MDR request. Am I being too picky?

E&B

We're sailing on the Magic in 30 Days! Starting to get my last minute ducks in a row and one item on my list is requesting our table in the MDR a few days before we sail. From what I've read here and opinions of my family, our ultimate table would be a table for 5 near a window in the Southern Lights dinning room. Is this even possible or do you think such a request is a little too picky? Just want to hear from those of you who have specific preferences and how successful you were at getting them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I too am sailing on the Magic (July 30). I have never made a specific request from Maitre D in all of my cruises - however, due to some recent events, I would really love to have a table for 2 for my sister and me. We are in late seating and I emailed the Maitre D last week and requested a booth (or table) for two.

I received an email response within 30 minutes (I had heard you rarely hear back from them). He was very nice and said that it would be taken care of. He also said that he was going on vacation in 4 days, but his "colleague will take care of my request, no problem."

For those of you who have done this before (made an email request), do you think I should forward his email response to the new Maitre D a week or so before the cruise to ensure that he is aware of the request?

Like I said, I've never made a request before & as you can see from my signature, I've been on many CCL cruises (besides being an ex-crewmember), so I'm not sure what I should do. This has just been a very difficult last few months (I was the driver in an accident that killed a high school student who ran in front of my vehicle), and I just really need this time alone with my sister to try to relax.

I appreciate any advise you guys may have.

Thanks,

You may email your request and see if you get a response.

If all 5 are NOT in the same cabin you need to have your reservations linked so that dining arrangements are set when you board. It is more difficult to change these once you board. If you do not get a response from the maître d' and your reservations are linked, you can go to the MDR on boarding when they open for changes (usually before muster drill) and see where your table is located. It may be possible for them to move you to a more suitable location, but depends on the table arrangements. And you'll have to wait to get confirmation and sit at your originally assigned table(s) for the first night. (Good time to try the Steakhouse).

You all will be seated together as long as your booking numbers are linked. Since you asked, yes, I think requesting a specific table is too picky. They can't give everyone a table by the window. Personally, I don't want to make their jobs any harder than they already are.

We're sailing on the Magic in 30 Days! Starting to get my last minute ducks in a row and one item on my list is requesting our table in the MDR a few days before we sail. From what I've read here and opinions of my family, our ultimate table would be a table for 5 near a window in the Southern Lights dinning room. Is this even possible or do you think such a request is a little too picky? Just want to hear from those of you who have specific preferences and how successful you were at getting them.

No, you are not picky at all. Each time I cruise I always make a dining request.

I was looking at Princess cruises the other day and they have a spot during the booking process where you can request what table size you want. While, it says they will do their best to accommodate the request, it's not guaranteed. But at least you can note your request.

Would be nice if Carnival had the same thing available during booking.

I would certainly ask, the worst they can do is give you a table for 5 near the kitchen doors.;)

Good spot. Less time for the food to cool down.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I too am sailing on the Magic (July 30). I have never made a specific request from Maitre D in all of my cruises - however, due to some recent events, I would really love to have a table for 2 for my sister and me. We are in late seating and I emailed the Maitre D last week and requested a booth (or table) for two.

I received an email response within 30 minutes (I had heard you rarely hear back from them). He was very nice and said that it would be taken care of. He also said that he was going on vacation in 4 days, but his "colleague will take care of my request, no problem."

For those of you who have done this before (made an email request), do you think I should forward his email response to the new Maitre D a week or so before the cruise to ensure that he is aware of the request?

Like I said, I've never made a request before & as you can see from my signature, I've been on many CCL cruises (besides being an ex-crewmember), so I'm not sure what I should do. This has just been a very difficult last few months (I was the driver in an accident that killed a high school student who ran in front of my vehicle), and I just really need this time alone with my sister to try to relax.

I appreciate any advise you guys may have.

Thanks,

I don't have any advice but I am so sorry for what you are going through.

Take care!!

I don't have any advice but I am so sorry for what you are going through.

Take care!!

Thank you for the kind words. I work in law enforcement (was actually driving a marked unit when this happened) and I have a background as a Victim Advocate which has helped give me prespective and training in what to expect as far as dealing with the emotions. However, it's been very difficult to work through and I'm looking forward to this trip to just try to get away from everything.

Again thank you for your support.

When I email I always say I'd like a table for 5 please. Then I put "If possible, a table by a window would be wonderful but it isn't a requirement."

Whenever I asked for it, I've always gotten a table by a window.

Yes, asking for specific table is unreasonable unless you are doing anytime dining and willing to wait your turn.

I have made very specific requests via email 1.5 weeks BEFORE sail, and the Maitre D has always EXACTLY accommodated my request. It's really not that big of a deal for the Maitre D to assign you a table near a window if you ask, as not many people ask, and they have to assign everyone to a table for each cruise anyway.

In my email, I always add, "I would love to bring you a token of my appreciation, is there something special you can't get onboard that I can bring you?"

Typically they ask for candy or drugstore items. I will package these up in a nice gift bag and present to them when I see them at dinner the first night, along with a thank you note. This little gesture assures I'm treated like royalty and greeted by name.

A little tip or gift goes a long way!

Cheers!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

Edited by RecoveryDude

I have made very specific requests via email 1.5 weeks BEFORE sail, and the Maitre D has always EXACTLY accommodated my request. It's really not that big of a deal for the Maitre D to assign you a table near a window if you ask, as not many people ask, and they have to assign everyone to a table for each cruise anyway.

In my email, I always add, "I would love to bring you a token of my appreciation, is there something special you can't get onboard that I can bring you?"

Typically they ask for candy or drugstore items. I will package these up in a nice gift bag and present to them when I see them at dinner the first night, along with a thank you note. This little gesture assures I'm treated like royalty and greeted by name.

Cheers!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

Love your style :) I have to ask, did you get a response to your e-mail or was your request just granted? I have requested to be seated at the largest table available, with other Carnival guests, as we like to meet new people. I was just wondering if I would hear back or just have to wait until embarkation day to find out.

I emailed the maitreD on the Carnival Pride for my cruise this Sunday asking for a table for 4 with a view, I received a response back yesterday that I will be taken care of. They prefer you to contact them the week of your cruise preferably not the first 2 days of the previous sailing because they are quite busy. Hope this helps

I emailed the maitreD on the Carnival Pride for my cruise this Sunday asking for a table for 4 with a view, I received a response back yesterday that I will be taken care of. They prefer you to contact them the week of your cruise preferably not the first 2 days of the previous sailing because they are quite busy. Hope this helps

How do you get the email address in the first place? How would you know his name?

How do you get the email address in the first place? How would you know his name?

The e-mail address is the 2 letter designator for the ship and then the following: XXmaitred@carnival.com with the 2 XX's being the ships designator. Someone sent me a list of the ship designators, which ship were you looking for?

That makes a lot of sense, i had emailed about a month prior to our cruise and never received a reply, I'll try again a few days before our sailing.

Hi. I do this every time we cruise. Well, actually, maybe the last 5 or 6 times, since reading about it on here. I usually request a table for 2, and in a very specific area, and I've never been disappointed. On one cruise with family, I requested exactly what you want -- table for 5 near the window. Poof, DONE! My request was granted. Lovely! :D

Oh, and usually I never hear anything back. I just find my table on the first night of the cruise, and it turns out to be what I'd requested.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Cheers!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

I love that idea, Jeff. I'll try to do that next time. What a nice gesture! :)

They usually have tables for 2, 4, 6, 8, or 10. I have never seen a table for 5.

I have cruised before with a party of 5 with Anytime dining and when asking for a table for 5 we are sometimes lucky enough to get a table for 6 where they remove one of the place settings, but sometimes they give us a round table for 4 and squeeze in another chair making the table so crowded that it is difficult to eat.

We got smart the last time and always requested a table for 6 saying the other person was on the way and later telling the waiter that the other person decided not to come.