Can You Bring Bottled Water on Board?

KCcruzor

I was wondering whether Carnival allows you to bring bottled water onto the ship? If it matters, it is the Carnival Paradise that we will be sailing.

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

No problem Ryan.

When you do a search for beverage policy on Carnival.com, you will find this section:

A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, and milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought onboard on embarkation day and must be in the guest's carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.

So the answer to your question is NO.

You can order a 12 pack of water from the fun shops prior to sailing ($3.99+ tax) or after you board ($3.99).

Edited by evandbob

evandbob,

Your response has me confused. Water is non-alcoholic and we would have maybe ten, 8-oz unopened bottles of water.

But then you say the answer to my question is 'no'?? Could you please clarify?

The quoted rules state cartons or cans not bottles. I think unopened cans and cartons are OK because you haven't smuggled spirits aboard in an opened bottle

NO bottles of soda or water are allowed. The only bottles allowed now are 1 bottle of wine per person (over the age of 21). All water and/or soda must be in cans, not bottles.

evandbob,

Your response has me confused. Water is non-alcoholic and we would have maybe ten, 8-oz unopened bottles of water.

From the search I copied:

A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.

So either bring CANS of water on board, pre-purchase bottles or order on board, drink the water available on tap or in the buffet machines or just do without, your choice.

At $3.99 for a 12 pack delivered to your cabin it hardly seems worth the effort to tote water aboard with you. :D

We ordered it ahead of time and it was waiting in our cabin upon our arrival.

Go to "In room gifts and shopping ...

Inroom Beverages...

Water...

Then you order how much you want as a "gift". I did a welcome aboard note for DH ... :D (you pay when you order with a credit or debit card)

evandbob,

BOTTLES is the key word here. No bottles of water, soft drinks or juice allowed. The only bottled product allowed is 1 bottle of wine per person over 21. If you want to bring water, soft drinks or juice they have to be in CANS or CARTONS.

I bought 8 12 packs for $2.99 each when they first announced the new policy. Im going on the TA I figured 1/2 pack per day plus.

As mentioned from previous posters, its now $3.99 for a 12 pack of water. Norwegian cruises charges $40.00 for a 12 pack and you are absolutely not allowed to bring any liquid refreshments on board: water, canned sodas, and if you bring wine on board, you are charged $15 on embarkation. Yea for Carnival!

We like to bring a dairy creamer but the smallest they come in is a 16oz. I wonder if a couple of 16oz cartons is something they will look the other way?

Be prepared to throw it out if they don't allow it.

I brought on cartons of orange juice the last time I cruised. Under the limit in both size and quantity.

The security people said I couldn't bring it on. They seemed unaware of the rules (I don't think they are Carnival employees).

I had a copy of the policy and once I showed it to them they were ok with my OJ.

I would recommend that everyone taking drinks onboard should have a copy of the Carnival policy in their carryon.

Edited by Joules1111

I had three small bottles of cold water left over from my pre cruise hotel stay and without even thinking I put them in my carry on, and sure enough I was pulled out of line and they were taken away .I really was not even thinking about it as it was water. I tried telling them I needed them for medication and was told sorry ... this was in Ft. Lauderdale.

I always bring my creamer. Unopened, plastic container and carried on. No problems ever.

it looks like the rule was put in place before your last cruise so that would be the only one where it would have made a difference.

be aware they can (and have) taken these away since the new rule started. Dont be surprised if they take it away on the next cruise. Just an FYI

BOTTLES is the key word here. No bottles of water, soft drinks or juice allowed. The only bottled product allowed is 1 bottle of wine per person over 21. If you want to bring water, soft drinks or juice they have to be in CANS or CARTONS.

And everyone can thank the people who have been smuggling their booze in over the years in water, mouthwash, soda and other kind of bottles. And as those jerks continue to do this by other means and get caught other restrictions will be given to those who live by the rules.

And everyone can thank the people who have been smuggling their booze in over the years in water, mouthwash, soda and other kind of bottles. And as those jerks continue to do this by other means and get caught other restrictions will be given to those who live by the rules.

Ya know. All those 'smugglers' get a bad wrap as being the cause of all evil and this beverage policy...

I'm inclined to think that in the whole, the cruise lines lose out on more revenue by the masses of people that have been carting in cases of water, juices, etc. maybe that's why they stopped letting people check cases of beverages years ago with their own luggage tags etc. and making you carry them on. Can you imagine how much easier that makes loading the ship, for them?

Further, it's this 'anti-smuggler' demographic that yell vehemently that they should be able to bring on their own supply of beverages for a week. That way they don't ever have to buy anything onboard. Because 1.95 for a can of soda will add up to a fortune! I'm sure the cruise lines absolutely love this. Not. This demographic will come around here and brag how they spent nothing on their sign and sail account all week. I'm sure, carnivals most valued customers.

I don't really even have a dog in this hunt. My bar tab will attest, and I will always buy cheers. Those smugglers will spend more on drinks than the people that cart around cases of beverages so they don't spend money onboard. Just realize that it's the people that you 'anti smugglers' are complaining about are the ones that stabilize your low fares, because they spend money onboard above and beyond what they may be able to 'smuggle' on.

This is not directed specifically toward you, but this argument. I'm just so tired of beating this dead horse and the high and mighty attitude expressed in such statements.

Op, no you cannot bring on bottles of water. They can be purchased through the cruise line as others have mentioned. Just like most other things people carry on.

Edited by falkcor

Ya know. All those 'smugglers' get a bad wrap as being the cause of all evil and this beverage policy...

I'm inclined to think that in the whole, the cruise lines lose out on more revenue by the masses of people that have been carting in cases of water, juices, etc. maybe that's why they stopped letting people check cases of beverages years ago with their own luggage tags etc. and making you carry them on. Can you imagine how much easier that makes loading the ship, for them?

Further, it's this 'anti-smuggler' demographic that yell vehemently that they should be able to bring on their own supply of beverages for a week. That way they don't ever have to buy anything onboard. Because 1.95 for a can of soda will add up to a fortune! I'm sure the cruise lines absolutely love this. Not. This demographic will come around here and brag how they spent nothing on their sign and sail account all week. I'm sure, carnivals most valued customers.

I don't really even have a dog in this hunt. My bar tab will attest, and I will always buy cheers. Those smugglers will spend more on drinks than the people that cart around cases of beverages so they don't spend money onboard. Just realize that it's the people that you 'anti smugglers' are complaining about are the ones that stabilize your low fares, because they spend money onboard above and beyond what they may be able to 'smuggle' on.

This is not directed specifically toward you, but this argument. I'm just so tired of beating this dead horse and the high and mighty attitude expressed in such statements.

Op, no you cannot bring on bottles of water. They can be purchased through the cruise line as others have mentioned. Just like most other things people carry on.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I firmly believe the decision to no longer allow bottled water on the ship was not a result of anything other than they had been finding too many people smuggling liquor in the water bottles. Heck, my neighbors sailed on a Disney Cruise recently and boasted the (empty) bottles of shampoo that they purchased specifically for smuggling vodka and rum. Cheaters and non-ruler followers in my opinion do spoil it for everyone else.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I firmly believe the decision to no longer allow bottled water on the ship was not a result of anything other than they had been finding too many people smuggling liquor in the water bottles. Heck, my neighbors sailed on a Disney Cruise recently and boasted the (empty) bottles of shampoo that they purchased specifically for smuggling vodka and rum. Cheaters and non-ruler followers in my opinion do spoil it for everyone else.

Granted. We are all allowed to agree disagree. I'm down with that, and welcome thoughtful discourse.

Sure. They were checking for liquor in water bottles. I bet once they started doing that those people stopped doing that.

It sure would be a pain to do that, though, if half the people on the ship decided to bring on their own water by the case, wouldn't it?

The whole time, the ship sells water, by the way. They now sell it by the 12 pack for an incredibly reasonable price. They sell soda, juice, most other things too!

What I am saying is that quite frankly, it is the people that chose to bring on WHATEVER that created the problem.

The fact that the cruise line allows it is an aside, but for the fact that anyone can bring on a 12 pack of whatever - that is what creates an issue of overhead in clearing all of that. Would it be ok to bring on a 12 pack of explosives instead of Diet Coke or bud light? That's also part of why they (security!) check.

My original post was in response to how it's the smugglers fault. In reality, I think the cruise line has a bigger problem with the perhaps even repeat cruisers that scheme to spend no money on board, in part by bringing on beverages for a week. They sell the same thing (most times, not counting for specialty stuff etc). Those people who don't spend money onboard imo, cost the cruise line more than those nasty smugglers, who for the most part, will still have a hefty bar tab.