The bad and the ugly

onthegogirl

After the M&G ended around twelve, my DH and I went to the Lido for lunch. When we went back to the stateroom to relax after 1:00, the room had not been made up. It was not attended to until I finally complained to Guest services.

But don't you have to "unmake" the bed anyway to take a nap????

Assuming the OP does not have a copy with her, perhaps she can access her email, print out the confirmation received from HAL regarding the request for shipboard credit (since she dealt directly with HAL) and present it to Guest Relations??? That could relieve one of the concerns.

Dear Mrs. XXXXX,

Thank you for your request to have a shipboard credit applied to reservation(s) XXXX based on your status as a CCL stockholder. Holland America Line has applied the ship board credit of $250.00 USD to your booking and it will be credited to your onboard account upon embarkation. Please contact your travel agency for additional information.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard in the near future.

Kind Regards,

_________

Todd Worthington

World Cruise Reservations

Holland America Line

PHONE: 800 522 3399

She just needs to present it to the concierge ;). NO need for guest relations ;)

Even if the issues were major, and these certainly aren't, I'm apt to dismiss reviews/comments that are totally negative with not a positive word to be found. Sorry, but no sympathy here.

Quoting above as I too share the same opinion.

I was expecting "the ship sank" or "my leg was bitten off by a t-rex", but we got "ZOMG! there's only 1 pair of binoculars" and "the M&G was moved" ETC.

Elevators are going to be too slow next I guess? There sea was over 3'?

C'mon, those aren't even 1st world problems but .0001% of the 1st world problems.

Edited by Viesczy

Sory for those things that disappointed you.

Were there no great mements? anythingyou reallygENJOYED?

I have sailed dozens and dozens o f TIMES in and we always had pairf of vinnoculars. Where does somedoe sugeest t there will b e two?

New addition to the PS on the Westerdam:

This big new pair comes in a special metal box:

Westerdam%20ship%20pictures%202016%20060_zpschyfbudp.jpg

They are quite heavy

Westerdam20ship20pictures20201620059_zpsbax7juzn.jpg

They have their own tripod

Westerdam%20ship%20pictures%202016%20068_zpsl4qnwjgc.jpg

And we had a new pair of the smaller ones

Westerdam%20ship%20pictures%202016%20061_zpspo5x7el0.jpg

Have never heard of priority bag tags. Have sailed 8 cruises on HAL, all in suites, including 2 in in the PS. Something new?

Binoculars? Always had one pair. Never been promised 2. Never expected 2. Stock owners OBC? Did you bring any documentation of the awarding. The confirmation from HAL would have solved all this.

I think you are over thinking this. Pressing arrived at 5:30....can't see a problem there. Cracked window? Can't say when it happened, but not sure how much spare glass HAL just carries around. Obviously the crew was aware of it.

Sorry, imho, some relatively minor issues...

We first got the priority tags in the fall of 2014 -- Noordam.

After perusing her post carefully, and also reading between the lines, I'm cutting "OnTheGoGirl" some slack, and attributing her "jitters" to a combination of buyer's remorse over the expense of an upsell to her first Neptune suite, some possibly unrealistic expectations of the suite life, and the stress of traveling with a husband who's not as keen about cruising as she is. I hope as the cruise progresses, and things settle down, her experience will be better. She still has twelve days out of fourteen to go! I think we can sometimes place a little too much credence in the glossy brochures and their pretty marketing language about the cruising experience. (And I am guilty of all of the above).

OnTheGoGirl, I hope your cruise will only get better and better!

After perusing her post carefully, and also reading between the lines, I'm cutting "OnTheGoGirl" some slack, and attributing her "jitters" to a combination of buyer's remorse over the expense of an upsell to her first Neptune suite, some possibly unrealistic expectations of the suite life, and the stress of traveling with a husband who's not as keen about cruising as she is. I hope as the cruise progresses, and things settle down, her experience will be better. She still has twelve days out of fourteen to go! I think we can sometimes place a little too much credence in the glossy brochures and their pretty marketing language about the cruising experience. (And I am guilty of all of the above).

OnTheGoGirl, I hope your cruise will only get better and better!

I have sailed with onthegogirl and she is a very nice person.

I tried to cut some slack in my post and hope I did and I think you are right and they are disappointed that the Neptune Suite is not delivering what their expectations were. Overly high expectations for this or any other cabin are dangerous.

Being in an NS is no guarantee of anything. You have to take the bull by the horns and talk (nicely) to the concierge if there are issues. NS's on the Maasdam are some of the nicest as far as space and verandah size goes. Other than the concierge & PG breakfast, real estate is the prime perk for most in this category if they are 4* or above

Embarkation day is very hectic and I am always impressed how well it is done overall. If someone's luggage is given to us, we report it immediately. If we see ours by the elevator sitting or wherever,we just get it. It rarely happens but I don't see it as a big deal ;)

They are also hectic for those boarding. Onthegogirl, there should have been a note in your cabin from the Hotel Manager/Director telling you about the Neptune Lounge, hours, PG breakfasts and what they do for you. If you didn't get it or missed it, talk to the concierge - seriously. They are there to help you.

I hope you can put your disappointments behind you and enjoy your cruise. Have fun :)

I am on the same ship in cheapie inside cabin, and have the stateroom steward from HEAVEN!! Plus, the AC and heater work perfectly, in spite of CC reports to the contrary. Having the time if my life :)

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Have you every felt that there was a black cloud hanging over your head. That is my experience on this Maasdam cruise. If some thing could go wrong, it has or probably will.

This is one of the the last three ships on Holland American that I have been on and is the worse cruise experience in the 15 years I have been cruising.

Obviously my first mistake was to accept an upsell offer to a Neptune Suite. It was a lot of money but I am also celebrating also a landmark birthday and I had persuaded my DH to join me ( not an easy sell).

There were lots of perks listed as sport of the Neptune Suite but .......

First, there were our priority luggage tags. We were early to arrive at the pier in Seattle and hand over our bags. We were the very first group to embark. Our stateroom was ready but it was after sail away when we spotted our bag in front of the wrong door at the end of the hall.

OK, ship happens. We noticed that there was a crack in one of the windows but obviously ships personnel noticed and marked it so I did not mention it. The concierge in the Neptune Lounge offered me a free massage because of the inconvenience (?) and that was lovely.

Checked my bill and the CCL shareholders OBC was missing. The company insists that it is included in my Travel Agents Invoice. Since she has no way of knowing what my stock holdings are and I had contacted CCL directly this is obviously wrong. We're not talking chump change here.

The amenities for a suite include binoculars for our use. It did not say that we would have to share one pair. If I had known that I would have brought a second from home where they all sit in a drawer. OK, not the end of the world.

On the second day, a sea day, the CruiseCritic M&G was scheduled in the explorers lounge because there was square dancing in the Crow's Nest. No issue there except that the daily program listed an acupuncture lecture at the same time. Confusion, confusion.

After the M&G ended around twelve, my DH and I went to the Lido for lunch. When we went back to the stateroom to relax after 1:00, the room had not been made up. It was not attended to until I finally complained to Guest services.

Pressing that we sent out yesterday was delivered at 5:30 tonight. Thank goodness we didn't have early seating at dinner of DH would have made an appearance in jeans.

All in all this cruise has been a big disappointment. Don't know what is going on on the proud ship Maasdam but it isn't pretty. I was thinking of doing the circumnavigation of AU next year on this ship. That will not be happening. And all this fun only cost us $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Sorry, but this is all minor stuff, not enough to complain about, the OBC probably has to do with paperwork..

Have never heard of priority bag tags. Have sailed 8 cruises on HAL, all in suites, including 2 in in the PS. Something new?

Binoculars? Always had one pair. Never been promised 2. Never expected 2. Stock owners OBC? Did you bring any documentation of the awarding. The confirmation from HAL would have solved all this.

I think you are over thinking this. Pressing arrived at 5:30....can't see a problem there. Cracked window? Can't say when it happened, but not sure how much spare glass HAL just carries around. Obviously the crew was aware of it.

Sorry, imho, some relatively minor issues...

I tend to agree with this response

I am on the same ship in cheapie inside cabin, and have the stateroom steward from HEAVEN!! Plus, the AC and heater work perfectly, in spite of CC reports to the contrary. Having the time if my life :)

Now THAT is the way to cruise !

A cracked window is really a bummer, but it does happen....and it can take weeks (or months) to obtain some custom made windows.

Just want to add that along with getting the replacement (whether it's onboard or has to be ordered), the room will have to be out of order while the window is being replaced. Which as we know, means removing the cracked window without causing more damage, prepping the site, and installing the new window. Adhesive needs to set and dry, and by now, a few hours have gone by. On turnaround days, the room isn't vacant long enough for work to start and be completed.

Edited by Boatdrill

Wow, such a change of perspective from onthegogirl's post on the "Reason I love HAL" thread a mere 11 days ago:...

"No one running through the halls at 3:00am or pushing all the buttons on the elevator. Just well read, well traveled interesting people who, for the most part, have learned that we each make our own good time." (emphasis mine)

I was on the 6/6 sailing in a relatively cheapie OV cabin with functional AC/toilet/shower. Our meet and greet was in Crow's Nest during trivia, so I never actually met any of our m&g people (but did become cruise buddies with a couple that was there for the trivia). Oh well. Was everything perfect? Nope, but my biggest disappointment was that I missed all of the confirmed sightings of orcas near the ship. But I was in freaking ALASKA enjoying pretty much perfect weather, breathing in that wonderful sea air, and seeing lots of whales and glaciers and whatnot. I had a blast and would love to be back on that dam ship right now (alas, still not adjusting well to real life post-cruise). Most of OP's complaints are IMO minor and can be addressed immediately as others have mentioned. It's a pretty sweet itinerary, so I hope OP can take everything in stride, relax, and enjoy the rest of their cruise. :)

Save

Must be honest we should be grateful HAL is not following the practices of NCL. They have band the practice of carry-on or packing any non-alcoholic beverages on to their fleet. This includes water, juices and canned pop. It is the most ridiculous penny pinching, nickel and dimming move NCL could have done. Just purchased a package cruise and stay vacation and have no choice but to sail on the NCL Pearl. This will be my one and only NCL cruise. I'm taking my business home to HAL where you are treated like a value guest. I can order room service for free and bring on all the water, juice, canned pop I like. As well as one bottle of wine, FOR FREE!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First time on HAL and have a question about bringing on board soda or pop. Does it have to be cans Or can it be plastic bottles? Do I put it in a bag with a luggage tag or what is the norm.

Must be honest we should be grateful HAL is not following the practices of NCL. They have band the practice of carry-on or packing any non-alcoholic beverages on to their fleet. This includes water, juices and canned pop. It is the most ridiculous penny pinching, nickel and dimming move NCL could have done.

Forums

It's also one of the smartest things they could have done. NCL's policy cuts down the likelihood of someone (young adults, teenagers, and yes, clever older adults) bringing their own moonshine or alcoholic concoction onboard in what appears to be Gatorade, soft drinks, etc. Of course the policy will increase onboard revenue, but at the same time NCL can regain some control over what liquor their guests are drinking, and how much. Surely their insurance company is happy about that. :)

Have you every felt that there was a black cloud hanging over your head. That is my experience on this Maasdam cruise. If some thing could go wrong, it has or probably will.

After this first paragraph I was thinking I would read that you or your traveling companion(s) had fallen ill, hurt oneself or worse. The little inconveniences you have listed are really minor compared to what some folks unexpectedly experience. You are on vacation - perhaps try to enjoy it and not try to find what is wrong.

Must be honest we should be grateful HAL is not following the practices of NCL. They have band the practice of carry-on or packing any non-alcoholic beverages on to their fleet. This includes water, juices and canned pop. It is the most ridiculous penny pinching, nickel and dimming move NCL could have done. Just purchased a package cruise and stay vacation and have no choice but to sail on the NCL Pearl. This will be my one and only NCL cruise. I'm taking my business home to HAL where you are treated like a value guest. I can order room service for free and bring on all the water, juice, canned pop I like. As well as one bottle of wine, FOR FREE!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Love you!!

First time on HAL and have a question about bringing on board soda or pop. Does it have to be cans Or can it be plastic bottles? Do I put it in a bag with a luggage tag or what is the norm.
j

It can be plastic bottles or cans whichever you can handle best.

We carry any on with our carry on luggage that we are bringing.

Since you can bring it on in ports as well unless there is unavailabity in your ports, you can pick up what you need as you go along.

I was on the 6/6 sailing in a relatively cheapie OV cabin with functional AC/toilet/shower. Our meet and greet was in Crow's Nest during trivia, so I never actually met any of our m&g people (but did become cruise buddies with a couple that was there for the trivia). Oh well. Was everything perfect? Nope, but my biggest disappointment was that I missed all of the confirmed sightings of orcas near the ship. But I was in freaking ALASKA enjoying pretty much perfect weather, breathing in that wonderful sea air, and seeing lots of whales and glaciers and whatnot. I had a blast and would love to be back on that dam ship right now (alas, still not adjusting well to real life post-cruise). Most of OP's complaints are IMO minor and can be addressed immediately as others have mentioned. It's a pretty sweet itinerary, so I hope OP can take everything in stride, relax, and enjoy the rest of their cruise. :)

Save

GREAT post. A pleasure to read. Thank you for it. :)