An offer or not?

Glawster

I received the below e mail, and was delighted as its our 30th wedding anniversary at the time of sailing. Phoned Princess spoke with their sales person who confirmed the offer. Booked and started looking forward to a memorable cruise.

Subsequently advised that all we could look forward to in a mini suite was Egyptian cotton sheets. Princess accepted that the offer could be misleading and even with the subsequent confirmation of offer by their sales staff they were not going to supply it but offered some on board spend as goodwill gesture instead - sadly this does not even cover the loss of afternoon tea!

So could I get some feedback please - I don't really want any onboard spend just the experience that was initially offered and paid for. Should I expect Princess to honour the original offer? Suggestions welcome.

:(

"As a loyal past passenger, you have been exclusively selected to receive our latest special offer on

Suites and Mini-Suites! Suites and Mini-Suites are great value for friends or family wishing to share, whilst also indulging in some added luxury. The perfect blend of premium added benefits offers guests a wonderful ‘suite spot’ to unwind.

To view your exclusive suite fares online - please make sure you log in to 'My Princess'.

If you need help please phone us on 0843 374 2240.

TEMPTING EXTRAS

Indulge with the ultimate luxury pillow-top mattresses, 100% Egyptian cotton, pillow menu, fluffy towels and bathrobes.

Enjoy upgraded bathroom amenities including bath salts and eye mask, and experience true relaxation in your hot tub in selected suites.

CULINARY DELIGHTS

Culinary delights await with exclusive Sabatini’s

breakfast, Elite lounge serving complimentary hors

d’oeuvre, extended room service menu, preferred

dining reservations, nightly deluxe canapés or afternoon

tea on request, and Chef’s “Welcome Goodies”.

FEEL LIKE ROYALTY

You’ll be treated like royalty ashore too with priority embarkation and disembarkation, priority shore excursion reservations, dedicated priority line at the Passenger Service Desk, complimentary laundry, professional cleaning and the use of the Lotus Spa Thermal Suite~.

Not quite sure what the issue is. The afternoon tea sounds like you can get it from room service. But can't everyone do that? What were you expecting that they now say you won't get?

Princess accepted that the offer could be misleading and even with the subsequent confirmation of offer by their sales staff they were not going to supply it[/b] but offered some on board spend as goodwill gesture instead - sadly this does not even cover the loss of afternoon tea!]

It sounds like the OP is saying that their mini suite will not have the Egyptian cotton sheets and it's a deal breaker for her. I'm not sure about the afternoon tea thing as we've never attended the tea venue.

I read it again and it sounds like all they would get are the Egyptian sheets and would lose out on the afternoon tea. I don't know how much afternoon tea is or why Princess would even offer an OBC due to the fact that only suites get the perk. The info from Princess does sound a bit misleading. Suites get nice perks that's for sure, but I don't know if it's worth booking one just to get afternoon tea. JMHO.

Suites and Mini-Suites are in the lead-in: "...latest special offer on Suites and Mini-Suites! Suites and Mini-Suites are great value..."

Princess email then listed (Suite) amenities leading one to conclude you would get them in a Mini as well - under this offer. The only Mini-Suite amenity they subsequently said they'd provide are the Sheets.

I'd figure they will state the ad is a mistake and as such they don't have to provide the Suite amenities to a Mini-Suite.

Sad that this could leave a poor start to a big vacation. Maybe the upsell fairy will come by, or you get enough OBC to make you feel better.

Now my opinion only: the Suite Afternoon Tea is a big meal, lots of treats and tidbits. We did it once and had more leftovers than we cared for. You call the Dine line and they go over what you want. It has to be ordered a day or more before. On the other hand, for a special occasion, I'd get a full Suite - and maybe some more OBC - for the tea and all the other Suite amenities.

Edited by Ferd Berfle
spellcheck

The biggest losses are the breakfasts and the thermal suite. If the onboard credit is enough, you could use it to buy passes to the thermal suite. Afternoon tea isn't that big a deal. You can enjoy the same things in the dining room. In-room afternoon tea is not offered to every passenger, just people in suites and with Elite past-passenger status.

Depending on the OP's past-passenger status, attending the evening "Elite lounge" might already be something they qualify for. Even though the email says Elite, it's open to Platinum passengers as well.

I do agree that the wording in the email is misleading. But that's what happens when people write ad copy about something when they don't know all of the facts. The OP is lucky to have an offer for some OBC.

We had a similar experience when the cruise director on a cruise made a statement that we'd receive credit for an upcoming cruise based on the price we had paid for that cruise. It was a statement that repeated over and over on the "Wake Show." I thought he was wrong, and he was. Princess offered us a token on our next cruise to make up for his mistake. It was nowhere near the value that we would have received.

I received the below e mail, and was delighted as its our 30th wedding anniversary at the time of sailing. Phoned Princess spoke with their sales person who confirmed the offer. Booked and started looking forward to a memorable cruise.

Subsequently advised that all we could look forward to in a mini suite was Egyptian cotton sheets. Princess accepted that the offer could be misleading and even with the subsequent confirmation of offer by their sales staff they were not going to supply it but offered some on board spend as goodwill gesture instead - sadly this does not even cover the loss of afternoon tea!

So could I get some feedback please - I don't really want any onboard spend just the experience that was initially offered and paid for. Should I expect Princess to honour the original offer? Suggestions welcome.

"As a loyal past passenger, you have been exclusively selected to receive our latest special offer on

Suites and Mini-Suites! Suites and Mini-Suites are great value for friends or family wishing to share, whilst also indulging in some added luxury. The perfect blend of premium added benefits offers guests a wonderful ‘suite spot’ to unwind.

To view your exclusive suite fares online - please make sure you log in to 'My Princess'.

TEMPTING EXTRAS

Indulge with the ultimate luxury pillow-top mattresses, 100% Egyptian cotton, pillow menu, fluffy towels and bathrobes.

Enjoy upgraded bathroom amenities including bath salts and eye mask, and experience true relaxation in your hot tub in selected suites.

CULINARY DELIGHTS

FEEL LIKE ROYALTY

You’ll be treated like royalty ashore too with priority embarkation and disembarkation, priority shore excursion reservations, dedicated priority line at the Passenger Service Desk, complimentary laundry, professional cleaning and the use of the Lotus Spa Thermal Suite~.

No. I think you will find they will not honor that request.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Here's the true "Offer" To view your exclusive suite fares online - please make sure you log in to 'My Princess'.

The list below it describes the perks for booking a suite. It could have been worded with clarification that they were standard amenities for booking suites.

So the question to whether there was an offer for these items? Not really. The offer was a special fare. Could they have done a better job clarifying the amenities of mini-suites. Yes. Will you be able to get these amenities for your mini-suite? No.

I would suggest if you don't want the OBC, upgrade and book a Suite.

Not quite sure what the issue is. The afternoon tea sounds like you can get it from room service. But can't everyone do that? What were you expecting that they now say you won't get?

Anyone can have tea delivered to their cabin however only suite & elite level passengers can have the Afternoon Tea (food & tea) delivered to their cabin. Other passengers need to go to the dining room (or to the buffet which has some of the same food options) for Afternoon Tea.

The problem with the ad is that they make it sound like those booking a mini-suite will be getting the suite benefits...which anyone who has read these boards much will know is not true

Should they honor the original wording--yes.

Will they honor it? No way.

As others have noted, a mini-suite amounts to a bigger balcony cabin. They really should delete the word "suite" and be honest about what they are offering to people who book this option.

The problem is that most people don't spend their days on Cruise Critic (or even know it exists) to find out that a Mini-Suite is not a Suite. It's common knowledge here but is incredibly shady terminology when dealing with new or inexperienced cruisers.

The OPs post was not really about Afternoon Tea...

"We" all know that a mini-suite is not a suite but does Princess make that clear? No, it doesn't. Especially in that email... they've blurred the lines even more than usual.

:(

"As a loyal past passenger, you have been exclusively selected to receive our latest special offer on Suites and Mini-Suites! Suites and Mini-Suites are great value for friends or family wishing to share, whilst also indulging in some added luxury. The perfect blend of premium added benefits offers guests a wonderful ‘suite spot’ to unwind.

TEMPTING EXTRAS

CULINARY DELIGHTS

FEEL LIKE ROYALTY

The problem is poor wording by Princess. The first part I highlighted in red refers to both suites and mini-suites. All of those wonderful benefits are only for the suites, not for mini-suites.

Thanks for feedback. Don't get hung up on the afternoon tea - that was just highlighted as the OBC offered was less then the cost of afternoon tea.

At time of booking sought clarification from the Princess sales staff who confirmed that all of the benefits offered applied to both suites and mini suites.

As were also taking the mother in law ( I should be sainted :-) ) was particularly drawn by Lotus, boarding etc which she would enjoy especially as its first break for her since her husband passed and she is now more mobile after 2nd hip replaced.

It Just seems strange that Princess can offer one thing, accept their wording is misleading and its unfortunate their staff also misled but in the end remark tough here is a bit of on board spend but your not getting what you thought you were getting and what our staff confirmed you would get at the time of booking.

I agree that the wording is very misleading. As Mum & Son says, if you've been on CC or sailed on Princess a lot you would realise that the list of inclusions are for full-suites. Am I mistaken or did the OP ring and check with Princess that the email referred to minis as well? (I see that they did). You could possibly ask Princess check the phone log with he agent you spoke to if you wanted to take it further (and ask for a transcript of this).

On the other hand if it was me, I would cancel and go to another cruise line.

Edited by Aussieflyer