MDR request. Am I being too picky?

E&B

I emailed the maitreD on the Carnival Pride for my cruise this Sunday asking for a table for 4 with a view, I received a response back yesterday that I will be taken care of. They prefer you to contact them the week of your cruise preferably not the first 2 days of the previous sailing because they are quite busy. Hope this helps

Must be unique to carnival. Frankly, you'll have to forgive me if I say I don't buy your story. I called Celebrity asking for an email address for the maitre 'd for the purpose of asking for a table by a window. They said that was impossible. Further, she said can you imagine the chaos that would unsue if 1,400 passengers (half of the total capacity of 2,800) emailed one person asking for a special table? She then said could you imagine the outcry when only a half got what they wanted?

And, this would be a weekly thing. Over the course of one month this guy would have to open, read, research, act on and supposedly answer over 5,000 emails on just table selection. That's roughly 170 A DAY. To this I'd assume you'd have to add the emails about special occasions, dietary restrictions, allergies and so one. When is he supposed to do his day job?

Then I read one post where they "asked" the maitre 'd what special treat he would like as compensation for getting two people, out of 2,000, the exact table they were asking for.

Anonymity is a powerful tool on these boards. IMHO it is abused way too often and worse, nubies buy into these distortions, myths, and eighth handed versions of what was at best a questionable truth in the first place.

The first thing we do upon boarding is go to the MDR. The restaurant staff is holding court responding to face to face questions and requests. We ask to see the table we have been assigned to. If acceptable we are done, say thanks and leave. One of the assistants physically takes you to the table. If not acceptable you join a queue of usually no more than ten people waiting to be brought before the man himself. He looks at his map and makes suggestions. I have never seen him with 1500 emails (3 reams of paper) desperately trying to find tables by a window for 1500 people, a physical impossibility.

Edited by PoppyandNana

Must be unique to carnival. Frankly, you'll have to forgive me if I say I don't buy your story. I called Celebrity asking for an email address for the maitre 'd for the purpose of asking for a table by a window. They said that was impossible. Further, she said can you imagine the chaos that would unsue if 1,400 passengers (half of the total capacity of 2,800) emailed one person asking for a special table? She then said could you imagine the outcry when only a half got what they wanted?

And, this would be a weekly thing. Over the course of one month this guy would have to open, read, research, act on and supposedly answer over 5,000 emails on just table selection. That's roughly 170 A DAY. To this I'd assume you'd have to add the emails about special occasions, dietary restrictions, allergies and so one. When is he supposed to do his day job?

Then I read one post where they "asked" the maitre 'd what special treat he would like as compensation for getting two people, out of 2,000, the exact table they were asking for.

Anonymity is a powerful tool on these boards. IMHO it is abused way too often and worse, nubies buy into these distortions, myths, and eighth handed versions of what was at best a questionable truth in the first place.

The first thing we do upon boarding is go to the MDR. The restaurant staff is holding court responding to face to face questions and requests. We ask to see the table we have been assigned to. If acceptable we are done, say thanks and leave. One of the assistants physically takes you to the table. If not acceptable you join a queue of usually no more than ten people waiting to be brought before the man himself. He looks at his map and makes suggestions. I have never seen him with 1500 emails (3 reams of paper) desperately trying to find tables by a window for 1500 people, a physical impossibility.

Thank you for your intelligent post. I, too, am always more than a little surprised when posters relay their tales of special tables, special surprises from Carnival left in their cabins, or any extra-ordinary service only they received....especially when they include the swarmey details of their bribery techniques.

Tables on a ship are the luck of the draw. I am always amazed at how well they take care of large groups and get them all sitting together as well as matching up small groups to get large tables with amazingly similar family dynamics.

Guess some posters just want to appear "special" if only in print.

Well... You can most definitely send an email using those addresses that are floating around on these boards. My guess is that these emails (and ship codes) are not publicized for the reasons that you have stated in your email and then some.

I guess folks don't realize (or maybe they simply don't care) that the Maître d's have very busy schedules. I think it's horrible that the emails continue to be passed around on these boards when clearly they are internal company addresses not meant for the public.

Can't people just stand in line on the first day of their cruise and meet with the staff face-to-face for a request like the good ol days? :)

I was looking at Princess cruises the other day and they have a spot during the booking process where you can request what table size you want. While, it says they will do their best to accommodate the request, it's not guaranteed. But at least you can note your request.

Would be nice if Carnival had the same thing available during booking.[/QUOTE]

I agree it would be nice if we could request our table size.

You all will be seated together as long as your booking numbers are linked. Since you asked, yes, I think requesting a specific table is too picky. They can't give everyone a table by the window. Personally, I don't want to make their jobs any harder than they already are.

Sometimes sitting by a window blinds you with the setting sun. Depending on you dinner time you may have the shade drawn.

Wow, a few posts on here have taken a really mean turn.

I personally come on CC here to share my truthful, helpful experiences. Which include, in this case, fantastic, great, 100% success in requesting a private table in a particular area of the dining room. I'm shocked at the posts that say I must be lying. Nope. Not me. What a mean, insulting thing to say.

To the OP, E&B, I wanted to say that, in our experience, the table-for-5 near the window, that we requested one time, was our least favorite location. Surprisingly. In our case, we had a table that was behind a wall, and we couldn't see the singing & dancing waiters without getting up and moving. But that was just luck of the draw. We were very happy to receive the exact type of table we'd requested. Good luck to you! :)

We're sailing on the Magic in 30 Days! Starting to get my last minute ducks in a row and one item on my list is requesting our table in the MDR a few days before we sail. From what I've read here and opinions of my family, our ultimate table would be a table for 5 near a window in the Southern Lights dinning room. Is this even possible or do you think such a request is a little too picky? Just want to hear from those of you who have specific preferences and how successful you were at getting them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You may get lucky.

I emailed the maitreD on the Carnival Pride for my cruise this Sunday asking for a table for 4 with a view, I received a response back yesterday that I will be taken care of. They prefer you to contact them the week of your cruise preferably not the first 2 days of the previous sailing because they are quite busy. Hope this helps

Hi rccranbob,

If you don't mind, could you please give me the email address for Carnival Pride.

Thanks!!!

The e-mail address is the 2 letter designator for the ship and then the following: XXmaitred@carnival.com with the 2 XX's being the ships designator. Someone sent me a list of the ship designators, which ship were you looking for?

Hi Bev. Would you have the designator for the Splendor? Thank you

Wow, a few posts on here have taken a really mean turn.

I personally come on CC here to share my truthful, helpful experiences. Which include, in this case, fantastic, great, 100% success in requesting a private table in a particular area of the dining room. I'm shocked at the posts that say I must be lying. Nope. Not me. What a mean, insulting thing to say.

To the OP, E&B, I wanted to say that, in our experience, the table-for-5 near the window, that we requested one time, was our least favorite location. Surprisingly. In our case, we had a table that was behind a wall, and we couldn't see the singing & dancing waiters without getting up and moving. But that was just luck of the draw. We were very happy to receive the exact type of table we'd requested. Good luck to you! :)

Thank you! And thanks to others who have given helpful replies. Obviously requests are welcome. I seriously doubt all the dozens who post about them are lying as suggested.

This is our first time on Carnival and I asked the family if they'd prefer a table so we could see the dancing. Their response was that they couldn't care less about the dancing. They wanted a window.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by E&B

I too am sailing on the Magic (July 30). I have never made a specific request from Maitre D in all of my cruises - however, due to some recent events, I would really love to have a table for 2 for my sister and me. We are in late seating and I emailed the Maitre D last week and requested a booth (or table) for two.

I received an email response within 30 minutes (I had heard you rarely hear back from them). He was very nice and said that it would be taken care of. He also said that he was going on vacation in 4 days, but his "colleague will take care of my request, no problem."

For those of you who have done this before (made an email request), do you think I should forward his email response to the new Maitre D a week or so before the cruise to ensure that he is aware of the request?

Like I said, I've never made a request before & as you can see from my signature, I've been on many CCL cruises (besides being an ex-crewmember), so I'm not sure what I should do. This has just been a very difficult last few months (I was the driver in an accident that killed a high school student who ran in front of my vehicle), and I just really need this time alone with my sister to try to relax.

I appreciate any advise you guys may have.

Thanks,

I am truly sorry for what you are going through! Take your worries in your hand and throw them overboard. Leave them at sea...

Sometimes sitting by a window blinds you with the setting sun. Depending on you dinner time you may have the shade drawn.

Yes, this. We had a lovely table by the window for 7 of us. Every night, we had to have the shade down because the sun was shining in the eyes of tables at an angle to ours (was not shining directly on our table). That was sailing south to Cozumel, etc.

Coming back, northbound, we were finally able to have the shade open - for the last 2 evenings.

Thank you! And thanks to others who have given helpful replies. Obviously requests are welcome. I seriously doubt all the dozens who post about them are lying as suggested.

This is our first time on Carnival and I asked the family if they'd prefer a table so we could see the dancing. Their response was that they couldn't care less about the dancing. They wanted a window.

I wouldn't worry about the rude people including the person that "doesn't buy" someone's story.

I did a request when we sailed on Royal. I asked for a table for four by a window. And my request was honored. I didn't bribe anyone, just a simple email saying if possible here is what I would like. There is no harm in asking. And we had a great view that I got a bunch of good photos out that window.

No response from the Inspiration M'D this week. Emailed late on Tuesday evening and thought I might have heard back by today. Perhaps I timed it wrong, since Tuesday is day two of the 4 day. Oh well, I guess I'll have to do it in person on Monday. Sigh.

If I were you I would feel free to make the request. However keep in mind it is a request and althu I am sure that everything possiable will be done to fill it. Keep[ in mind roughly 3000 people will be on the ship not every request can be filled 100 %.

Let me clarify that not all of the window tables are behind a wall. It's just that that was our experience, once. Good luck!

And I'm ignoring the meanies. ;) :eek:

No response from the Inspiration M'D this week. Emailed late on Tuesday evening and thought I might have heard back by today. Perhaps I timed it wrong, since Tuesday is day two of the 4 day. Oh well, I guess I'll have to do it in person on Monday. Sigh.

You most likely won't hear anything back. You will just happily discover that your wish has been granted, when you arrive at dinner the first night (or if you go & scope out your table that first afternoon). I've requested tables 5 or 6 times now, and have only had a response once. Don't stress about it -- you'll be fine! :)

No, you are not being picky at all. We always send a request for a table for 2 and ask that it be a private table. I hate those tables for 2 that are jammed right next to each other. Once on the Breeze they made a table for 4 by the window into a table for 2 for us. Sure helps to be Diamond!

How do you get the email address in the first place? How would you know his name?

When you have been on lots of CCL cruises you get to know the Senior Maitre'D on many ships and almost all of them have given us not only their CCL e-mail addresses for future requests, but they have given us their personal e-mail address so we can stay in touch even if he is on a ship we are not sailing on. I have mentioned in passing that we were going to be on such and such a ship in the future and they often send a nice note to the Maitre D on that ship to make sure he takes good care of us. Diamond opens doors, but so does generous tipping! Heck on one cruise the Maitre'D even sent us a bottle of wine.

Edited by DebJ14

• 2 months later...

FYI: I emailed the week of my cruise ( EMAILED on Monday, and was cruising on Sunday), never received a reply, but I did get a table for 2, by a window.

We were so pleasantly surprised. Cruise was great.

Frankly, I don't buy your story about anonymity, myths, eighth-handed questionable truths, and gullible noobs.

It's much more likely people are just telling the truth.

Edited by DrHfuhruhurr

On one cruise, 4 of us in 2 cabins thought we had our dining time/table linked but apparently not. My roomie and I ended up in a booth with a lovely couple and had a wonderful dinner, chatting away. But, we still wanted to sit with friends and family. We asked after dinner and they had us together the next evening and for the rest of the cruise.

On another cruise, 6 of us were at our table at one side of the dining room, not a bad location. But the people at the next table were loud and raucous the entire first dinner, and included a constantly SCREAMING toddler. Everyone within sight was giving them all the "evil eye" but they were too "happy" to notice the disruption they were causing. Even the servers were cringing.

As we got up to leave, we stopped by the hostess stand and told her where we were seated and could we please be moved to another table away from the loudmouth people. She said she would try but no guarantees. By the time we all got back to our cabins, Carnival had notes in our mailboxes with our new table assignment! It was on the opposite side of the room, and fabulously quiet. We didn't really hear anything overly loud the other nights and didn't see those people. Not sure if someone said something to them or not. I just know CCL took care of us with lightning speed.

Edited by Tennessee Rose
Wrong count.