Having visa panic! British passport holders going to carribean

Hi all

Going on FOS eastern I carribean from PC, we have our ESTA for th states but we are suddenly panicking that we need visas for either st Thomas or st Maarten, any advise?? Also we have never cruised from the USA before so will the ship take our passports on boarding? Thanks

Hi all

Going on FOS eastern I carribean from PC, we have our ESTA for th states but we are suddenly panicking that we need visas for either st Thomas or st Maarten, any advise?? Also we have never cruised from the USA before so will the ship take our passports on boarding? Thanks

I'm Irish, so not quite the same, but close. I've never needed anything for St Maarten or St Thomas (or anywhere else in the Caribbean when cruising).

Your sea pass card usually suffices. Some of the islands want you to bring your passport ashore, others are happy with just the sea pass (your hotel card essentially), which you'll always need to get off or on the ship. The daily newsletter will tell you if you need to bring your passport.

The ship won't take your passport on boarding - you can put it in your safe.

Have fun!

Hi all

If you are boarding in the US then all that will be needed is your sea pass/room card

We are from the UK and did this exact cruise last summer, we never needed anything other than our sea pass card when getting on and off the ship-we were never asked for a passport or visa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are boarding in the US then all that will be needed is your sea pass/room card

We are from the UK and did this exact cruise last summer, we never needed anything other than our sea pass card when getting on and off the ship-we were never asked for a passport or visa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You didn't need a picture ID also? We haven't been to St. Thomas or St. Maartin yet (in another week or so), but on our W. Caribbean cruises, we needed to bring a picture ID (we used our Driver's Licenses) along with our Sea Pass cards.

You didn't need a picture ID also? We haven't been to St. Thomas or St. Maartin yet (in another week or so), but on our W. Caribbean cruises, we needed to bring a picture ID (we used our Driver's Licenses) along with our Sea Pass cards.

The port people want the photo ID at Nassau for sure.

You do need photo ID at many ports. St. Thomas for sure.

Port security will check it against your sea pass before allowing you to approach the secure area around the ship for boarding. It does not have to be your passport, so any government issued photo ID such as a driver's license is fine. Some people have used a color photocopy of the photo page of their passport too

The port people want the photo ID at Nassau for sure.

Usually when getting off the ship there are notices to tell you if you need photo ID at this port. I was on a B2B earlier in the year, visiting Nassau 3 days apart. On the first visit I was briefly "detained" because I had no photo ID going back to the ship, as there'd been no notice given. A few days later there was plenty of notice to bring ID (which I did anyway), and no-one asked for it :)

Hi all

A bit confused about why you would need a visa. St Thomas is part of the United States - if the ESTA is good for US it should be good for that island. St Maarten is part of the Nederlands - do you need a visa for that? Many countries don't need visas for St Maarten: http://www.sintmaartengov.org/Government%20Forms/travelguide.pdf

That said, it is wise to ask these kinds of questions before you travel! Who knows if the EU will be made enough at Britain to require visas once the exit from the EU is completed.

Edited by LeeW
more

As others have said, ship will not collect your passport.

We have never been asked to show anything except set sail pass in Caribbean. It is sometimes recommended to take government issued photo ID.

We take driving licence cards .

Just a suggestion...lock passports in safe for duration of cruise but take photocopies ashore, together with contact details for port agent ( will be in Cruise Compass..daily info sheet) just in case of emergencies !!!!

I just carried a photo copy of my passport. I have stopped in Barbados, st Thomas, Cayman, St Maartin, St Lucia, Puerto Rico, Belize, Honduras, Mexico, St Kitts. At none did I even show it, But I would take it just in case (In St Thomas the guard went to ask me for it then he just walked away to someone else before I produced it so I just walked through). But I would take a passport copy or your drivers licence with you.

You do need photo ID at many ports. St. Thomas for sure.

Port security will check it against your sea pass before allowing you to approach the secure area around the ship for boarding. It does not have to be your passport, so any government issued photo ID such as a driver's license is fine. Some people have used a color photocopy of the photo page of their passport too

Been to St Thomas twice and never required to show anything more than the sea pass card.

Guest maddycat
Been to St Thomas twice and never required to show anything more than the sea pass card.

Every time that we're in St. Thomas we're asked for a photo ID. The last time was this past April.