Dress Code in LeMuse

susanrobert

I know I am coming in late on this conversation but just disemarked yesterday :-)

I can verify that anyone (except a young child or toddler) wearing shorts at dinner at Le Muse was turned away at the door.

I saw it happen a few times.

Enjoy your cruise!!

WHAT?? This is terrible. Jacquimo was probably the best MaitreDe I've ever experienced and my absolute favorite part of dining in LeMuse. Seems a waste to put him in the buffet. Did Daniel take over for him?

I totally agree....He should be the face for Le Muse! He is amazing! Now they have a young woman who was friendly....professional? Umm...she was reaming our waiter up one side and down the other right by our table. The poor guy had our table of 6 and another large table along with a few others...someone complained about it being slow...we thought he was amazing and will ask for him when we cruise in August so warranted or not...should never call someone out in public is my view! But I cannot imagine every complaining about this waiters service!

I want Jacuimo back! He stated they need to train other people....(sigh)

We saw a LOT of new faces! Especially in the dining room.

I can verify that anyone (except a young child or toddler) wearing shorts at dinner at Le Muse was turned away at the door.

Yes confirming that - our 4 yr old wore shorts to dinner every night, but always had a dressy shirt, usually a guayabera. The shorts thing? Well, it was a dual-parent omission and not by design - I thought she had 'em, she thought I had 'em.

I did ask about it on embarkation day because we were prepared to make a dash to a walmart if needed - Giacomo said not to worry.

Yes confirming that - our 4 yr old wore shorts to dinner every night, but always had a dressy shirt, usually a guayabera. The shorts thing? Well, it was a dual-parent omission and not by design - I thought she had 'em, she thought I had 'em.

I did ask about it on embarkation day because we were prepared to make a dash to a walmart if needed - Giacomo said not to worry.

Thanks for the info!! I hope you enjoyed your cruise!! :)

• 4 weeks later...

I've just returned and can say that shorts were definitely allowed ANY night in Le Muse. I had my kids all dressed up as they watched another family enter on the first formal night in shorts. My kids were happy to dress up for formal night, but after seeing that, it was shorts for them the rest of the cruise! On the second formal night I looked around and my husband was one of the only ones in a suit. I saw a lot of jeans and t-shirts.

Like the previous poster said, it's all up to the Maitre d'. She was working really hard to please everyone.

We also ate at Eataly and Galaxy, both allowed shorts.

Our Butler had told us shorts were only allowed the first night so it must be something new. Also, it may have only been for kids. I did not see any adults in shorts but I wasn't looking either. My kids are 15 and 13.

I've just returned and can say that shorts were definitely allowed ANY night in Le Muse. I had my kids all dressed up as they watched another family enter on the first formal night in shorts. My kids were happy to dress up for formal night, but after seeing that, it was shorts for them the rest of the cruise! On the second formal night I looked around and my husband was one of the only ones in a suit. I saw a lot of jeans and t-shirts.

Like the previous poster said, it's all up to the Maitre d'. She was working really hard to please everyone.

We also ate at Eataly and Galaxy, both allowed shorts.

Our Butler had told us shorts were only allowed the first night so it must be something new. Also, it may have only been for kids. I did not see any adults in shorts but I wasn't looking either. My kids are 15 and 13.

Most cruiselines will allow shorts the 1st night as some passengers receive their luggage late or not at all. I also share with others that we are not happy not having Giacomo as our Maitre D, he was wonderful & made everyone feel special.

Edited by boca7
mispelled name

Having been in the YC on Divina 9 times, I can advise you that MOST people dress up every night for dinner in Le Muse. It is a pretty high-class restaurant. Shorts are very much allowed for breakfast and lunch, but for dinner, the majority of folks dressed up. I've only seen shorts on men, women, or older teens once or twice total at dinner. I do suggest bringing long pants for him and talking to the Maitre D when you arrive to see what their preferences are. Perhaps they are relaxing the rules and will allow dress shorts. As for Jacomo...the BEST! LOVED him! Sorry to hear he is gone. We will be cruising once again in November so it will be interesting to see who is there after the dry dock.

Having been in the YC on Divina 9 times, I can advise you that MOST people dress up every night for dinner in Le Muse. It is a pretty high-class restaurant. Shorts are very much allowed for breakfast and lunch, but for dinner, the majority of folks dressed up. I've only seen shorts on men, women, or older teens once or twice total at dinner. I do suggest bringing long pants for him and talking to the Maitre D when you arrive to see what their preferences are. Perhaps they are relaxing the rules and will allow dress shorts. As for Jacomo...the BEST! LOVED him! Sorry to hear he is gone. We will be cruising once again in November so it will be interesting to see who is there after the dry dock.

We just returned and I did bring pants for my son but after seeing other kids in shorts on the first formal night he only wore pants 2 more times the entire cruise (2 formal nights and one other night).

Maybe it was just our sailing, but there just wasn't a dressed up vibe in there. There were some people dressed to the nines on formal night but most were business casual. The 2nd formal night my husband was one of the only men in there with a suit on. Even the ladies seemed more casual than I'm used to seeing. On a couple of nights I felt over dressed. Based on what I've read here I was expecting it to be more elegant than it was.

All that being said, "white night" was another story. A lot of people took part. More than I've seen on other lines. Loved seeing all the white attire. I personally don't own any because it would only take me a fraction of a second to spill something on it!

Also, as stated before here, Le Muse is in a terrible location. My husband thinks they should move it to where Galaxy is and take over the restaurant and disco. Move Galaxy (probably have to re-name it) to where Le Muse is. When we went to Galaxy it was almost empty and so is the disco. Le Muse on the other hand was rather packed in. JMHO

We just returned and I did bring pants for my son but after seeing other kids in shorts on the first formal night he only wore pants 2 more times the entire cruise (2 formal nights and one other night).

Maybe it was just our sailing, but there just wasn't a dressed up vibe in there. There were some people dressed to the nines on formal night but most were business casual. The 2nd formal night my husband was one of the only men in there with a suit on. Even the ladies seemed more casual than I'm used to seeing. On a couple of nights I felt over dressed. Based on what I've read here I was expecting it to be more elegant than it was.

All that being said, "white night" was another story. A lot of people took part. More than I've seen on other lines. Loved seeing all the white attire. I personally don't own any because it would only take me a fraction of a second to spill something on it!

Also, as stated before here, Le Muse is in a terrible location. My husband thinks they should move it to where Galaxy is and take over the restaurant and disco. Move Galaxy (probably have to re-name it) to where Le Muse is. When we went to Galaxy it was almost empty and so is the disco. Le Muse on the other hand was rather packed in. JMHO

I totally and 100% agree with your husband! I think Galaxy would be a perfect place for Le Muse. I've heard there will be a lot of enhancements/improvements done during the dry dock. I'm glad it worked out for your son! :)

I totally and 100% agree with your husband! I think Galaxy would be a perfect place for Le Muse. I've heard there will be a lot of enhancements/improvements done during the dry dock. I'm glad it worked out for your son! :)

Plus the view from Galaxy is amazing. The view from Le Muse...not so much. Especially when a rather "sturdy" older woman decides that leaning against the window is the perfect place to change into her bathing suit. :eek:

I agree with the sentiments expressed here re the YC dining room. I usually pull the blinds when dining at a window table, which I'd rather not do. I'd prefer to have a nice view of outside which is just not possible with the infinity pool. Some of the poses on show while sunbathing would put you off eating! :eek:

It's unlikely that Galaxy will become Le Muse due to the disco being in situ. My experience has been that the disco gets really crowded late at night so, as long as that's the case, MSC is not going to get rid of it. And it can't be moved to Le Muse as it wouldn't be suitable.

Re the discussion about the dress code. I've found that it depends on the demographics onboard whether there will be more casual or more 'dressed-up' - it varies from week to week. I've been on cruises on the same ship with the same itinerary a few weeks apart and had totally different experiences which makes for difficult decisions when packing! I find with Med cruises, in particular, MSC will run promotions in a particular country for certain sailings which leads to there being a dominant number from that country which influences the vibe.

Goldenbonny,

Thanks so much for the unsolicited parenting advise. I'll bet my son is better mannered than most people on board.

Here's a tip for you: Most people on this board are looking for helpful information. Some like myself, don't post too much out of fear of people like you. I was just looking for some helpful information. Please consider the situation before insulting someone's parenting skills, etc.

Thanks to all who provide some very helpful information!!

I agree, goldenboy is out of line. You have been vey patient with the nast remarks. I am sure your young child will be allowed with shorts. Personally I respect the dress code & for my self esteem would never go to a dinner at home or especially in a formal d/r in appropriate attire.

We just disembarked this morning (i'll be posting a review once I get the unpacking under control)...

My hubby was one of those guys who was turned away due to his "knees showing" - on white night. We wanted to get festive and join in on the fun of White Night BUT the only outfit he had that was all white was white dress shorts and a white short-sleeve button down shirt. How could they turn him away especially looking so dapper? Well...he was turned away by the young lady who is more of a gate-keeper at the entrance each evening (she's blonde - never caught her name).

Leilianna (sp?) the maitre D, quickly swooped in and saved us from heading WAY back to the YC to change. She was swift and just wanted to please us as she knew we were upset and a bit dumbfounded. I thought she was VERY good.

My 11-year-old son wore shorts the first and last night- usually with a nice button down. He wore a suit on the first formal night - but truly only because he enjoys it!!

In a world where casual is taking on a whole new meaning - it's truly nice to get dressed for dinner. I enjoyed it very much!!

The only issue we really had at Le Muse was the small children/toddlers and babies who were "dining" with their parents at 8:30 and 9:00PM....very fussy (as a baby should be if not in their cribs by 7:00 or 8:00). One small toddler cried every night in her high chair - I felt so badly for her - she quieted down only after she passed out of exhaustion. :(

I could tell the Le Muse staff were a bit uncomfortable as they sensed the other diners were feeling a bit put off - these weren't quiet cries - but rather loud, constant crying (the type that would have be pick up my child and leave the restaurant immediately as to not bother the diners who were not expecting babies in a fine dining restaurant).

Actually - there was one more young boy who had the worst hacking cough - like the entire meal - and his parents didn't pick themselves up and their obviously sick child and head back to the room to not bother or freak out the other diners. We dubbed him "hacking cough boy"...

Other than those two examples...the children in the yacht club were quite well behaved....and well (and appropriately) dressed. We were told several times that shorts on children every night was totally exceptable - just not on adult men.

Sorry for the long reply - having just disembarked today - I've got fresh memories swirling in my head!!

The first formal night was night #2 and I would say most folks were dressed to impress. Gentlemen were in suits - ladies were in either a gown/maxi dress or cocktail-type dress. There were a few "offenders" in my opinion - but no shorts on "gala" night.

The second formal night was #6 - I think folks were getting "sun and fun" weary - and I definitely saw less suits and way less gowns.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The first formal night was night #2 and I would say most folks were dressed to impress. Gentlemen were in suits - ladies were in either a gown/maxi dress or cocktail-type dress. There were a few "offenders" in my opinion - but no shorts on "gala" night.

The second formal night was #6 - I think folks were getting "sun and fun" weary - and I definitely saw less suits and way less gowns.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I was on the sailing before Mimimama2004 and saw mostly the same. First formal night I only saw a couple of kids (teens) in shorts. Second formal night was MUCH more casual. I was expecting it to be dressier, based on a comment I got when I started this thread. However, as others have said, it could vary sailing to sailing.

I do remember the blonde "gate keeper" as well. She was at the door with a clip board. I'm assuming she was making sure everyone belonged. Lilliana(sp) however, was in charge. She seemed to know everyone's name and where to seat them. She was constantly running around working really hard to make everyone happy.

Edited by susanrobert

I was on the sailing before Mimimama2004 and saw mostly the same. First formal night I only saw a couple of kids (teens) in shorts. Second formal night was MUCH more casual. I was expecting it to be dressier, based on a comment I got when I started this thread. However, as others have said, it could vary sailing to sailing.

I do remember the blonde "gate keeper" as well. She was at the door with a clip board. I'm assuming she was making sure everyone belonged. Lilliana(sp) however, was in charge. She seemed to know everyone's name and where to seat them. She was constantly running around working really hard to make everyone happy.

Lillianna (sp) was a very hard worker....totally in control and boy did she run around!! We had quite a few chats with her - she was Maîtres'd on "The World" for 7 years and several with Seabourn. These folks are wonderful - hard workers - many are away from their small children for months at a time. Impressive.

If any of you with upcoming Yacht Club reservations have the opportunity to have Giovanni Scognamigilio/Italy as your waiter...you're super lucky...he's a gem.

My dh has a sports jacket in a medium to dark blue with gold-tone buttons that he never wears. I love it. But it's been in the back of the closet since cruise lines have done away with "semi formal" night.

I was thinking he could wear it in leMuse on formal evenings. However, from the above posts, it seems he should take a suit. :o:( Don't say take both....he won't.

Lillianna (sp) was a very hard worker....totally in control and boy did she run around!! We had quite a few chats with her - she was Maîtres'd on "The World" for 7 years and several with Seabourn. These folks are wonderful - hard workers - many are away from their small children for months at a time. Impressive.

If any of you with upcoming Yacht Club reservations have the opportunity to have Giovanni Scognamigilio/Italy as your waiter...you're super lucky...he's a gem.

Yes, Giacomo was wonderful on our past June cruise & we are again sailing in 2 weeks n y/c but recently read a thread that he has been transferred to the buffet & a woman has taken his place, no nice comments about her.

My dh has a sports jacket in a medium to dark blue with gold-tone buttons that he never wears. I love it. But it's been in the back of the closet since cruise lines have done away with "semi formal" night.

I was thinking he could wear it in leMuse on formal evenings. However, from the above posts, it seems he should take a suit. :o:( Don't say take both....he won't.

Your husband will be just fine with his sports jacket! We had many many men in LeMuse on formal night who just wore a nice men's camp shirt. There is such a mix he will not stick out at all! Enjoy! :)

A jacket will be fine.

Your husband will be just fine with his sports jacket! We had many many men in LeMuse on formal night who just wore a nice men's camp shirt. There is such a mix he will not stick out at all! Enjoy! :)

Was on in June in v/c & dress was not that formal compared to our previous cruises in a regular balcony. Will be in y/c again & shedding the tux for jacket & slax.