. We just spent another day in Grand Cayman.

The next day we heard from a couple we met on board that an assistant cruise director told them that the woman who had a heart attack unfortunately passed away on the tender going back ashore. While my heart goes out to the woman and her family, what they were told next is what bothers me. According to them the assistant said that the only reason we didn't go on to Cozumel was because Carnival was not willing to pay the airfare for the woman's family and her casket to go home. Obviously I have no way of knowing if this is true or not. They also said they were told that each person would receive a $60 credit.

We got our excursion fee refunded, but did not see any other credits.

I don't mean to sound callous because obviously they did the right thing getting this woman care as fast as possible, but we had to save for several years for this trip and the only reason we chose the Paradise was because of the Cozumel stop. Both my husband and I and our two teenage boys were really looking forward to the Tulum/snorkeling excursion.

I saw on another posting on this site that another Carnival cruise earlier this year got into port late due to an emergency and each person received a $25 credit and 20% off on a future cruise.

If we manage to save money for another vacation in a few years I don't see why Carnival wouldn't do something to something to encourage us to cruise with them again as opposed to just going somewhere and staying at a resort, or going on another cruise line.

Has anyone had experience communicating with Carnival for issues like this? Any success?

Thanks in advance.

A lot of people will spread information that is not correct, either because they are mad or simply think they know everything. As many others have said, no employee would ever even say that to a passenger, and Carnival isn't responsible for transporting a deceased body.

As for OBC, cruise ships miss ports almost every week for one reason or another, its just the flexibility you need to have when taking a moving vessel with thousands of fellow guests on a vacation.

Grand cayman is beautiful, I would consider it a bonus to go there 2x in a week.

The compensation you get is your good health and the ability to go home to hug your loved ones.

If this was the other social media site we're not supposed to mention I would LOVE this post, and multiple times if possible.

While I do understand weather issues can affect ports and would not expect any compensation for that. I would expect something, even 50-60$ obc, for non weather issues, that in includes other passenger health issues.

That being said it would never really bother me anymore if I missed a port. I cruise for the ship part of the cruise and can find something to do at any port or even stay on the ship and I would be happy.

So it's Carnival's fault someone has a heart attack? That's totally out of their control so why should they pay anything? Perhaps if that happens on one of your cruises you should ask the grieving family for compensation for your inconvenience :rolleyes:

That's why I expect a little something if they change up their itinerary otherwise you have a lot of ppl like the OP who might switch cruise lines.

I truly don't believe any other cruise line handles these situations any differently. But, with that said, if a cruise line does what the Carnival did in this situation, putting the wellbeing of their guests in front of the itinerary, and people have a problem with that, then they aren't the type of people that I personally would want to cruise with.

I truly don't believe any other cruise line handles these situations any differently. But, with that said, if a cruise line does what the Carnival did in this situation, putting the wellbeing of their guests in front of the itinerary, and people have a problem with that, then they aren't the type of people that I personally would want to cruise with.

As I've said I really don't mind missing ports and understand them trying to get a guest to proper medical staff hopefully in time to save them. But I like going against Carnival/cruise groupies that defend them to no end and stating what normal people think. I would say 2000ish guests are thinking like the OP and me and are expecting something in compensation, whether it is in the contract or not. Most big companies in America tend to try keep people happy and giving some OBC is a good way to at least stop the majority of the complaining.

As I've said I really don't mind missing ports and understand them trying to get a guest to proper medical staff hopefully in time to save them. But I like going against Carnival/cruise groupies that defend them to no end and stating what normal people think. I would say 2000ish guests are thinking like the OP and me and are expecting something in compensation, whether it is in the contract or not. Most big companies in America tend to try keep people happy and giving some OBC is a good way to at least stop the majority of the complaining.

If it's due to a fault if the Cruiseline such as mechanical or what have you then yes you should be compensated. If it is something out of their control such as weather or a passenger getting sick or dying, Carnival has absolutely nothing to do with those scenarios. So, no compensation is warranted. Asking for such IMHO is nothing but greedy.

Of course they want to keep customers happy. So then why don't they just fill one of the pools with $100 bills and let everyone jump in and grab as many as possible. Sounds crazy, right? Well it would make their customers pretty darn happy I would imagine but it's not practical. Neither is giving everyone OBC every time the ship has to divert due to weather or medical.

If a wrench gets thrown in the plans because of another passenger then that stinks. But there's nothing anyone can do about it. Be happy you are cruising and be happy it's not you sick or dead. Oh and if it was, be happy Carnival doesn't send you a bill for all the extra fuel, possible docking fees, and OBC that the rest of the passengers demanded because you were a huge burden to them and ruined their vacation. Get a grip!

Edited by firemanbobswife

Everyone is leaving out the fact that OP said they spent another day in Grand Cayman. I believe they would have given OBC for missing Cozumel if they had not stayed in Grand Cayman for another day. I know it is the same port but Carnival probably had to pay fees to Grand Cayman to be there. So the money they could have refunded was spent on the second day in Grand Cayman.

When I have missed a port and another port is not substituted they have refunded the fees. But in this case Grand Cayman was substituted for Cozumel.

Everyone is leaving out the fact that OP said they spent another day in Grand Cayman. I believe they would have given OBC for missing Cozumel if they had not stayed in Grand Cayman for another day. I know it is the same port but Carnival probably had to pay fees to Grand Cayman to be there. So the money they could have refunded was spent on the second day in Grand Cayman.

When I have missed a port and another port is not substituted they have refunded the fees. But in this case Grand Cayman was substituted for Cozumel.

I realize that fact. But we missed GC before due to the weather and only got back port fees and were totally fine with that. Disappointed? Sure. Entitled to something more because it was do to a situation out of Carnival's control (weather, but it could have just as easily been a sick or dying passenger) absolutely not. Now of the ship had something wrong with it then I could see it. But not in this particular case or many others that come here crying about the same types of things. Toughen up, Buttercups! Things in life happen and sometimes they aren't fair.

I realize that fact. But we missed GC before due to the weather and only got back port fees and were totally fine with that. Disappointed? Sure. Entitled to something more because it was do to a situation out of Carnival's control (weather, but it could have just as easily been a sick or dying passenger) absolutely not. Now of the ship had something wrong with it then I could see it. But not in this particular case or many others that come here crying about the same types of things. Toughen up, Buttercups! Things in life happen and sometimes they aren't fair.

I understand what you are saying. But many people are saying she should of had her fees refunded for not going to Cozumel. My point is money was spent by Carnival to be in Grand Cayman. And according to the contract they can substitute and/or change ports, so she shouldn't expect the fees to be refunded.

Heck I was on one of the cruises that got hit be the Swine Flu. When we left everything was a go. But after a day or 2 we were told we wouldn't be going to Cozumel and they were looking for another port. Ha! Not many ports available that aren't part of Mexico when leaving from Galveston. We did make it to our scheduled stops in Jamaica and Grand Cayman. But by Friday even Mexico had closed its ports and airports. We got a little OBC for the fees and another day at sea. Like you said things in life happen. We still enjoyed our cruise and weren't asking for more compensation.

We also has a cruise on the Dream that was late getting into port because they made an medical emergency stop in Nassau. The captain ran into rough seas coming back so while waiting to board they ship we were given a letter saying that we would not be going to Nassau and no other port would be substituted. We would take a different route to avoid the rough seas. We were to be given an OBC for $1.99 each. My son and I said we would pay $1.99 not to go to Nassau. But there were people complaining about not going. We did get to spend more time in St Thomas then was originally scheduled. We talked to some people from a Royal ship that had gone to Nassau and they said they had a very bumpy ride. I was happy we didn't go to Nassau and happy with what was offered. That captain made the right choice. We had an easy trip to St Thomas and got to be in port there from 7am to 8pm.

Edited by luv2trvlnow

If you'd like to see countries and have no one's pesky death hamper your vacation paid for with money saved over many years then go to EPCOT.

Start in the World Showcase and work your way around. Go counter-clockwise to avoid the crowds.

Sheesh...

Edited by BallFour4

Ok I wasn't going to comment on this but some people know me and know that I can't keep my mouth shut....OP, you have got to be kidding me! Your upset because you saved for cozumel and didn't get to see tulum? Carnival doesn't owe you anything but port fees, YOU on the other hand owe a family who lost a dear loved one a very BIG apology for being selfish! Do you think you are the only person who saves for a cruise and gets disappointed? I think maybe cruising isn't for you at all. To the family of the deceased, I am truly sorry for your loss and may you find comfort in each other.

Thank you.

And than you for coming back and posting again. It is hard to respond as politely as you have when you have been flamed. There are many things we don't know when we first start cruising, and most of us believe what we are told, especially if it is someone in a company uniform.

There was a thread a few years back where someone actually missed their wedding, because they missed the stop at the island where the wedding was to be held. A lot of their guests had flown to the island to join them...

When I'm on a cruise and it misses a port because of a medical emergency (and that has happened too many times) instead of getting mad and demanding compensation I think "What would I want Carnival to do if I was the one who was experiencing the medical emergency?" The answer is simple...

Ok I wasn't going to comment on this but some people know me and know that I can't keep my mouth shut....OP, you have got to be kidding me! Your upset because you saved for cozumel and didn't get to see tulum? Carnival doesn't owe you anything but port fees, YOU on the other hand owe a family who lost a dear loved one a very BIG apology for being selfish! Do you think you are the only person who saves for a cruise and gets disappointed? I think maybe cruising isn't for you at all. To the family of the deceased, I am truly sorry for your loss and may you find comfort in each other.

Don't fall off your pedestal;) ?The OP was asking a question based on what she heard and what she's read. Not everyone is a seasoned cruiser. :eek:

did you even read the whole thread before you posted? The OP has already responded and thanked posters for there comments in a much classier method than you just used.

First I do not understand how not willing to fly the deceased and their family home prevented Carnival from going to Cozumel. What most likely prevented them from going to Cozumel was the 5 hours spent returning to Grand Cayman and then the 5 hours to return back to where they were when they turned around. 10 hours lost. Just not enough time to get to Cozumel.

Also Carnival had to pay something to Grand Cayman to spend another day there. It may have even been more than what they were paying to Cozumel. Maybe they should have charged everyone extra if it cost them more. But they didn't.

That other incident you mentioned I believe was about the Liberty. They had to skip a port and returned early to Galveston for repairs. That was Carnival's responsibility. Not even close to the same circumstances as this.

Since GC is a tender port, maybe, all Carnival had to do was line up tenders. COMPENSATION, other than refund port charges IMO no.

I don't mean to sound callous

You failed horribly in this. Sorry but they don't owe you anything other then your excursions. Life happens and sometimes that gets in the way of your plans. Suck it up.