Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

Why?

Well, we booked this cruise in Feb 2015, way before all these changes/increases were taken. DH and I have many, many cruises under our belts, but this is the first (and apparently last) NCL cruise. We are not happy for the same reasons so many others are not happy about either.

The ban on bottled water did it for us since I cannot drink the ship's water nor am I able to drink just any bottled water for medical reasons. I emailed Mr. Stuart and received a call back from a lady at NCL and I was told I can buy bottled water once I board. That didn't address my issue at all. :(

So, now my issue is to figure out what to drink for 7 days. :(

Some one else who received a call was told that if they needed something special to request it and NCL will try to order it. Being that they sell water on board, you would probably need a note from your doctor explaining why you can only drink certain brands of water. At least give it a try.

Well, we booked this cruise in Feb 2015, way before all these changes/increases were taken. DH and I have many, many cruises under our belts, but this is the first (and apparently last) NCL cruise. We are not happy for the same reasons so many others are not happy about either.

The ban on bottled water did it for us since I cannot drink the ship's water nor am I able to drink just any bottled water for medical reasons. I emailed Mr. Stuart and received a call back from a lady at NCL and I was told I can buy bottled water once I board. That didn't address my issue at all. :(

I think they will end up lowering the price of the bottled water. I hope they will anyway. It really is way overpriced.

Some one else who received a call was told that if they needed something special to request it and NCL will try to order it. Being that they sell water on board, you would probably need a note from your doctor explaining why you can only drink certain brands of water. At least give it a try.

I think I read that somewhere (probably on here :)), so I think I will try that. All they can do is say no, but if they say yes, then problem solved! :)

Just checked my Royal reservation.

First of all, all of their drink packages do NOT include water.

Unless you are considering Princess or Carnival you will pay a lot for bottled water.

RC Includes water in their Ultimate and Premium packages.

Celebrity offers bottled water in both their beverage packages.

Princess in their All-Inclusive Beverage Package

Carnival Vitamin Water, Coconut Water and Honest Tea, 500ml bottles of water served in bars and lounges, and Large format (1 liter and 1.5-liter) bottles of water in the main dining rooms and specialty restaurants in their Cheers program.

The cost of the above is a lot cheaper than NCL's UBP

NCL DOESN"T include water!

I think they will end up lowering the price of the bottled water. I hope they will anyway. It really is way overpriced.
But that won't help her situation, as her medical condition only allows her to drink certain brands and I'm guessing that is not what NCL sells. But, I right there with you, they really need to lower the price of water.

Jennmaybe, make sure you have a note from your doctor, because if you don't, I seriously doubt if they will purchase something different for you.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Unless they sell Nestle, then it would still be a problem.

Edited by jennmaybe

No big deal for me, as I have one diet soda with dinner, sometimes two.

I have no problem drinking the ship water, and bottled water is a scourge on the environment that nobody should be drinking anyway.

And their first tier package does not.

Nice editing!

You with AP?

First of all, all of their drink packages do NOT include water.

If you meant some of their drink packages do not include water , you should have written ,

First of all, all SOME of their drink packages do NOT include water.

Do you understand ? Sorry if I misunderstood your poor syntax .

If I recall, did you not state in a previous post that the Nestle bottled water was the only kind you could drink because it does not have the added sodium that other bottled waters have? If this is the case, then it was also previously reported during this thread that a doctor's note would enable you to bring it on board for your consumption. Now, all you would need to do is find a drug store or supermarket near your port of embarkation where you could purchase it. :)

Our early 30s DS and his wife were bored on the MSC Divina. Beautiful ship and they got a good price, but boring cruise for them. They are coming back to NCL. Of course they weren't in the Yacht Club....

I think the MSC Seaside will have more options available for the children, teens and young adults to keep them from being bored. It is the first MSC ship purpose built for the U.S. market, so it is more geared towards what American's are looking for.

RC Includes water in their Ultimate and Premium packages.

Celebrity offers bottled water in both their beverage packages.

Princess in their All-Inclusive Beverage Package

Carnival Vitamin Water' date=' Coconut Water and Honest Tea, 500ml bottles of water served in bars and lounges, and Large format (1 liter and 1.5-liter) bottles of water in the main dining rooms and specialty restaurants in their Cheers program.

The cost of the above is a lot cheaper than NCL's UBP

NCL DOESN"T include water![/quote']

I understand. But blanket statements are being made here that are untrue. If there is a fight to be had you have to know the facts and all of them.

If you meant some of their drink packages do not include water , you should have written ,

First of all, all SOME of their drink packages do NOT include water.

Do you understand ? Sorry if I misunderstood your poor syntax .

I love the ignore button!

How about banning passengers from bringing prescription medications on board! Any passengers needing a prescription must go to the infirmary and have the ship's doctor prescribe it for the duration of the cruise.

This is also a security issue because some nefarious passengers could sell their excess prescription medications to other vulnerable passengers.

This could also represent an additional revenue stream for NCL.

<<Sarcasm off>>

I understand. But blanket statements are being made here that are untrue. If there is a fight to be had you have to know the facts and all of them.

While some other statements are rightfully true.

Fact

NCL's "Ultimate Beverage Package" costs $79 per person, per day, plus 18-percent gratuity is added to your package price it's one of the most expensive package on a cruise ship.

Fact

NCL package includes everything except water, premium brands, and freshly squeezed juice, canned soda.

Fact

If parents purchase a beverage package kids two and up, must buy the soda package. :eek: Who gives a 2 yr old soda???

EggZachary!!!!

While some other statements are rightfully true.

Fact

NCL's "Ultimate Beverage Package" costs $79 per person' date=' per day, plus 18-percent gratuity is added to your package price it's one of the most expensive package on a cruise ship.

Fact

NCL package includes everything except water, premium brands, and freshly squeezed juice, canned soda.

Fact

If parents purchase a beverage package kids two and up, must buy the soda package. :eek: Who gives a 2 yr old soda???[/quote']

That 18% is a freakin' joke! What ever happened with the $1.00 tip per drink? And the charge slip has the nerve to list a line for an "Additional Tip." Are you kidden me? Lol. If the bartenders were on the ball, prompt, and made really good drinks, "Maybe" an additional tip is deserved. Being a former bartender for many years, I've not yet seen one bartender on a cruise ship worth my while.. They all suck and are super slow!

Funny! LOL And of course for our convenience an 18% gratuity. Iggledoer you forgot that!

I've sailed NCL twice now, and I really didn't notice many people carrying on water and soda. Clearly people here on CC are not happy, but I'm wondering how many this decision will actually affect?

I have seen many families carry on cases of water and usually seen them carry off 1/2 case of unused water. I am not a soda drink and my family drinks a small amount. Early in my cruising years, I have only brought on a 6 pack of soda at most. I think most people carried a small amount of soda in carryon bags and had the option of purchasing soda at many ports to bring on ship from grocery stores. I will miss my 6 pack of ginger beer in the Bahamas($4 in grocery store) of $1 a can.

I do understand why folks are upset. Choice is being taken away and so suddenly. Not all bottled water taste the same- I agree with this. Fresh lemon or lime in water, helps and the ship has plenty of it. I have carried a reusable bottle for years and budget in the soda/ sparkling water that I may consume over the cruise- which is not much (less than $30 for 3 of us)- I am not brand particular. For those that think the water has salt, I won't speculate. The swelling that you get on a ship is from the food(all food has added salt for taste- ask any chef).

This will make the great "fee for room service" collective fit seem like nothing.

This was not a great decision PR - wise.

Wow, NCL - bad move.

"

While we mostly sail Royal we do sail NCL now and then. We're Gold over there and will never see Platinum because we won't be back. Not a threat....BYE BYE NCL

PS, we only bring a twelve pack of half liter water with us for ports. Yes, because of this.