Tracy's Arm 2016

shutuph

Does the small boat go in or does it go to another area. Is it worth the small boat excursion

We went to Endicott Arm instead. This was before Princess started the small boat trips.

Has any ship made it into Tracy's arm this year? I noticed a few post say they were unable to enter. Sailing beginning July....can you usually enter by then?
I saw the Ruby Princess (or was it the Maasdam) go in about 2 or 3 weeks ago for 17 miles on marinetraffic.com . There's another 31 miles to see Sawyer.

After the 17 miles.... quick U-turn for Endicott for glacier viewing.

I saw the Ruby Princess (or was it the Maasdam) go in about 2 or 3 weeks ago for 17 miles on marinetraffic.com . There's another 31 miles to see Sawyer.

After the 17 miles.... quick U-turn for Endicott for glacier viewing.

Tracy Arm is 30 miles to either glacier from the entrance, at Holkham Bay via Stephens Passage. Your information is wrong. You do NOT "turn" from in Tracy Arm, to Endicott Arm. Both enter from Holkham Bay, with both a little over 30 miles long. Endicott Arm, is a wider and straighter Arm.

Tracy Arm is 30 miles to either glacier from the entrance, at Holkham Bay via Stephens Passage. Your information is wrong. You do NOT "turn" from in Tracy Arm, to Endicott Arm. Both enter from Holkham Bay, with both a little over 30 miles long. Endicott Arm, is a wider and straighter Arm.

Right. What xlxo is saying is the Ruby Princess went half-way into Tracy Arm, thought better of it, retreated out of Tracy Arm, and went to Dawes Glacier in Endicott Arm instead.

On ships where the small boat meet up with the ship along the way, the small boat will go to the same fjord as the ship.

Now for places like Adventure Bound and Allen Marine they might be able to get into Tracy Arm. But these tours operate RT out of Juneau.

June 14-21st on the Carnival Legend...

we did Endicott instead, it was fabulous! We arrived there in a complete fog... we were so disappointed, then all of a sudden the fog lifted and the ship went in. We took the small boat excursion and it was FANTASTIC. Highly recommend it.

here is my video:

On ships where the small boat meet up with the ship along the way, the small boat will go to the same fjord as the ship.

Now for places like Adventure Bound and Allen Marine they might be able to get into Tracy Arm. But these tours operate RT out of Juneau.

I sailed Tracy Arm, 3rd week of May with Adventure Bound and it was PACKED with ice. Reminded of a trip to Columbia Glacier. Multistory sizes, so true "ice bergs". :) Just magnificent.

Right. What xlxo is saying is the Ruby Princess went half-way into Tracy Arm, thought better of it, retreated out of Tracy Arm, and went to Dawes Glacier in Endicott Arm instead.

It makes no sense to me, with the 17 and 31 mile reference???

I sailed Tracy Arm, 3rd week of May with Adventure Bound and it was PACKED with ice. Reminded of a trip to Columbia Glacier. Multistory sizes, so true "ice bergs". :) Just magnificent.

My first time with them - it was that way also. Unfortunately due to time, we could not get to the glacier but it was an amazing day. No regrets about going as that was still one of my favorite days.

My first time with them - it was that way also. Unfortunately due to time, we could not get to the glacier but it was an amazing day. No regrets about going as that was still one of my favorite days.

The ice was actually packed for the entire 30 miles, but we did get a lot of time at the North Sawyer Glacier. I'll mention again- TIME is so important, and with this vendor you have the most opportunity for great trips no matter what the conditions.

It's so spectacular when there is ice around and you're on a small boat, nothing like being on the cruise ship. Captain Steve sure has a job with a view :) One of my favorite excursions anywhere.

June 14-21st on the Carnival Legend...

we did Endicott instead, it was fabulous! We arrived there in a complete fog... we were so disappointed, then all of a sudden the fog lifted and the ship went in. We took the small boat excursion and it was FANTASTIC. Highly recommend it.

That is great!! Thanks so much for sharing it. Gives us an idea on what we'll need for clothing too! ;) Getting excited now!!

I just got off the Legend this week. We did not make it into Tracy Arm. We went to Endicott Arm instead. They say this year is very unusual. Several huge ice burgs are continuously breaking off the glacier causing too much congestion to enter, but Endicott Arm is beautiful, so don't be disappointed if you end up going there. Our day was gorgeous, complete sunshine for the entire day! We did the small boat excursion, and I would pay the money to do it again. It was very much worth it.

I just got off the Legend this week. We did not make it into Tracy Arm. We went to Endicott Arm instead. They say this year is very unusual. Several huge ice burgs are continuously breaking off the glacier causing too much congestion to enter, but Endicott Arm is beautiful, so don't be disappointed if you end up going there. Our day was gorgeous, complete sunshine for the entire day! We did the small boat excursion, and I would pay the money to do it again. It was very much worth it.

thanks for the reply!

I think every year is unusual in Alaska. I have missed Tracy Arm 2x during 4th of July cruises due to ice. This is by no means the first time when ships don't go this late.

Sometimes on a ship they make it sound like "this is unusual" or "this is the closest we have ever been". I have no doubt they said this.

Edited by Coral

It makes no sense to me, with the 17 and 31 mile reference???
Tracy Arm is 31 miles long, with the Sawyer Glacier at the end and Holkham Bay at the beginning.

The ship was able to travel 17 miles in Tracy Arm before turning back to Holkham and going to Endicott instead. This happened in late May. Depending on conditions.... ice congestion can improve or get worse day to day.

Best for us to regularly watch marinetraffic to see how far the ships into Tracy Arm in the coming weeks. You can even watch the small boat excursion to see how much further they go.

Edited by xlxo

Best for us to regularly watch marinetraffic to see how far the ships into Tracy Arm in the coming weeks. You can even watch the small boat excursion to see how much further they go.

My wife thinks I'm weird to watch marinetraffic.com, but I think it's fun!

Glad to have someone else in the club. Weirdos unite!

I think every year is unusual in Alaska. I have missed Tracy Arm 2x during 4th of July cruises due to ice. This is by no means the first time when ships don't go this late.

Sometimes on a ship they make it sound like "this is unusual" or "this is the closest we have ever been". I have no doubt they said this.

True! It's right up there with "You guys are the best crowd we've had all tour" and "No, that dress doesn't make you look fat." :D

True! It's right up there with "You guys are the best crowd we've had all tour" and "No, that dress doesn't make you look fat." :D

Did anyone happen to see yesterday for Carnival legend?