Is MDR open for lunch on Zuiderdam Baltics port days?

ExpatBride

We live in Scandinavia and we're cruising to get away from it all, not for the ports, so we will be onboard for lunch most days.

We're trying to figure out whether or not to buy a beverage package. If we have a sit down lunch most days, we'll have wine with lunch, and it will be worth buying a package. If we have to eat at the buffet most days, then we won't have wine with lunch, and most likely will not break even.

Is anyone recently back from the Zuiderdam, who can comment on whether or not the MDR is open for lunch on port days?

Edited by ExpatBride

It is not typical for the MDR to be open for lunch on port days.

That's what I figured, but for some reason last year on the NCL Star Fjords cruise it was, so I thought (wishfully) that maybe it was a Northern European thing.

That's what I figured, but for some reason last year on the NCL Star Fjords cruise it was, so I thought (wishfully) that maybe it was a Northern European thing.

NCL is not Holland America. Different cruise line, different policies.

I was working on my feeble memory for when we were in the Baltics and I don't recall the MDR being open.

Now,that being said, a lot of the passengers will be in port so the Lido should be reasonably quiet. I am sure you could find a quiet corner and still enjoy your wine ;). (At least I hope so).

Here's another possible alternative. The Pinnacle Grill offers a lovely lunch menu for $10 per person. It is not open every day due to special luncheons, etc but it can be open on port days. You could stop by there and see what the availability is for lunch and make some reservations if the timing suits you.

I usually book it once on board for sea days and can happily have several lunches there. Have never had a bad one yet ;)

Another option (depending upon your room) would be to take your lunch or munchies back to your room/verandah and enjoy a glass of wine and lunch there. Depends upon your lunch choices of course ;)

Edited by kazu

I was working on my feeble memory for when we were in the Baltics and I don't recall the MDR being open.

Now,that being said, a lot of the passengers will be in port so the Lido should be reasonably quiet. I am sure you could find a quiet corner and still enjoy your wine ;). (At least I hope so).

Here's another possible alternative. The Pinnacle Grill offers a lovely lunch menu for $10 per person. It is not open every day due to special luncheons, etc but it can be open on port days. You could stop by there and see what the availability is for lunch and make some reservations if the timing suits you.

I usually book it once on board for sea days and can happily have several lunches there. Have never had a bad one yet ;)

That's great news about the Lido. We sailed Norwegian Epic earlier this year, and the all hours buffet zoo scene gave me a trauma ; -)

Thanks for the tip about Pinnacle Grill, I'll definitely check that out once we're onboard.

Edited by ExpatBride

That's great news about the Lido. We sailed Norwegian Epic earlier this year, and the all hours buffet zoo scene gave me a trauma ; -)

Thanks for the tip about Pinnacle Grill, I'll definitely check that out once we're onboard.

I hear you. I am not a fan of the Lido because of crowds. But, on port days (especially if you are doing St. Petersburg), many should be off the ship.