Rough waters?

Yes, no, maybe. ;)

The Tasman Sea is hard to predict. Sometimes it can be calm, other times it can be rough. It's just the luck of the draw.

Bring seasickness remedies just in case.

I did it on the Diamond Princess in December one year and it was as calm as could be, which was completely unexpected... but on that same cruise I passed my parents at sea (they were onboard the Celebrity Millenium going in the opposite direction) and their trip across was pretty rough. We were only a couple of days apart doing the crossing...

Is that time of year more likely to have bad storms?

It is our summer and storms are typically more frequent at that time, but, in saying that, Tasmania is the second driest capital city in Aus, so it experiences less rain than the northern mainland states. It is also cooler and doesn't suffer the tropical storms we tend to get in summer in Queensland.

It is really impossible to predict... maybe do some research on http://www.oceanweather.com and you can see what the seas look like. I'm sure an NZ local will chime in with some more info for you :).

Is that time of year more likely to have bad storms?

With the Tasman it really depends on what comes up from the south. Often the weather is more settled in February, unless a cyclone blows though from the South Pacific. I find this website very useful for seeing what happens between NZ and Australia.

http://www.metservice.com/maps-radar/marine-forecast-maps/significant-wave-height

Click on the arrow to the left of the date and it will cycle though the predictions.

Although it only shows a week or so into the future from the current date it does give you a good idea of how the seas can change over a short period.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

With the Tasman it really depends on what comes up from the south. Often the weather is more settled in February, unless a cyclone blows though from the South Pacific. I find this website very useful for seeing what happens between NZ and Australia.

http://www.metservice.com/maps-radar/marine-forecast-maps/significant-wave-height

Click on the arrow to the left of the date and it will cycle though the predictions.

Although it only shows a week or so into the future from the current date it does give you a good idea of how the seas can change over a short period.

Thats true and that is the predominant weather pattern, however in the late summer season Tropical Cyclones can slip down from the North or over from Queensland bringing NE winds and wild seas that cause havoc.:eek:

Bass Strait , between Australia and Tasmania , can also give you a wild ride at times

Thats true and that is the predominant weather pattern, however in the late summer season Tropical Cyclones can slip down from the North or over from Queensland bringing NE winds and wild seas that cause havoc.:eek:

Bass Strait , between Australia and Tasmania , can also give you a wild ride at times

Now ain't that the truth.

I'm actually hoping it's a bit rough in February to see how a true Ocean Liner handles it.