Cruise to Tasmania then onto NZ South Island

Hi all,

Will be doing this B2B cruise on the above dates but so far there has been little response to say a Roll Call or Meet & Greet. If you are thinking of going or really are going, drop me a reply and we can start up a List of all passengers with the intention of getting together, meeting one another. Remember there are two cruises I am talking about . . . one to Tasmania on the 2nd January and then one to NZ South Island on the 10th January.

Hope to hear from you.

Sailaway John

John & Eileen

Hi all,

Will be doing this B2B cruise on the above dates but so far there has been little response to say a Roll Call or Meet & Greet. If you are thinking of going or really are going, drop me a reply and we can start up a List of all passengers with the intention of getting together, meeting one another. Remember there are two cruises I am talking about . . . one to Tasmania on the 2nd January and then one to NZ South Island on the 10th January.

Hope to hear from you.

Sailaway John

John & Eileen

I wish you luck with your cruise and getting a M&G happening.

CC is not that popular in Australia as yet and in addition local cruises tend to be neglected as most people already know the ports.

Reminds me of a saying. You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make them drink.:D

As an example the Pacific Aria has over 50 cruises coming up and there is 4 rollcalls. Of these, only one has posts in the double digits and it is well over a year old. Trust me the ship will be full or close to it, it just doesn't attract people to join a roll call.

I wish you luck with your cruise and getting a M&G happening.

CC is not that popular in Australia as yet and in addition local cruises tend to be neglected as most people already know the ports.

Reminds me of a saying. You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make them drink.:D

Agree. Roll call threads seem to attract more lookers than takers.

I think that roll calls for cruises that are to ports that are not in this region tend to be more active for Australian posters. People seem to be more interested in arranging shore tours etc on those. It also depends on the length of the cruise - for a short one, not too many people seem to be keen on going to a M&G as there are lots of other activities to do. Personally I look at the roll call for a cruise I am taking (lurker) and may post a comment or two but really don't get involved much unless I am looking at excursions. Certainly for domestic cruises I don't think I would bother at all and prefer to do my own thing. Even on a long cruise I would not be interested in some of the activities that some roll calls have, like slot pulls, trivia, cabin crawls etc. Maybe I just don't like group stuff, reminds me a bit of 'good morning, happy campers' and that's not me.

Edited by Aussieflyer

I think that roll calls for cruises that are to ports that are not in this region tend to be more active for Australian posters. People seem to be more interested in arranging shore tours etc on those. It also depends on the length of the cruise - for a short one, not too many people seem to be keen on going to a M&G as there are lots of other activities to do. Personally I look at the roll call for a cruise I am taking (lurker) and may post a comment or two but really don't get involved much unless I am looking at excursions. Certainly for domestic cruises I don't think I would bother at all and prefer to do my own thing. Even on a long cruise I would not be interested in some of the activities that some roll calls have, like slot pulls, trivia, cabin crawls etc. Maybe I just don't like group stuff, reminds me a bit of 'good morning, happy campers' and that's not me.

I agree, that a lot of people feel the same. I am interested in Cabin crawls but only on ships I haven't been on before. Slot pulls can be fun but it tends to conflict with other events. Long cruises do get more takers than the shorter ones and foreign ports also attract more takers than local ports.

I agree, that a lot of people feel the same. I am interested in Cabin crawls but only on ships I haven't been on before. Slot pulls can be fun but it tends to conflict with other events. Long cruises do get more takers than the shorter ones and foreign ports also attract more takers than local ports.

It also depends on who you're traveling with. I cruised on the Norwegian Jade in the Med and I was conscious of getting to know some other people because my son was still quite young. It is different now because he's nearly 17 so is good company (sometimes :rolleyes:). If you're travelling in a couple or with a family group you may not feel like you need to mingle with others - and I always seem to notice lots of family groups on Aus cruises.

I organised the M&G on that NCL cruise and we had over 200 people there. It was awesome fun! I enjoyed that because heaps of people on the ship knew me so I had people to chat to wherever I went. I met many friends from around the world on that cruise who I am still friends with today.

Edited by mum and son

Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes, I have organised Roll Calls and Meet & Greet or Meet & Mingles on a few cruises now but as you say this call is very quite. Could be just as the posts say . . . people on these short cruises just want to do their own thing. OH well! Thanks again for your comments.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes, I have organised Roll Calls and Meet & Greet or Meet & Mingles on a few cruises now but as you say this call is very quite. Could be just as the posts say . . . people on these short cruises just want to do their own thing. OH well! Thanks again for your comments.

Enjoy your cruise and I am absolutely sure you will meet people regardless of having a meet and Greet or not.

FWIW,we find roll calls a bit intimidating and clique.But on the other side of the coin valuable as well.

Roll calls seem to lock you in to a certain group of people.

We just seem to do our own thing,and meet great people.

Sort of like roll calls are wow you are my new best friend,that is until I,You,really get to know Me,you and it may not work.

Then the fracturing starts within the group,and well the lest said the better.

Not our scene,but who knows we are making a decision on that one at the moment:):)

Probably just us, but I don't mind a m&g, but unless I like someone that'll probably be the only time we spend with them. But to be frank Mrs G and I are happy with our own company, last cruise there were two couples we spent a bit of time with and sort of keep in touch with, but I think in part that was because we were all bits of loaners and knew none were going to try and become clingy types.

Whether at a M&G or not, we usually meet a few people who just click and seem to have the same interests for the cruise. You may end up having a dinner or two with them and sometimes you exchange further details for contact after the cruise. The m&g may or may not have helped facilitated this meeting but mingling with others still needs to happen.

Have also read some horrifying posts about tours being organised with people one dosent even know.

Better a clean slate,no expectation,and the ability to retire back into ones own world without the pressure of Oh Wow wasent that wonderful see you at the show tonight,or lets meet for breakfast

Um no sorry.:):)

And it never ceases to amazeme how many cpls,spend so little time together.ODD,but then maybe we are Odd.We like to spend time together.:):)

Have also read some horrifying posts about tours being organised with people one dosent even know.

Better a clean slate,no expectation,and the ability to retire back into ones own world without the pressure of Oh Wow wasent that wonderful see you at the show tonight,or lets meet for breakfast

And it never ceases to amazeme how many cpls,spend so little time together.ODD,but then maybe we are Odd.We like to spend time together.:):)

We have signed up with people on a roll call and have also had people sign up with us. So far none have turned out bad due to the people, some of the tours haven't quite been what was suggested (on the roll call, more like a taxi rather than a guided tour) but have still turned out fine. Everyone has differing tastes and risks.

FWIW,we find roll calls a bit intimidating and clique.But on the other side of the coin valuable as well.

Roll calls seem to lock you in to a certain group of people.

We just seem to do our own thing,and meet great people.

Sort of like roll calls are wow you are my new best friend,that is until I,You,really get to know Me,you and it may not work.

Then the fracturing starts within the group,and well the lest said the better.

Not our scene,but who knows we are making a decision on that one at the moment:):)

You are so right! it's hard to break into some roll calls even if you want to, because sometimes there's a lot of inside jokes and stuff going on from before you arrived. The NCL cruise I mentioned earlier is the only M&G I've ever been to... I have tried to get involved other times but I just didn't click with anyone.

I was fairly involved in a Celebrity roll call a few years ago but one woman just became overbearing. Every time someone would post ideas about a day tour she would tell them what was wrong with their plans. I couldn't stand it so I just faded away.

The OP of this thread, Sailaway John, is stuck with me on the roll call for both cruises of his B2B :eek:... no wonder he is looking for new members!!!!!!!

Edited by mum and son

Not always bad. ;)

We went to NZ just before Christmas, spent a few days in Auckland catching up with friends and family before cruising back to Sydney. I decided I wanted to go to Hobbiton and, as we had friends we wanted to catch up with in Tauranga we didn't want to go from there, so we decided to drive down from Auckland. Since we had two spare seats in the car I posted on our roll call in case anyone was interested. We met two wonderful ladies from Canada as a result and enjoyed their company onboard occasionally, but not so much that we were always hanging out with them.

Ok Libby, we will put our hands up as we are going on the 2 Jan Tas cruise as well :) Not the whole way but at least the first part of your voyage.

Good on you, I have always found this events to be beneficial just make sure you say hello to a few people. If you just sit there, you may end up lonely.;)

Ok Libby, we will put our hands up as we are going on the 2 Jan Tas cruise as well :) Not the whole way but at least the first part of your voyage.

Way to go Womble! Welcome aboard. Sailaway John will be thrilled to know I'm not the only other person onboard :D.

Get yourself over to our minuscule roll call and say hello!

I think Mics comment on risk is very valuable.Not physical risk but mental risk.

Insecurities and anxiety play a major role,in how one feels about acceptance levels about themselves.And that plays out for everybody.

If one suffers from huge anxiety,the problem can be easily exasperated,by a simple huge step of exposing oneself to a roll call for example.

Just a thought.:):)

I think Mics comment on risk is very valuable.Not physical risk but mental risk.

Insecurities and anxiety play a major role,in how one feels about acceptance levels about themselves.And that plays out for everybody.

If one suffers from huge anxiety,the problem can be easily exasperated,by a simple huge step of exposing oneself to a roll call for example.

Hit the nail on the head mrs and mrs, one of the reason we don't actively join roll calls. We have met some great people through cc but lots of new people isn't always a lot of fun for us.

Our experiences with Roll Calls/M&M's have been varied, both in whether there were active ones or not, and also from the people we have met.

Made contacts for trivia & excusions

Did meet a couple from Canberra on one cruise named Mic and Rosie, who seemed ok :D

You can reveal as much or as little as you want on a roll call. Sometimes just a simple "Hi, we're X & Y and we're looking forward to the cruise" is enough. You don't have to connect with anyone nor reveal any more info about yourself.